visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#304 O Scale BlueSky Company. Karl.A

Comments

• Thanks again for the Lind words karl and Dwaine. I'm looking forward to putting the rest of this monster together.

Dwaine, I Havnt used any chalks on this build. Just an AI stain that I mixed up. as for the fuzzies, I have just used an old pencil eraser to rub them off. I Havnt distressed the wood too much with the wire brush so fuzzies have also been minimal.
  • I’ve been working on the barn roof for some time now, and hopefully got it finished so I can start on the warehouse. Your right Wes, don’t realize just how big it is until the roof is finally on. Super!!

Wes your coloring looks great, I sure thought about using one of the ‘craft paint’ soaking stains and weathering with chalk. Still might do it when I get to the machine shop shed.

Comments welcome,
    Dwaine
  • Don't guess I attached my image.. try again..........dwaine
  • I like how it has turned out Dwaine. The colouration on your door is especially nice. have you completed any of the other buildings in the kit? Its nice to be building the same kit with someone else.

I keep meaning to work on the thing, but work and other activities are taking up all my time. I hope to post soon.
  • Have just now finished the walls for the whse.
    Not as far along as I would want to be, my cruse director has decided that other things are more important. At least I got all the Christmas lights up.............
  • Coming along nicely Dwaine. Im really loving the build of this beast. Lastnight i completed all the roofs of the main buildings. i also glued the smokestack onto the office roof. That and the tar paper will be weathered tonight with some migand bragdon weathering powders.

Here is a pic of the 3 main buildings and the loading dock posing for a trial run pic. Nothing is glued together. Please ignore the photo quality.

• I like both builds men.
  • Nice builds on a very interesting structure.
  • edited December 2011
    I think i'm gonna jump back in on this one.....

Time to re-open the box and work on some stripwood.......

Karl.A
  • love that peeling paint...
  • Thanks indeed Brett, I'm real pleased with it.

Karl.A
  • Hey YM, that looks ab-fab!!! Especially because I know it probably took you no more than 5min. To get that result.
    OM

Note: ab-fab is absolutely fabulous which is crazy Brit comedy that is making a return soon.
  • Very nice. How did you do the peeling paint effect?
  • Thanks very much Kevin, you know me too well... (4mins)

Thanks Brian, the peel was done using tape to lift the paint.

Karl.A
  • Karl, looking good man !!!!!!

Are you going to "peel" the window and door frames? Have done my walls, but can't decide on a color for the door and windows............Dwaine
  • Thanks indeed Dwaine.
    Actually the windows, window frames and door frames have already been coloured using 408.5 chalk (same colour as the barn). They will remain as 'bare wood' with no paint added. I like this look as per Bretts model on the website, simple and effective I think.

Karl.A
  • Fantastic peeling paint, Karl. When you use the tape peel, had you applied hairspray or rubber cement or anything as a relief first--or just really sticky tape??

OM--wow, I haven't heard "Ab-Fab" mentioned in years. A co-worker of mine used to love that show, and yes, they're doing a 20th anniversary special on Sunday on BBC. Personally, I'm holding out for a "Faulty Towers" reunion.
  • Personally, I'm holding out for a "Faulty Towers" reunion.
    I wouldn't hold your breath , Bill . Can't see it ever happening .

Nick

• love the recessed windows...
  • The subtle hint of nail holes is done brilliantly Karl.
  • Thanks indeed Brett and Wes,
    Finished installing the windows/door and glued the front three walls together (big wall is just propped up for now.

Karl.A
  • That looks f....ing awesome YM!

OM
  • hey guys

Im back with some minor progress. karls work is pretty impressive and is seriously pushing me to improve my modelling.

Ive finished the drill press and the grinder for the repair shed.

Ive also managed to complete the floor that they will stand on.

Looking forward to your comments.
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that the grinding wheels and the wire representing the drill bit on the press still need to be added.
  • Hey, the surf must have calmed down. "Wave Slave" Wes has parked his board and he's back at the work bench!! Looks like a nice start on your machinery. How'd you do the chipped paint? Looks like Depot Green, correct?
    I tried to add a hint of color to the supports on my husk saw with ok results, so I'm interested to hear how you did it.

The whole project is looking good, Wes. Take your time and keep at it.
    And enough hangin' 10! Between you and your surfing and Kevin and his golf nonsense.
    *sigh*
    Well, I'm goin' snowmobiling. I'll check back when you guys get serious about our hobby!
  • Good to see you back at the bench Wes. Great job on those details, nice chip effect and not over done, just used.
    I'll be interested to see how you make these 'operational'.

Great work
    thanks for the compliments.

Karl.A
  • Hey Bill. Good to be back at the bench again. Thought I'd post something before you guys all gave up on me. I promise to do more modelling than surfing. :)

Thanks Karl. Much appreciated. Always nice to hear your comments, although your last few posts have seriously made me think of taking up knitting or some other hobby.

Regards
    Wes