visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• It is coming along. Very exciting phase of the build. Based on the Ho/HOn3 O'Neills kit sitting in front of me, the O Scale version will have to just be ridiculously good! Can't wait to see what's new for the O Scale version...
  • Working along on the placement of the Main Components of the diorama and will have an update this weekend. In the mean time, visit the castings thread for the latest detailed casting from the O'Neills collection.
  • Ken which castings thread is that Please? I am just trying to catch up with your progress having finally landed with a little jet lag after more than 24 just Flying!
  • Michael, go to recent discussions and it is Detailing Castings.
  • edited September 2016
    There are numerous ways to go about diorama building and detailing, and everyone has their particular method(s). I am going to outline the next step I took prior to "planting" the first structure of the O'Neills Complex, the Main Building.

I applied a second, darker and coarser, layer of dirt after the initial layer shown earlier. Lets regress a bit, and remember this is not how to do it but how I do it. Paths, walkways, trails, etc are typically lighter in color and smooth compared to the surrounding dirt and debris. What is difficult, but important to overcome, is having a path border too bold and defined. The edges should gradually blend into the surrounding edges. The color of the dirt should be lighter but close to the same base color as it is the same dirt, just packed down and smooth from foot traffic or whatever.

So back to what I'm doing here. As you can see in the image, I placed the template cut out, as instructed in the manual, over the outline of the Main Building. I also marked and covered the small areas where the Addition supports and stairways were located as I built these all on the same level surface as the Main Building. I then applied my second layer of dirt. I wanted the area under the Addition and the areas leading out from the door that is under there to be worn and smooth from the foot traffic. However, this is a bit harder to do once the building is set in place. You have two basic options; one is to make the dirt layer fine and smooth and then add the coarse OR make the dirt layer a bit coarse and then smooth it where you want...and that's what I do.

Regress again...The beauty of working with a layer of slightly coarser dirt is in the simplicity and effect of how paths and walkways can be made. once the dirt layer is fully dry paths are made by simply rubbing your finger over the area you want. This will naturally smooth the area, lighten the color just right, and provide a smooth transition to the coarser areas at the sides.

Back to the plan here. So I temporarily placed the Main Building on the diorama and decided where the smooth area and path should be that would be hard to get to once the structure was in place. I then removed it and "installed" the area as can be seen in the photo. I brought the smooth area out just enough to where I could continue on with the building glued down.

This is awfully long winded but the technique will be used throughout the rest of the diorama construction so you can see how it evolves. If any, or all of it, is confusing please ask for clarification!

P9180017

Note smoothed area under where the addition would obstruct access.

P9180018

"path" leading from under addition that can now be easily picked up and continued unobstructed.
  • Had to show this next shot as it illustrates the ease and effect of this technique...

P9180015

I decided to add the worn area leading from the bottom of the stairs before setting the building. This literally took 10 seconds to do. I will refine it once the structure is set but notice how nice the transition is between the path and the surrounding coarser area...
  • Ken, continued great work. As you know, I'm on vacation and have started the mine. I'll post once I get back. After working on these new kits, it's going to be hard to go back to the old kits. However, maybe I'll pick up a new trick or two to use on the old kits. Phil
  • Ken, great description of your soil "planting" and texturing. I was always in the thought that, as you mentioned, that the soil would be of the same or nearly the same, color where foot traffic had worn it smoother. Looking forward to the rest of your wonderful build and great tutorials. Also your forthcoming tutorial on texturing wood.

Bill
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks Phil, and trust you're having a nice relaxing vacation. I assumed overseeing the construction and moving into your new house was a vacation!
  • Thanks for your thoughts Bill and glad to hear the description at least made some sense! Right you are. I have seen paths made with completely different dirt and it just doesn't quite look right. Makes it so much fun posting when I know it's helpful and appreciated, thanks again.

You got me! I should have gotten the wood detailing tutorial going before now, but once I dove into the diorama proper and the castings together, my time disappeared...imagine that! Will get that going soon, and thanks for "rattling my cage" about that.

• ken,
    i just ordered my O scale version of this kit, and can only hope to get close to your results. amazing work on siding boards, and everything else. this is fantastic work! i do , however have a question about the dirt application: when you're rubbing in your paths, has the dirt already been glued down, or do you do this prior to the gluing?
  • Congrats on securing the wonderful O Scale version of O'Neills. I appreciate your thoughts and am a bit jealous based on that initial image of the pilot model and the description of what's new with the O Scale kit!

The paths are all made after the dirt is glued and completely dry. That is key for this to work. When you rub your finger over the dirt it knocks down the high spots and large aggregate creating a smooth path with nice transition to the edge. Rub a little get a little variation, rub a bunch and you get a very smooth area.
  • thanks ken. duly noted for future reference.
  • Where the updates Ken? I need my daily awesomeness fix and Im not getting it.

Love the base so far buddy.
  • edited September 2016
    Wes...I'm pathetically slow aren't I? I am detailing the interior of the Welding Shop before I plant it permanently, and thought I'd just put in a few quick details, oh..no...I had to get all involved with it...Although the roof will be un-removable, if you look through the open doors you can see stuff! A few quick details just won't do...

So, with that about done I will be putting in a couple of simple LEDs and then move on to the planting of the remainder of the structural components...I will post an update this weekend regardless of what I do or don't get done...I love the "poke" in the side on this one Wes...you're a good man my friend...Ken
  • Hey Wes, finished up the interior detailing on the Welding Shop. Few more smaller items to go but essentially done. Next up is to install the rafters and then the roof goes on. Will update as it evolves...Ken

P9230014

P9230018

P9230017

P9230015

P9230043

P9230035

P9230044
  • Looks awesome Kenny! I like the dirty look of your floor.
  • edited September 2016
    Appreciate that Alan, and the grungy floor gets a nod...well alright!
  • This shot gives a bit of scale perspective...Ken

P9230014A
  • You have huge hands man...
  • No...that thing is small my man...you've got O Scale goggles on!
  • That is some awesome modeling! That is one awesome pic...
  • Can't help myself Brett!...I get to your interiors and I just caught up in it. Thanks for the thumbs up and also a great suggestion to get some shots of the scale like this...really nails it home how much detail is packed into your HO Scale kits despite the 1:87 size.
  • Ken wonderful detail in the welding shop, too beautiful for anyone to mess up by actually doing welding! Cannot wait to get home and on with some modelling trying to emulate the grubby master.
    I shall be very interested in how and where you add the LEDs please. I use copper foil underneath for powering them only 3v LEDs
  • It would be a shame...no a crime...to not make that roof removable.
  • edited September 2016
    Michael, Thanks much and nice hearing from you. Although the issue of LED lighting is something I have a very rudimentary knowledge of, installing the roof as a non-removable, I do want to highlight the interior through the open doors a bit. Details are a bit beyond the scope of the official forum build, so I may plug that process in on another thread. In addition, that would be a great venue for others with much more expertise, Alan!..., to wade in and give their thoughts on the subject.

I hear ya Bryan...the drive through canopy is beautifully designed and is attached to the side of the Welding Shop roof, so a fully removable roof is not in the cards here. Being a rather small shop, the views through the open doors are quite nice and afford a good perspective of the interior appointments. I plan to help it along just a bit with some basic lighting.

I am posting a couple more pictures of the finished shop that gives a better look at the entire thing. Sorry for the many images but I wanted good documentation prior to installing the roof...fast forward if needed!

P9240031

P9240029

P9240030
  • Ken,

I did not notice it previously but I must compliment you on the finish of the floor in this shed. What I said about your dull and dry surfaces certainly applies here. You set the standard. I would have never guessed that the lightness between the boards would look right but it does. In close up it looks like you, ever so slightly, took the edge off of each floor board. Subtle but most effective.

Mitch
  • Thanks Mitch and very perceptive. That is exactly what I did. On old floors, I like to sand off the sharp edge of the boards to give it they slightly rounded and worn appearance. The high part of the floor boards would become dark worn from foot traffic and the dirt would be forced into the cracks between which is the light color. It also has the benefit of highlighting individual boards and joints.

I do a similar treatment for old wall siding. I lightly sand the sharp edge off just the outside edges not the inside. The outside then appears worn and the inside edges nice and crisp...thanks again Mitch and nice "talking" with you...Ken

• Looks fantastic Ken. I'm also trying to figure out how I'll light my interior, curious to see what you come up with. It's tough to hide those wires.