visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Really looking good Ken. I know you are enjoying this phase of your build!!

Bill
  • So I take a few weeks off for the summer (okay--all of the summer), only to come back to find you're nearly finished.

Quite frankly, I'm still studying the pictures and trying to take it all in! Truly outstanding work! There's a look and feel to your models which is distinct and uniquely "Ken Karns".

I want to point out something back on page 12, perhaps some of you caught it. The work on the platform for the oil tank. Take a look:
    6Z2MULWIFSV2

OTS7WQVRT3QW

Even though this little item is tiny in the overall scheme of the diorama, there's a lot more to it. I think this extraordinary for 2 reasons.

1) Design. Brett used different materials--wood and steel--and instantly created interest. It draws the viewer in and makes them take a second look. Sure, it looks cool and intricate but as a viewer, it makes me wonder "why?" All the other elevated features are wood (the deck around the tower, the loading dock). Why not use wood on this too? Was wood not strong enough? How much would that tank weigh? Is the metal old angle iron? Is it scraps of old rail? Why metal? "Was Mr. O'Neil a welder?"
    See what's happening? There's a STORY there and if you can make the viewer question "why", they will look for the answer.

2) Execution. Ken pulled this off flawlessly (right down to the weld lines!). If he didn't model it convincingly, the illusion would get spoiled and the viewer is brought back to reality. In other words, he's taken the rivet counters beyond asking "why'd he use styrene?" to "why would they (people who worked in that time/industry/location) use metal?" Does that make sense?

Love your work, dude!

• edited October 2016
    Thanks Alan, and glad you mentioned the ruts in the road. Earlier in this thread someone asked, I think Phil, why I put the 3/4 inch foam over the wood base. In addition to the reasons I mentioned then, the ruts are an easy feature to create. I just use the handle of a paint brush, after the base layer of dirt is complete, and push down in the tire tracks here and there which lightly "crushes" the foam and makes the realistic ruts.

AlanH...nice to hear from you and glad things are easing up for you a bit. Look forward to seeing some progress! The castings are worked up just as Brett outlines with a few personal additions. I prime most of my resin castings that are metal, such as the oil drums, with a brown base or primer coat. It's just a personal choice and just works for my taste in weathering and distressing the casting. But once that's done the weathering is the tried and true methods I learned from Brett's wonderful techniques and instructions.

Hey Bill, what's up my friend! So nice to hear from you. I think I can speak for myself and the forum group as a whole...we have sorely missed your wisdom, humor, camaraderie, and above all your stellar modeling and tutorials.

With that said, I certainly appreciate your intuitive thoughts regarding my modeling and on the oil tank platform. Brett's design here is just wonderful. The use of the large weathered beams married with the steel I-beam construction of the supports...well...it's caviar for the modeler! I couldn't help but savor the working up of this piece. Tickled you noticed the work and so eloquently described the unique design here...I got to tell you, this kind of creative and innovative design features are everywhere in this O'Neills release. I feel so privileged to be building this kit and featuring it here...

Thanks again Bill and keep in touch...Ken

• edited October 2016
    Oh hey Bill (Geezer), missed you up there. Thanks much and right you are...having a ball with this one!...Ken
  • The whole scene is coming together great Ken. The dirt roads and all the details blend together perfectly.

-Steve
  • Small filler project here and I'll post under my casting thread with all the details of the construction of this guy. So, I decided to detail one of the pole lights supplied with O'Neills. One is positioned by the Oil Tank, which is where this one will go, and one at the scrapping scene by the covered dock. I modified the shade and added a light bulb. Pole is weathered gray but hard to tell that from the images. More updates later this weekend...Ken

PA080020

PA080021
  • Hey Ken (AKA Dr Grunge),

The build is absolutely spectacular. Each build you have done continues to improve and I think that is amazing. I think that is not only a testiment to you but also Brett's Kits. His kits a unique and bring out the best in a modeler.

I want to make some comments: the light has really made the viewer focus on those beautiful details inside and make the viewer want to walk in and look around, the oil stain on the concrete with tipple is extremely well done and very believable, the clutter is fantastic. The castings and the amount really make things look believable as you tell a story.

I want to tell you thanks for the great idea of putting a rod on the chimneys. I did that on the chimneys on the main street hotel. They dried perfectly straight and stayed in place.
    If you have any round signs I found a way to cut them out perfectly each time. I used the sharp edge of a grommet ( prior to being mated with the other half and only 2 dollars for a pack at pack at hobby lobby ) and placed it over the sign and tapped it on a solid piece of wood with a hammer and voila cut out perfectly round. I tried using scissors and was never happy with the results. I don't know if you will have any round signs to cut out but if so give it a try.

Keep up the great and inspiring work.

Jim
  • Jim, I agree with you on Ken's wonderful build. Such craftsmanship!

Thanks for posting the method you use for cutting out round signs. That's a great idea.

Bill
  • Hi Jim, I agree this kit is amazing both in design and materials. Such a pleasure to build. Thanks for the kind words there Jim and nice hearing from you as always.

Glad you found the tip on the roof castings useful. Sure made my installs much less worrisome. Great idea on the grommets. I would assume you need to get a selection of sizes to get the right one for each sign diameter.

Keep in touch.

Appreciate that Bill...

Ken
  • Finished up planting the oil tank and surrounding details. I will now be moving on to the covered drive through assembly and fence install.

