visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Damaged post...P8070014
  • Looks really good Ken.
  • Ken Ive Pretty much run out of positive things to say. So ill try find a negative.............

Nope cant come up with anything. Keep up the good work.
  • I like it. You are right, the bracing makes it look like it was designed on the spot to meet worker's needs.
  • Thanks Alan.

Appreciate the thoughts Wes. Small update but wanted to illustrate the design here.

Glad to hear that Bryan. Definitely has that backwoods design feel to it.

• The Oil Tank platform and tank truss assembly has been completed and detailed. OK Brett...the laser cut truss components and how they were designed and fit together are genius and so easy to do and the look is simply fantastic! They look just like steel
    I-beam construction with the slightly undersized center truss piece "sandwiched" between the outer two components...gosh it was such a blast detailing these guys!

I started by weathering the 5 wood support beams which included imparting wood grain along the timber length and knocking down the sharp corners. I then turned my attention to the all important end detail. Similar to the technique outlined in the manual, I used my #11 blade and "picked" at the end creating the weathered dimpling all over the timber end simulating end grain and weathering. I then added the splits in the ends by pushing the blade deeper into the end of the timbers. Next up was coloring the wood a bit darker than the Tower Deck (featured next) to give the look of years of soaked in oil and dirt. This was accomplished by first staining the wood with the original recipe in the manual (408.3, 408.5, 234.3). This was followed by a good application of AI to further darken the wood. I then set these aside and assembled the painted truss assemblies. Once dry, I weathered with various rust colored chalks and glued the trusses to the timbers. Added the side cross bracing and this guy is ready to proudly display that Oil Tank I have been patiently waiting to get my dirty hands on! It is now primed and curing...

P8120019

P8120016

P8120014

P8120026

P8120027
  • You have the best color shading...looks awesome. What did you do to that center tie? The end looks all rotten out.
  • Thanks Alan, those darn insects are after my wood again!
  • Tower deck, railing and stairs are finished and note the somewhat lighter color as compared to the Oil Tank platform timbers. The stairs are just staged in place with stair railing and railing post cut but they won't get installed until the diorama is being constructed.

P8120014

P8120017
  • Drive through canopy corrugated roof detailing is complete.

P8120017A

P8120018

P8120015A

P8120016A
  • Looks terrific Ken. The porches and roofing really pulls everything together. Your board detailing is great, all the board ends look perfect.

-Steve
  • Thanks Steve, appreciate your thoughts.

The all important Oil Tanks has received the first go at detailing. I will add darker coloration on the timbers where the tank is sitting and along the bottom edge of the tank after it is permanently glued down. Mulling over this initial finish....Ken

P8130017
  • Tank staged in place for a look see...more detailing as I mentioned around the tank bottom.

P8130015
  • I really like the subtle tones and shades you achieved in the various components... Everything looks like it belongs together. That's not as easy as it sounds!
  • Both the tank and the roof look awesome. A quick step by step on how you painted/weather both of those items would be appreciated...

Thanks!
  • Everything looks really good. The first detailing-as you describe-of the tank will provide a great start for the accumulation of oil and grime. You have some subtle white streaks below the letters suggesting fading and running paint. You could add another layer or 2 of this without it becoming overwhelming. A couple of muted rust streaks from individual rivets at the top of the tank might be interesting as well.

Love the support, but you seem to have left out welding seems on the i-beams to go with the insect damage on the cross beams.
  • Appreciate that Brett and as I followed along in the manual it was amazing to see how such varied materials and textures work so well together without standing out. I literally have 5 different roof treatments and all blend so well together but at the same time create such an engaging scene overall...

Alan, the corrugated was done just like that outlined for the drive under canopy on the Main Building with a primer of brown rather than grey as I was going for a deep rusted weathered appearance, followed by the generous application of the various chalks. I started with a rust, followed by a darker (408.3,409.3) application then finished with a random splotchy application of a light dirt color...

