visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#304 O Scale BlueSky Company. Karl.A

Comments

• Thanks Karl.

I used super glue previously, but things broke off too easily. Hope to get it back together this weekend.
  • Karl, Wes thanks for the comments on the peeling paint. I think that is the easiest thing I have done. That is one of the most easiest and effective processes I’ve seen.

Karl, like Bill said WOW. In my mind I thought the yellow was going to be a little strong. But with the rust and weathering, it looks so natural. And Karl, the wheels would be shiny if the tractor has been in the field any time soon.

Alan, thanks for the thoughts on the cross ties and track. Thinner ties and lighter rail, that I can do. Brett had mentioned 4x8, that being in line with what you suggested, It all depends on what size lumber I can find around here. I am guessing 6’ long with 12” separation?
    I found this link today and he makes it look easy once you build the jig.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16420&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=cross+ties

• A comment from a "former lad" in farm country in Ontario Canada. Tractors before the bemoths we have now were very rudimentory. Lights were mostly optional and most farmers could not afford them or chose to not pay for them.
  • Thanks Dwaine, I appreciate the kind comments. Yellow is one of my favorite colours for these effects, a nice contrast with blackened bare metal and it discolours very nicely with Bretts chalk techniques.

Karl.A
  • Wes, Dwaine, Bryan...... and anybody else building this kit......

How about seeing some of your progress shots...... I need some inspiration and motivation to get back to the bench.... and particularly this build.

Karl.A
  • Well Karl here is an update. First thanks for reminding me that I have not posted in a long while. It sounds kind of seedy to say that I have been a lurker, but if the shoe fits...

I have the main set of structures complete with most of the details installed. I have been populating the area and have it set temporarily in place on the layout. The only things left to do are a few details like a pile of pallets, the mail box and light pole. I'm planning on lighting this one with LED's in the light pole, under the porch roof and maybe one above the doorways on the loading dock. I also have to keep my eyes out for some dry transfers to put on some of these crates. I think that would look cool.

The 2nd pic shows it's location at the end of the layout. Since this layout is a couple of feet longer than my last one in N scale, the lights end where you see the big tree trunk rising behind the camp office. This hides the wiring that was previously hidden by a backdrop. This causes lots of shadows at the end of the layout. I may add another string of lights at the end or leave it as is and call it a setting sun causing the shadows. The lights on the buildings will take care of this area either way.

I really like putting LP's in the scene as they bring it to life for me. There is a group having a Coke, a dock worker, a guy filling his coffee pot at the cooler, a pair of guys adding an extension to the fence, a worker looking for his lost tool and a guide backing a loco up to the dock.

This project got put on a hold for me also as I am currently fixing turnout problems, but once that is finished I want to finish this project up. I won't be building the workshop right away. That will end up in another part of the layout. Maybe to the right of the rigging shed in photo 2 or on the other side of the layout near the sawmill.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Hey Bryan

Some nice looking mini scenes going on there. The first picture in particular looks good.

Karl I need to get off my backside and take some pics of where I am with this build at the moment. Ill try and get some done tonight.
  • edited September 2012
    Well, you really have made alot of progress Bryan, thanks for bringing us up to date on the build. The Lp's really do add some life to the structure and tell a story.
    Some really good modeling throughout !! Definately what I was hoping to see for motivation, keep us informed of your progress when the track issues are resolved.

Wes, post some pics already!

Thanks to you both for responding, great to hear (and see) that progress is being made, albeit not on my bench......

Karl.A
  • WesWes
    edited September 2012
    Hi all

Well thanks to Karl, i found some time to post pics where I am with this build. So far all the buildings are placed, 75% of the scenery is done and some of the huge amount of castings are placed. So many more to go.

Here are the pics
    Ive added some barb wire here instead of the wooden fence to change it up a little.

I have a tree or 2 that I want to add aswell as some more taller shrubs. Let me know your thoughts.
  • Incredible looking diorama Wes !!
    The structure looks fantastic and the scenery is really coming along well.
    Cant wait to watch you moving into the final phases of the build and detailing the heck out of it.

Adding the corrugated to the porch and cookhouse has really personalised your model. The corrugated material came out really well indeed, awesome rust effect.

I hope you kept the shed roof removeable as I'd really like a closer look at that great looking tractor 'peeking out' of there.