PA090027

PA090028

PA090014

PA090019

PA090020

PA090014A

PA090029
  • Nice. Lets get a close up of the face of the scale.
  • Well I'm impressed...
  • Fantastic Ken. I love the red rag on the railing.
  • This is just fantastic work. Thanks for all the effort to keep us updated. Just got back from England and then the Regional NMRA convention so I had several pages to catch up on. Now I have to wait like everyone else for your updates.
  • Your outdoor progress shots are the best. They make your grungy work shine. I can get a better feel for your finishes and colors with these pictures.
  • Awesome pics. I espeically like the one that's looking up at the tower.
  • Excellent work. I especially like the roadways and the paths. They really add a lot. Thanks for sharing your technique.
  • Outstanding!!!
  • Hi Ken

Love your latest update my friend. Although all the photos are wonderful, the first and last are my favourites.
  • Wonderful, wonderful work Ken! I really like the ends of the timbers supporting the oil tank. Lots of weather checking and splits. Love them.

Bill
  • No way Bryan! that work is definitely not for close up. I used a Pigma Pen (.20mm) and need a much finer point in the future if I can find one. It should be a bit dirtier as well so it doesn't show as much!

Thanks Brett, if you notice and give a thumbs up, then I'm happy and mission accomplished!

Thanks Steve, that kind of detail is fun and does add a good bit to the overall feel of things. I wasn't all together thrilled with how that particular rag looked...color was OK to me but the "fold" ehh...

Jerry, sounds like you've been busy!...thanks for your thoughts and nice hearing from you.

Yea Mitch, I don't like trying to get pictures indoors, they just never look really good and like you mentioned the color tones are often a bit off. It does get the grunge right out in the open doesn't it!

Thanks Alan, I was happy with the photo session overall. Again, helps document the build and see where I might want to make some improvements, several already!

Appreciate that Frank. Roads and paths are something I work hard at trying to get plausible and realistic, and I have much to learn and experiment with. I love the look of properly modeled traffic patterns, and as you mentioned, they do add a nice dimension to a diorama and give the feel of activity. The O'Neills complex is a perfect build to establish some very interesting and detailed patterns.

Thanks Phil...need to see a pic of your train room...?

Right Wes, probably over did the picture taking a bit. In addition to what I mentioned previously regarding why so many pictures, I also wanted to get a good number of images before I put up the drive through roof and fence. These will obstruct any straight on pictures.

Thanks Bill, and appreciate you noticing those timbers! I obsess over the little details and I felt those timber ends turned out just the way I was envisioning. Great to know others appreciate that stuff...

Ken
  • Not bad, looks like your scale needs to be calibrated though.

I kid, very impressive scene.
  • No doubt...that thing needs the face dirtied up a lot more, you guys are seeing way too much! Thanks much Dustin...did you hear the same thing Alan did about the future of the EXPO?
  • Jimmy told me that the EXPO will most likely be next fall.
  • Ken, some amazing modeling going on here! I'm trying to find one area or detail where my version measures up to this and haven't found one yet. I really like this last sequence of photos- I am a fan of the better light. My personal favorite is the face on the dial on the scale- how did you pull that one off? I am disappointed you didn't figure out a way to not hide the oil delivery system piping under the tank. Such a killer detail to cover up.
  • Will do Ed! thanks for the "tip"...get it? Appreciate your thoughts.

Carl, well gee wiz...changing things once again! Not sure what to think about that.

Thanks much Mike and means so much coming from you! Right you are...some of my pictures are as grungy as my modeling. The dial face was done with a very fine Pigma Pen 0.20 mm. (see above). I'm trying to find something even smaller and Ed put me on the scent of something through Blick, which I will be checking out.

I put the oil delivery pipe under the tower deck in keeping with the kit plan being the official forum build. I tend to get carried away with details, so Brett has to reel me in on occasion so I don't go too far! With that said, I experimented and the delivery pipe can be positioned in front of the deck and go under the stairs. This allows a bit more, about half, of the piping to be exposed (the "good" end with all the valving!). Would be cool if someone gave that a try on their build. Thanks again Mike and keep in touch...Ken
  • Blick has pens that go down to at least .03 mm (stopped looking at this point):
    http://www.dickblick.com/items/21016-2003/
  • edited October 2016
    Ed, thanks so much and can't imaging it being an honor...more like a "put up with"! I think we should try and get a SWSM group get together in Denver. I'm working on it as we speak.

Mike, yup...between you and Ed (thanks to both of you for directing me to Blick for these), I just placed an order through Blick for a couple different pens, both 0.03mm, one in black and one in grey. Still looking for a white one...Ken
  • Oh Hey SteveC., forgot to mention from your post on October 9th you mentioned "I love the red rag on the railing" of the Oil Tank. I can take credit for the finish but not the idea...got it from Brett who put that on his pilot model...but hey, I moved it from the top rail to the lower one...

Good place to mention how valuable it is that Brett posts such great pictures of his pilot models both in the manual and on line. Brett spends an enormous amount of time researching the kits he produces (pers. comm.) The pilot model is a cumulation of all that research in one visual display. We as modelers can then use that as a basis for our builds, either following exactly or imparting our own style and character to the diorama.

Ken
  • Ken, regarding your comments about Brett's time, research, and manuals which make up the kits is right on! All of these kits are stunning accomplishments of his. They are just fantastic. None better anywhere.

Bill