The Oil Tank was done per the manual with the only difference was I reversed the coloring by using a base color of brown rather than black and darkened that with dark chalks which gives a similar overall effect. I don't like the flat black paint I get these days as it's too black for my taste compared to the old Floquil Grimy Black, which appeared to me to have a bit of a grey tone vs stark black. My O'Neills lettering was done with a sand colored spray paint (more tan colored than white or grey) as I love the look of that color once weathered and dirtied up with chalks. Has that old "back in the day" look if that makes any sense? and blends well with the color of the finished tank. As per the manual, I ran some alcohol down the sides after the first application of the darker chalks to set the stage for subtile streaking down the tank. Then more chalks to quiet the streaks down, I then applied a heavy targeted application of black along the top and top edge to simulate the accumulation of oil grunge. This will be carried at the tank base once the tank is glued in place. The Oil Tank has many wonderful details to add yet; sump fill pipe, ladder, tank valve casting, platform railing and walkway planks.

Thanks Bryan, the streaks you mention are a result of the alcohol application Brett outlines and sounds like it worked as intended! Subtile but noticeable. Hard to know when to stop once you get going with all the cool details, so this kind of feed-back is so important, thanks. Tell you what...I'm going to experiment with welding seams on the backside platform supports that don't show...Ken
  • Nifty little sorting tray I picked up at Hobby Lobby for a couple bucks. I really like this one as it's small (7" x 3.5") and very shallow so you can easily pick up small parts with your fingers. Featured are the various oil tank valving and piping along with the tank platform railing and access planks...all ready for detailing...Ken

P8140015
  • OK Bryan...this one's for you! Weld bead on the Oil Tank truss support...

P8140014
  • Ken,

Well done. This level of detail is exceptional. Looks real to me.

Mitch
  • Thanks for the explanation on the last 2 items...what did you use for the weld bead...glue? Also, how did you get that nice rough texture on the metal frame? Sorry for all the questions...
  • That weld is freakin awesome! As is the texture on the metal beam.

FYI: Rustoleum has a dark gray auto primer that is closer to the grimy black color.
  • Dang!!! Ken, your work is phenomenal!! I appreciate all the detail as this and Brett's manual will give me what I need when I build this great kit. I'm still sitting on the sidelines. However, I have made great progress in getting my "train stuff" put away in my new train room. Boy do I have a lot of kits to build. Phil
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks Mitch. Maybe a bit too much detail!...and you wonder why I'm a bit slow...

Alan, your most welcome and thanks much for the thanks! The weld was made with multiple applications of tiny amounts of thinned down white Elmers on the tip of a pin. One solid bead didn't look right at all. So I put a little bit on let it almost dry then another little bit below that and so on creating the ripple effect of a weld bead. The glue needs to be watered down a bit or it dries too quickly in such a tiny blob. The texture on the truss is multiple layers of the various chalks and high mag. close up 4X zoom lens.

Appreciate that Bryan and that weld was done just for you! I'm not doing any others...ie, won't and can't be seen, and too time consuming for this application but a blast to mess with that's for sure. You mentioned it as a joke I think and I thought...I'm going to give it a go and see what I can come up with. Good to know for future builds where it might show more. Thanks for the tip on the primer, I'll give that a go as well...

Hey Phil, nice hearing from you as always. Appreciate that and you can tell I'm having fun with this one. Glad to hear you're getting things sorted out. "lot of kits to build" hey join the club my good man! I'm actually thinking on what my next project might be when O'Neills is completed which I'm around page 75 of 110...gettin there...Ken
  • Little more work on the oil tank base and platform weathering detail. Still not quite there yet...Ken

P8150021
  • Looks good!
  • Thanks Alan, finishing up the front railing and ladder that's attached to the side of the tank. By far my favorite component of O'Neills!...Ken
  • Bloody hell. Now you adding weld beads. Thats just ridiculous Ken.

Stop setting the bar so high bud.
  • Nah, that was just to get a rise out of Bryan....those truss supports of Brett's are killer without my microscopic weld bead!...Ken