visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Hi Steve, I will address how I did the lighting in a thread I will start called "Lighting Up O'Neills".

I have completed the Welding Shop interior and exterior and have "planted" it on the diorama along with the sump pad. Things are drying and when that's done I'll be moving on to the other sundries...Ken

P9250021

P9250018

P9250019

P9250015A

P9250022

P9250017

P9250015
  • Ken
    Very nice with everything coming together with perfection I have the kit but time around here is kind of rare, As soon as the snow flies should have more time.

Again spot on.
    Carl
  • Appreciate that Carl and I here ya! Busy time of year for most folks and I find myself having to carve out time to get some modeling done. This is such a great part of the build when you start adding all the support structures, details, and scenic work...keep in touch...Ken
  • Looks good all together. I really like the shingle work.
  • Thanks Bryan, I was happy with how they turned out. These shingles take weathering great and are quite versatile in finishing. Anxious to get that Oil Tank nestled into its new home...Ken
  • Very Nice Kenny. All the colors blend together nicely.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Thanks and your welcome.
  • Damn. When I mentioned an update. I never meant complete the full interior to a lifelike finish.

Just plain wonderful stuff Ken. You continue to push the boundaries for what is obtainable in HO scale. Got my update fix for the day. Thanks
  • Everything looks great together Ken. Makes me want to get mine planted.
  • It was just for you Wes! Thanks much for the kind comments and your continued encouragement. I really like doing the interiors despite some of it not showing . The lighting will provide a nice glimpse of the interior stuff. I will be posting that later this evening if all goes well.

Appreciate that Steve. I felt it somewhat of a milestone to get the Welding Shop detailed, finished and planted. Such a key structure and element to the diorama, with a good bit of the character of O'Neills coming from it and the surrounding details.

• Putting down some very preliminary traffic pattern around O'Neills. The road(s) will be much more detailed when the plan is finalized. Very enjoyable phase of the build.

P9270015A

P9270014

P9270015
  • Love the roads Ken. Simple but add so much to the build.
  • Nice. Are you going to make a crossing grade, or are the tracks the end of the line for the road?
  • Ken, It's really coming together. What a great build. Phil
  • Thanks Dustin, can really get a feel for the hub of activity with those roads taking shape. Much more detailing on them to go of course but getting the "feel" of things.

Absolutely Bryan. That area will be one of the more detailed sections of the road. I plan a crossing grade and haven't decided on just dirt or wood...leaning towards wood. have to be able to get over to the Brass & Iron Foundry...right Brett?

Phil, it does feel like it's gelling a bit! Appreciate your thoughts and hope all is going well at the homestead!

Ken
  • Feel like it's been awhile since I have posted any progress on O'Neills. I have spent the weekend working on the detailing of the east side of O'Neills. I have a good bit yet to go but wanted to get a preliminary photo update. Will post more images once I have completed the work here...

PA020017
  • Such A joy to look at your incredible craftsmanship Ken. The interior, now the placement and ongoing scenery. Very, very good. Thanks for sharing!

Bill
  • All the colors blend together perfectly to create an awesome looking scene. Nice work Kenny...
  • Wow - looking incredible there!
  • Looks great. I'm calling OSHA about that sump.
  • The EPA also.
  • edited October 2016
    Hi Bill, very nice thing to say and I certainly appreciate the support here. Great phase of the build.

Thanks Alan, and the color blending is something I really strive for so thanks for noticing!

Appreciate that Brett...having a ball at this stage!

Thanks Bryan. No worries as the EPA Inspector and I go fishing and frog giggin together so he'll turn a blind eye once I'm done with him.
  • OK...work continues on this side of O'Neills. I wanted to get a reasonably good selection of pictures to document this part as the Oil Tank will hinder the ideal vantage point for photographing some of the details. Good number of shots so fast forward if I'm boring you...

PA030033

Welding Shop with sump pad details complete.

PA030038

PA030034

Note the ghosting ring of oil/crud where a couple of barrels were previously.

PA030037

Path leading to the back door of the Welding Shop and on out to the loading dock.

PA030028

Detailing behind the Welding Shop and Oil Tank. Much of this will be partially hidden once the tank is planted.

PA030044

PA030040

PA030024

PA030023

Landing from stairway leading from the Tower to the Main Building behind the Welding Shop.

PA020017

Final view before I plant the Oil Tank.....
  • Ok, ok...I see it...the screw jack on the sump pad...I failed to buff the threads and cap a bit...geesh!...slacker...will have to fix that, sorry.
  • Ken, you do a great job building and an even better job finishing the model. Your placement of the "stuff" is outstanding and you really pay attention to the details. I smell another "best of show."
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks Phil...but you must be smelling the petroleum fumes and it's clouding your judgement...
  • Loving all the grimy gritty details... just right
  • Thanks Brett, can't help myself...I'm really not as grimy and gritty as my work is...really I'm not!

Just planted the Oil Tank and installed the sump fill piping. Working on the pole light and surrounding details. fiddling with a nifty treatment for the light shade...Ken
  • edited October 2016
    Your build is looking awesome...as usual. Besides liking the colors you used in your scenes, I really like the rutted road you created.
  • Looking awesome Ken. Several events have conspired to keep me out of the workshop for a couple of months. I won't go into detail, just pesky life events that sneak up on you from time to time. Now that we're into fall I expect to be able to get back to work. It'll be nice to have such a set of photos to gauge myself against. Did you do anything special with your castings, or is it all Brett's techniques across the board?