Karl.A
  • Simply outstanding Wes, I really like the barbed wire fence and as Karl mentioned the corrugated. The peeling paint on the pump and oiler looks very convincing too. Can't wait to see it fully detailed!
  • Hmmm. Looks like you guys have been sandbaggin' on us. LOTS of progress, indeed.
    Bryan-
    Wow! That 4th picture shows off those tones and texture in your wood work. Good stuff! I also LOVE the contrast between the siding on Shelby's and the wood on the landing/staircase (picture 7). I never would have considered making one darker than the other, but that combination works perfectly.

Wes-
    Another wow! It's already been mentioned but I gotta congratulate your work on the corrugated roofing. The roof over the tractor shed is exceptional! Coming off my struggles with this stuff, I'm anxious to hear your methods. If you've got S-B-S pictures, please share 'em! Also on my list of photo requests, I'd like to see some close ups of the fence.

Congrats, gentlemen on some fine modeling. AND you put the ball back into Karl's court!
    What say you, Young Minion??
  • Thanks for the very inspiring words Bill Brett and Karl.

I have left the roof removable, so Ill try take some pics tonight of it.

Bill the corrugated roofing turned out to be extremely easier than what I thought it would be. Ill have to show some pics this evening on how i did it.
  • edited September 2012
    Hey Wes
    My attentions have been elsewhere lately so I'm just getting caught up with what everyone is working on. As Karl is, I'm
    really drawn to how we do our corrugated roofing and yours is outstanding as are all other components of your build. Also like the YM I want a better look at that tractor, it looks great! One nitpick if you don't mind is the growth in the middle of the road especially where it goes around the turns so perfectly. Perhaps way less and just a subtle hint of growth or even just delineate the road with a darker shade of dirt in the middle. It's one of those things that to me detracts rather then adds to an otherwise beautiful diorama.

OM
  • Hi Kevin

Nice to hear from you again, and as always thanks for the kind comments. The road was only partly done, but last night I tore it all out and plan to restart it next week with some modifications.

I`ll post some more when Im done.

Here is a pic with the shed roof off and the tractor.

• After the positive experience I had in lighting the tractor repair shed I decided to retrofit the Blue Sky with lights. Not as easy as doing it as you build.

I am installing 4 lights. The lamp pole at the gas pump, a goose neck over the stair landing and 2 lights under the overhangs that will have no shades. Due to the slope of the overhangs the LED's are not seen.

To start I cut holes in the pink foam base under to pull the wires, making sure that they were completely underneath the structure and not seen. I drilled a small hole in the wall where the light would go and after wiring the LED I threaded the wires through the holes and fished them from the holes in the foam with a hook.

From there I wired the lights to an ngineering Power Distribution Jr module. A 1" hole was drilled through the plywood and a piece of scrapwood was secured underneath the hole. The module will sit in the hole. I did not want it being in direct contact with the foam. I ran a wire from the Tractor Repair lighting and fed the module.

Amazingly it worked the first time I threw the switch and I really like the effect even though the pics are grainy. If this dio ever needs to be moved I simply need to cut the feeder wires and the light module is attached to the dio.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • A shout out to Brownbr - first of all I love this build ! I was thinking of using some LED lights as you've done. In fact I've rigged a couple already on a different model. Did you actually get the LED in that goose neck light over the stairs? As well, I got 3mm lights instead of 5 mm - I like the size but they are a bit faint compared to the 5mm...
  • Ditto for the light by the pump . The lights I bought are by Evans who have some cool products but I should try and see if my 3mm lights will fit under a hood.
  • Karl, curious how Blue Sky turned out?

George
  • Lighting is great, love the image of the pow wow outside the Dry Goods store.
  • geoawelch said:

Karl, curious how Blue Sky turned out?

George

Thanks for asking George, a little further progress was made. but. it's currently sitting on my 'unfinished shelf' with a couple of others waiting for me to get started again.

Karl.A
  • Beautiful dioramas you guys build here. One kit and so many approaches . From every build shown here, one learns something. Super !! Thanks.
  • Gettin there slowly.
    10yr00

10yr01

10yr02

10yr03

Karl.A
  • Karl, I didn't know there was an O scale Blue Sky. Great work. Keep those updates coming. Phil
  • Welcome back to the Workbench Karl
  • Thanks Phil and Alan.
    Come on Phil, keep up, this baby has been out for 10yrs, innovative then, still is today.
  • Karl, I’m just not as well versed on the O scale kits. Phil
  • Gonna have to introduce you to more my friend, there's some empty spots on your shelves that need filling... haha
  • this is my next project Karl, but in HO scale. I will be watching closely.
  • Wow, this is looking so good already!!! Very nice and subtle wood colors. Great to see you' re moving again Karl.. :smiley: