visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Spike heads, 4 per tie is ambitious, but I certainly like the look of real spike heads. Phil
  • edited September 2016
    Alan, I know a bit of a lack luster update but want to try and keep posts somewhat regular if possible, otherwise folks think I'm loafing. Highly detailed track, as you know, is one of those things often ignored particularly in HO/HOn, but when done well I think really looks good and compliments the diorama.

If you followed my SWSM Loco and Service Shops build I hand glued hundreds of spike heads detailing that track along with rail joiners. O'Neills will be a breeze as there is considerably less track to work with. I like the look as well and really enjoy this level of detailing.
  • Anything less than 4 spikes per tie would be a let-down. OK, you can miss a spike or 2, but there had better be a hole in the tie where it used to be.
  • It is looking great. I went to look at this thread. But I heard some threads were lost? And I can't find the info on the track from this thread. Where did you get the spike heads you used. And would you please document how you do this if the other thread is gone?
    KKarns said:

If you followed my SWSM Loco and Service Shops build I hand glued hundreds of spike heads detailing that track along with rail joiners.

• Bryan, thanks for suggesting all the extra work, mind your own business!...joking of course...I plan on laying the track directly on the ties, backwoods style, so I'm doing just one spike on each side of the rail for each side...but I am doing rail joiners as well! Thanks for your thoughts my good man.

Jerry, yea...disappointing as my entire build thread was lost some time ago for the Loco and Service Shops. I'm on the Gallery here and in Completed HO Scale Builds here that features the finished diorama but gives a few good shots of the finished track detail. I mentioned somewhere that if anyone wanted any info. regarding that build I have all the images and will address them with the pictures. So...I will get the track detailing pics and add them to the HO Scale Builds under "SWSM Loco and Service Shops" I will describe what I used and will also update under O'Neills as I work through the track here.

Ken
  • Thanks Ken. Looking forward to it.
    KKarns said:

So...I will get the track detailing pics and add them to the HO Scale Builds under "SWSM Loco and Service Shops" I will describe what I used and will also update under O'Neills as I work through the track here.

Ken

• Jerry, posted some info. on HO Scale Builds for you.
  • Thanks Ken
    KKarns said:

Jerry, posted some info. on HO Scale Builds for you.

• Ken, I have just read your complete thread on building this wonderful kit. Thanks so much for taking the time to describe in detail how you have accomplished so many different aspects of your build! I would also like to thank you for your detail description of the barbed wire build on your "SWSM Loco and Service Shop" build. You are, without a doubt, a very skilled modeler and we all appreciate how you share the detailing of your builds! thanks,

Bill
  • Hi Bill, well that was an awfully nice thing to say and I really do appreciate it...thanks! It is very gratifying to hear from folks such as yourself that take the time to comment on the work going on here. Makes the hobby so much more enjoyable to have the camaraderie and friendship displayed by you and others on the forum. Such a wonderful motivator to get back to the bench and get some work done...I'm heading there now!...take care and thanks again Bill.
  • Oh forgot to mention Bill, that was really great how you remembered the simulated barbed wire I did on the Loco and Service Shops. That didn't get many comments/notices so nice to hear you saw it and at appreciate the effort there even if I do caution you not to look to close!...Ken
  • edited September 2016
    O'Neills track detailing is well under way. I have installed all the rail joiners and the spike heads are in almost through the first scale 35' of rail. Note also the final detailing on the ties once they were set with the roadbed in place. I made the rail joiners from styrene strip cut to length with NBWs alternating from bolt to bolt head as would be prototypical. I fashioned the spike heads by taking solder wire and "smushing" it out of round with a small brush handle then trimming off the spike heads with a razor blade. A bit tedious but time well spent here.

Once the remainder of the "spikes" are in I can get to placing O'Neills proper on the diorama and move along with the scenic details.

90014" title="P9090014"/>
  • Some close ups as I wasn't happy with the above images of the detail...

P9090017

P9090015

P9090014
  • That's some mighty fine work there Dr. Grunge....
  • Appreciate that Brett and O'Neills deserves and brings out the best modeling in all those having the privilege of building it. And you're right...I do seem to get a lot of crud under my finger nails!
  • Thanks Ken
    KKarns said:

Jerry, posted some info. on HO Scale Builds for you.

• No problem, that post was from my Loco and Service Shops. This one is the track I'm doing right now for O'Neills.
  • Look good...like the Rail Joiner.
  • Thanks Alan, appreciate that.

After hand installing 6 sets of rail joiners and 244 individually placed rail spike heads the track is now finished. I'm boring you with a couple more pictures of the finished rail line. Next up is the placement of O'Neills Main Building and on from there...Ken

P9100023

P9100019
  • Wow! That must have taken all day! Looks Great!
  • Really incredible track work. Just don't see that in HO Scale...
  • Alan, thanks and yes it chewed up a good bit of time between the ties, rails, spikes and joiners but well worth the extra effort as O'Neills just looks incredible sitting next to that track!

Appreciate that Brett, especially coming from you. Like I mentioned to Alan, O'Neills looks splendid sitting next to the finished track. I almost got carried away and glued the Main Building in place but realized I had a couple of final details to put up that I would want to be able to manipulate the building for!...soon, soon....
  • Ken, I also really like the track work. The color tones you have achieved on the ties right on as are the rails. I absolutely love the rail joiners and spike heads. I'm going to try the rail joiner idea when I build O'Neill's in O scale. Great idea and so prototypical.
    Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your scenery and building placement.

Bill
  • Detailed the two scalloped hanging lights under the Castings thread here. Included a shot here of one of the lights installed under the addition. Somewhat of a "mood" shot...

P9110016
  • Excellent Ken, This along with everything else you are doing on this build is well over the top, very well done !!! Following along in the shadows but seeing as you have now put in lights, I guess I should no longer be in the dark ...
    Thanks also for sharing so eloquently all of the tips and techniques you are employing in your build. Much appreciated !!
    All the best,
    --Paul
  • Hey Paul, nice to "see" you here and certainly appreciate your thoughts. The diorama is now in full swing with the Main Building firmly planted. This is great phase of the build seeing things come together. Thanks again Paul...Ken
  • Amazing work. No surprise,but still beautiful work.
  • Ah, Joel! nice hearing from you. really enjoy you wading in from time to time. Thanks for your take on things. Having a ball with this build that's for sure. Take care...Ken
  • WesWes
    edited September 2016
    Hi Ken

All coming together wonderfuly. Im taking notes for my O scale version.