visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Ed...hey my good man, I meant put up with me...not you!
  • edited October 2016
    Hey Ed, Ken wants to share a room with you in Denver. All he asks in return is that you bring your records with you...
  • edited October 2016
    I have been busy finishing up the...what..east side of O'Neills I guess. Drive through canopy is in place along with the flashing made from a piece of the carrier sheet for the shingles. Not glued in yet so I may remove and make just a bit thinner and more worn along the edges...maybe...Decided on a wood track over for the road made from spare strip wood.

Fence is installed and I have started the scenic work to get a "feel" for how I want that to look. I have a fair amount of minor details to complete here but will begin working my way around the structure with detailing. Much fun at this stage but it does take some time.

PA170021

PA170024

PA170018

PA170019

PA170030
  • Very cool Ken. Love the ground cover especially the weeds in the center of the road.
  • Thanks much Steve. Lots of traffic pattern here so I must be careful to properly detail the roads!

Realized I didn't get any shots of the road crossing the tracks...too late for additional pictures...it's dark out right now...so I'll use a couple that sort of show it...Ken

PA170023

PA170034
  • Wonderful, wonderful work Ken! Such a joy to see it.

Bill
  • edited October 2016
    Wow Kenny! It looks like youre almost done...now all that's left is for you to finish up the scrap area.
  • Love the scenery, so well detailed. Color and texture is fantastic!
  • Another set of winner pics ken. This is really something to be proud of.
  • Wonderful Ken!!

Bill
  • Thanks Bill. Look forward to your comments and enjoy your participation here on the forum.

Alan, "almost done" I can only dream about being there! Really, a good bit more to do. I have the Welding Shop (other side and front), area in front of the drive up loading dock and roof, front loading dock, side stairway and of course the scrapping scene. In addition, all the details along the roads, etc...geesh...seems like a good bit yet.

Appreciate that Brett. I have a good feel now for how the rest of the diorama is going to get detailed.

Thanks Wes and I like the first two pictures that I think capture the "feel" of the diorama quite well. Proud started when I was given the opportunity to work up the official forum build of this, already legendary, SWSM kit...quite the honor.

Ed, I'll keep you updated on the pen situation as soon as they arrive. Thanks for your thoughts and participation here. Having a blast reading your posts, great stuff.

• Slacking again Ken? No update in 5 days.

Come on man get moving and post more eye candy.
  • Yea...geesh Wes, I was hoping no-one would notice! I did plop in an update on the O'Neills casting thread, does that count? Didn't think so.

I have been working hard working my way around the Welding Shop, detailing as I go. This weekend I will have a major update with the Welding Shop completely done and, if all goes as planned, the area around the addition and covered dock as well...

Thanks for checking in and "rattling my cage"...Ken
  • As you will see on this update, I have been working! Have finished the detailing around the Welding Shop and the covered Loading Dock area. I wanted to get some pictures before the roof and supports go in.

PA290022

PA290015

PA290029

PA290014A

PA290032

PA290015A

PA290019
  • Very, very nice Ken! I really like the drums in the barrel rack with the additional tools, rag and can on the top. Spilled oil, old radiator, tire, and junk. Just very nice. It all looks so real. Thanks for the update!!

Bill
  • Wow dude...awesome shots!
  • The last picture with all the weathered details is a great example of what we all strive to build. Your brown base coat seems to be the key for the realistic look you achieve. Very nice.
  • Appreciate that Bill. You have a detailed eye as those are the subtile details that add to a scene such as this.

Thanks Alan, really enjoyed the detailing around the shop, such a great structure.

Hey Mitch, very nice thing to say and I thank you. I'm sure I model a bit more on the "grungy" side than some like but I really enjoy emulating that type of scene...

Got it Ed...thanks my man.

Ken
  • Integration of details and scenery is fantastic. The way you blend them together takes a long time and is so worth the effort. Everything looks like it belongs in the scene... Study worthy pics!
  • I am still catching up with your progress and I will need to consider the roads following your methods the final appearance looks the best I have ever seem. Do you have any vehicles in mind to populate this diorama? Michael
  • Appreciate the critique and kind comments Brett. Such a great assemblage of high quality castings and laser components to work with. Your concepts and pilot model diorama afford such a great basis for constructing a scene that is personalized. That spoked tire casting is such a wonderful piece I hated to put it behind the two radiator castings but that's what my concept called for. It looks awesome peeking out from behind (see photo)

Well thanks Michael, and I did ponder over the traffic pattern and road construction for some time. I knew that if I was going to have this amount of road, the construction would required some planning and reasonably good execution to be plausible. I am going to have a vehicle (Kleiber Delivery Truck) in the final diorama as it really aids in dating the scene appropriately and bringing a little life to it as well, as Brett has pointed out. Thanks again.

PA290035

PA290018
  • Hey ken

More ridiculously wonderful pics dude. The scenes just drway you in and that makes you discover even more. How cool is that rag in the first pic of the 2 above. WOW
  • Nice. I like finding all of the hidden gems in your close-ups like the chunks missing from the rubber on the tire.
  • Ken, I'm blown away. This is so realistic and your attention to detail is just as good or better than the other "master" craftsmen that I admire. Wow!!!! Phil
  • You are going to make me feel really bad when I get around to building my O'Neills. No way will I be able to be this good. Not that I won't try, especially since I have a great instructor to guide me.
  • I echo Ed's comments word for word!!

Bill
  • Thanks Wes. Brett's generous inclusion of quality castings allow for very detailed scenes with just what your talking about...layered details. Brett stresses this and it's so important in this type of work. Great you noticed the rag. I love that kind of simple yet effective detailing...Ken
  • Hey Bryan, thanks and like I mentioned to Wes how important layered details are in a plausible scene construction. Just like I hated to hide that cool wheel behind the radiator shells but it actually looks better with your imagination pulling it out and looking at it...if that makes sense? Also, the tire is a white metal casting that Brett includes in the kit complete with the chunky tread design! All I did was remove every other spoke (just my taste) and detail.

Thanks Phil. Very nice comment indeed.

Ed, I look back at those earliest builds and think something about Brett's kits, web-site, and forum just propels the modeler ahead to a level exceeding their expectations. Go look at the modeling elsewhere, and what's going on here is amazing by comparison. Thanks much for the kind words there Ed and again, really enjoy your input...

Jerry, ahh...nonsense...I only hope to get you motivated to get to the bench and get excited like I do about what I'm working on. All the other posts here do that for me and I learn from every build I follow. Not to mention feeling like I get to know you guys despite not meeting everyone in person. Thanks for the thumbs up and look forward to following your work on O'Neills...

Thanks Bill, Ed does have a way with words...and I also agree with the amazing group here...

• edited November 2016
    This is flat out outstanding work, Ken. The texture and color of the structures & details blend so well with your scenery work. The "organized chaos" of the working areas is particularly well done. The best example is this shot:

IMG_2178

And the finish on that elevated tank to the right?? Damn!!
    Just awesome!!
  • Most certainly a very generous and motivating comment here Bill and coming from one of the top modelers around means so much. Thanks buddy. I got a thing for tanks!...I'm hopeless...or is it hapless?...Ken