visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#304 O Scale BlueSky Company. Karl.A

Comments

• Fantastic results. Such an easy way to achieve the full board on board look without all the tedious hand work. Cannot wait to see more!
  • Thanks Brett, such an easy way to get fantastic results.

Time for me to move on with the diorama planning.
  • edited January 2021
    Well, I don't like it, but, here it is.... I've already decided I'm going to tear it apart and rebuild it differently tomorrow.
    One step forward, one step back...
  • edited January 2021
    So I played around in photoshop for a few minutes (20) with the last picture I posted and came up with this adjustment,
    I reduced the number of 'legs', reduced their diameter and eliminated the bracing,

before cutting any wood,
    thoughts ??
  • Seems like it would need some bracing. X braxing maybe?
  • edited January 2021
    Good thinking Jim, I had lateral cross bracing planned, but, even at that previous early stage I realized that the decking supports were 'overpowering' the structure.
    I'll work OUR ideas into the overall finished scene, some how.
    Thanks for the thoughts, any more?
  • edited January 2021
    I got bored, so, had a few more coronas, pulled that original dock apart and rebuilt it...
    I'm liking it more now, definitely not as 'heavy' and it's construction doesn't overpower the structure so much.

• I like it. I think the legs will depend on whether they are sitting on dry land or in the water. Kind of looks like you are going with a waterfront scene here which I think would be outstanding.
  • I see your point of not wanting to overwhelm the eye and distract from the structure. It would certainly have had some sort of bracing but you are obviously free to use artistic discretion. it does look good.
  • edited January 2021
    The bracing could be steel rods similar to the ones I see on bridges, coaling towers, & water tanks. They are not over powering due to smaller size. Might add a nice rusty look as well.
    Just a thought.
  • super cool!
  • Thanks man, time to clean this mess up and get out some dirt and details...

• Playtime...
  • edited January 2021
    Well, I wanted to start dirt work, but, forgot several key things I needed to do first.
    Main one being the track and ties epoxied to the bare base, also,
    the 'concrete' base for the gas pump scene, the three rail fence, the cook house...
    I guess I better get to work on those first before I pull out the scenery supplies.
  • edited January 2021
    I redid the cook house casting after my previous try that I didnt like.
    Unfortunately after clearing the desk now I cant find the laser sheet with the window,
    it'll turn up tomorrow.
  • Karl, that brickwork turned out wonderful.

• Beautiful brickwork. Looking forward to you bringing this across the finish line.....Rick
  • Thanks Alex and Rick, working on sundries tonight, hopefully a day of dirt tomorrow.
  • As the others have pointed out, the stone retaining wall is really outstanding. 3 different earth tones washed with a little A/I is all it took. How much drying time did you allow before washing the pieces with alcohol & ink?

I saw a few stones in the prior pic that were still wet. If you washed it while still damp, I’m surprised how you could retain that nice individual color definition.

Brick work is awesome. And I agree... gotta find those windows.
    Check near the back of your desk, the chair cushion, and bottoms of your shoes. (Those are the top 3 places mine always end up.)
  • Thanks Bill, the wash was black paint not A/I, i just waited till it looked dry, about 15mins.
    (I found the laser window sheet in the kit box, typical)
  • edited January 2021
    Well I wasnt really happy with the stone walls, they look way too dark in person, and even though they are mostly covered by the dock two of the sections are very visible, I realised I had to adjust them.
    So I took them off the base and threw down the first heavy layer of dirt onto the base, then removed the dio off my desk.
    While that is sitting behind me drying I gave the wall sections a couple of washes of craft 'sandstone', this gives a lighter dusty appearance, I like it for rocks. I'm happier.
    Now I need to find some other things to do while I wait for the base dirt to dry out...
  • edited January 2021
    Base still isn't dry so I found some more things to do...

built the three rail fence
    added the bracing to the water tank platform
    added all the rafter tails (we all love that job, right? but damn its worth it)
    went around all sides of the structures and touched up any clean cut
    wood ends, yes, I know, some more will show up when I post pictures.
    made a few more pallets, I love that jig
    added the trim to the porch roof
    re-glued the store door in place, for the 4th time
    stared at my shelves of models to try and decide what to finish next...
    thought about weathering the tarpaper but decided, I've got to eat first.
    Time to go cook.

• Karl, I like your redo of the stone wall. The first one would have worked, but I’m partial to the lighter tones. Phil
  • Thanks Phil, I agree with you completely, glad you like it, I'm much happier.
    I'm not trying to 'raise any bars ' right now, just relax,
    That said, 'good enough' isn't good enough and I wont make excuses.
    If I know it needs to be better, and if I can, I will.

Piss poor ain't happening here.
  • Karl, that's why we build - to be innovative, to be creative, to be better, and to be proud of what we produce. Phil
  • indeed Phil, thanks.

Note to self :- Remember to take the plastic sheeting off of the foam base before applyin the dirt !!!! Dangnabit !!!

Just one more redo to add to the list, but, its been cleaned off, redone and now progress... I guess its time to glue down the structures, stone walls are epoxied and I cant put it off any longer. Progress !!!
  • edited January 2021
    Everything epoxied to the base, no going back now.

no, the roofs aren't weathered yet.