visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#304 O Scale BlueSky Company. Karl.A

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Thanks Rick, it was easier than I thought it would be.
    I fixed the crates, swapped out that limb which was the wrong color and dusted off the wall and roof, oh, and I chopped down that dead bush that was next to the fence and kept grabbing my eye so I planted a new green one instead.

now I've got to decide where to go next...
  • edited January 2021
    Where the hell is Wes?... dudes probably out on his surfboard catching a wave or ten, somebody needs to paddle out and go get him. hahaha
  • Trying to plan this side out, but, I'm just not 'feeling' it... I think I'll just go around to the store porch and give my brain a break for now.
  • a burn barrel and associated debris would be appropriate and look pretty cool too.
  • edited January 2021
    Kevin ! Yes ! but...
    the crates and things feed the cook house stove.
    But its a great idea i'll incorporate it into the boat yard, thanks, keep it coming...
    As Brett will agree, I love me a burn barrel.
  • these mini scenes of yours are just fantastic. I like the story they tell.
  • edited January 2021
    I cleared some desk space and am makin progress on the porch side while we think about and brainstorm on that stairway side, I'm open to ideas on the stairway side.
  • edited January 2021
    Thanks Steve, sorry, we were cross posting.
    I always feel re-creating a plausible story increases the reality of a scene, based on familiar, logical reality improves the look and helps people associate with what they see and relate to.
  • Nice and lively scene. I'll be expecting a raccoon.
  • Paper would be blown in and around, especially under the stairs and of course the raccoons would have dragged some cans or bottles under the stairs where they could enjoy the fruits of their labor!
  • Thanks for the comments and input Bryan and Tom, good to read you, maybe I'll get around to figures Bryan.
  • Finally catching up on this thread and there is so much to enjoy and study. The siding, the peeled paint the work benches and the garbage can pop but everything is so beautifully detailed and the colours and textures are just spot on. Looking forward to the next update.
  • Thanks for your kind words Joel,
    slow progress right now, maybe an update later if I finish the porch/driveway.
  • edited January 2021
    Couldnt find a casting of a racoon Bryan, so, here's what chased those pesky varmits away...

Dont let that grey muzzle and grey eyebrows fool you, he's still got a sparkle in his eyes, and ALL his teeth

Dont get too close to his truck or his 'squeeky rabbit' ... haha

I sure do miss that big ole boy...

• The dog tells a fun story and nicely painted.

If you add the phrase "3d printed" to any search phrase you can likely find something at Shapeways. I saw a nice looking skunk family there yesterday while browsing for raccoons. I'm going to need those skunks at some point.

• Talk about a time warp! I finished up my HO build of "Son of Brass and Iron Foundry" and I'm contemplating what the next project will be, which I have decided will be in O scale. So I'm considering "Logging and Tractor Repair Shed" or "Blue Sky Warehouse" and I look on this forum to see if there is a discussion thread on Blue Sky and sure enough here is this one at the top of the current discussions.

I've been away for a few weeks and was really happy to see my old convention roomie back posting and when I looked to see when this thread was started I couldn't believe it was June 2011. It has to be one of the first ones on Brett's forum. After a year or so there were a couple of lulls, one starting in October 2013. Next post was on September 2018 asking Karl how this turned out. Karl replies a little progress has been made. Next post was January 10, 2021 and Karl says "Gettin' there slowly".

While I was away for a few weeks there have been almost five pages of great modeling and photos by one of the best ever- Karl A. Great going friend- delighted to see you back and a lot of the old gang back admiring your fabulous work.

• edited January 2021
    Thanks Bryan,
    I actually meant I couldnt find one here in my drawers, not ready to be spending right now, besides, I got enough here to keep me busy and going for quite some time, lol.

Thanks for those kind words Mike, its good to be back at the bench and trying again. The logging tractor shed and the bluesky was the same choice I had, my bluesky was further along so that made it easier for me to ease back into this whole modeling thing after the boiler house and wood cutters I just finished...

I'm already looking at my shelves trying to decide whats next my friend, so thats a good thing.
    Thank you always for your continued support through out and our friendship.
  • Tonights goal is to get the dirt road, gas pump scene and boat slip finished... we'll see

• Bare dirt calling your name! Waiting to see what you do with it.....Rick
  • Indeed Rick !!
    It sure is a big empty space and if you know my modeling, big empty spaces ain't my thing.
    I have an idea or two, but damn its a lot of real estate.
    It'll work out...
  • edited January 2021
    Laying out the gas pump scene as per the manual before I finish weathering the details, build/paint the gas pump and glue it all down.

Time to paint the pump,
    this casting always reminds me of Kevin sitting in 'the casting room' ten years ago working on the original for the pilot, I kept going in every 20mins and asking him "are you done yet?" haha...
    his reply... "I'm Doaning it up"
    I guess that's why I always leave this casting till last. Great memories.

(and I obviously found the handles for the oil boys as you can see, the models are awesome anyway, but that next level of SWSM detail makes a big difference every time)
  • A closeup on the tanks would be great. Love the two levels. On the side you weren't "feeling" aren't the vertical boards a bit large? They must be nearly two feet across compared to the door.
  • Old southern barns had super wide boards... swamp cypress. Very common down here. Our trees grow really big down here bro! I have purchased old barn boards for shelving and 30" is common.
  • Up here a board that wide is so valuable we use them for tables! Seriously. Funny these south, north differences.

Oddly, my porch here is cypress! Put down in 1866. Tough wood but FULL of knots!
  • EricMG said:

On the side you weren't "feeling" aren't the vertical boards a bit large? They must be nearly two feet across compared to the door.

Nope, they are standard 1x12 siding the door is 30" wide hence the 2.5 boards above it. Everything is in scale.

which tanks?

• edited January 2021
    Tonights goal is to transfer all the details from the old rail dock to the new waterfront dock.
    I think the only detail I epoxied down was the heavy metal scales, everything else was just Elmer's so everything should pop off easy enough... hopefully.
  • edited January 2021
    Soaked around the details with 'our' usual clean alcohol to disolve the glue.
    A few soaks and some gentle 'wiggling' and everything came off nice and clean, I'll work on the epoxied scales later now that I've got some room.

The two main reasons for this post... Firstly, now the details are gone you can see clearly the subtle shadowing I added when they were glued in place to blend them into the dock, probably not noticed before... because it just looked natural.
    Bill alluded to this in his post earlier in this thread, blending, layers, depth.

The main message though is to those of you who (like me) hesitate to do things because we get scared of messing it up. Trust me...

Almost EVERYTHING IS REVERSIBLE, if you mess it up, just try again. So just DO IT.

""The worst that can happen is you have to try it again."" :- Brian Nolan 2007
    The best advice he gave me. It set me free.
  • Job done...

Shadows, highlights and final detailing will be added in the final diorama stage.
  • I had never considered adding shadowing. I am glad you showed it. Made me go back and look at the before photos above. Thanks for the heads up.......Rick
  • Always enjoy watching you model......searching out all the little details...