visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shipyard at Foss Landing (Another One!)

Comments

• edited April 14
    I've finished layering color/texture on the scenery base. Some detail work yet to do, such as where the gravel road crosses the tracks, some highlighting of the ruts in the gravel road, and addition of a bit of green alone the fence line to the edge. As you can see, I've gone with a darker palette so as not to have too much contrast with the pit. The saw shed i glued in place; the steam box, boiler, and upper shed are placed only.
    Will be working on the saw shed area next.

I tested my power lines running from the edge behind the main building to the saw shed (which I thought deserved an explicit line due to the electric saw motor which must be a bit of a monster), with branch lines running to the mail building as well. Looks good, but all power posts removed until nearly done, as I have a propensity to knock over things that stick up.

scenery base done

I got some 1/4 inch plywood for construction of the surround.
  • edited April 14
    Branch power line to MAIN building (not “mail”)
  • edited April 15
    baevans said:

... I have a propensity to knock over things that stick up.

Ha ha, don't most of us, a wise move indeed.

It's coming along great and the overall picture is coming together so well.
    Keep it up, we are all watching, and enjoying...

• Coming along now. The main building and dock to detail, add staircase, steps, office rail, and all the detail bits. It is so cool the have all the buildings finally glued in place.
    Awaiting delivery of my people to finish the look, along with placing the power lines, model TT truck, and flatcar delivering wood.

Coming Along

This has really been fun!

Beginning to think about the constructing the enclosure and the addition of the water.
  • Very nice work keep it up ..........
  • I should have asked some questions earlier but if you have the time, would you mind sharing your experience now? (I’ll be working on the ship and scenery soon)
    First, should the ship be level in the pit or would a real pit slope downward toward the water?

Second, did you use any sort of “jig” to make sure the ribs were not cock-eyed but level? Eyeballing 21 ribs just gave me 21 different angles!

Third, as I read the instructions for “the scenery base” and “complete the ship”, I’m leaning toward reversing those 2 steps somewhat. In other words, before any sculptamold goes down, do as much of the “complete the ship” as possible by adding keel bracing before the ship is placed in the plaster (and the ship is accessible), making the 7 scaffolding segments in advance, and cutting scaffolding brace supports to length in advance. In other words, once the sculptamold is in place, there is no more “construction” to be done (which takes time), only “assembly” (which is quicker). Your thoughts? These are the most critical parts of this project and I trying to “measure twice, cut once”. I appreciate your time.
  • I put the cross pieces on each rib first. I put the first and last in place first with wood glue which takes several minutes to set. As it starts to take hold the adjusted level be eye with two long pieces of scrap wood resting on top to assist this. Then proceeded with tow at a time one in back and one in front until done using the scrap wood pieces to adjust.
    With regard to your other questions while I am a very competent miniature carpenter I am a complete terrain / sculptamod neophyte and really screwed up that process in the pit. I suggest careful review of the build logs, the manual, and then give Brett a call to discuss your questions.
    Good luck.
  • Thanks for your insights!
  • I've basically finished the detailing, so the diorama itself is essentially done, pending enclosure and water.
    I do still have to hunt down and dull a number of shiny glue spots, and drop my leftover tools in appropriate places. And my people have not yet arrived.
    Here are the views as of now:
    detailing done 1

detailing done 2

detailing done 3

detailing done 4
  • OUTSTANDING job. You created an excellent diorama and should be very proud!
  • edited April 20
    Thank you, sir. Means a lot to me coming from you!
    I love the whole design and quality of this kit. At some point I’ll build the Foss Landing kit I have, but that’s a project for next winter.
    But meanwhile I have to get the enclosure and water done before we leave for the summer.
  • One of the Best out here wonderful job. .......
  • Even with no water, it already looks fantastic. A great diorama !!! Bravo !!
  • Great build.
  • There sure is a lot going on in that dio, and you did a fantastic job with it. Congratulations, you should be very proud.
  • Very nice! This turned out really GREAT!
  • My people came! Here there are, primed and ready for detail painting. The detail on these 3d printed figures is outstanding, but the cost is not pennies.
    people primed
  • I've been painting some 3D printed LP. They turn out pretty good. You'll really be happy with your end product. Those are nice.
  • Just catching up. Excellent work all around. Good luck with the LPs. ModelU makes a great product. I dunk them in a bit of a brown acrylic wash after painting--helps to cover any little paint issues and blends them in a bit better to the overall scene. Excited to see the final, final photos of your exceptional build.
  • 7 months after beginning this build, I have finished fiddling with things and declare this build done.
    My mini-carpentry skills from ship model building for years and accumulated tools,augmented by Brett's chalk and alcohol techniques, stood me in good stead for construction of the buildings.
    Constructing terrain and resin water, on the other hand, were terra incognita (pun intended) for me. While working it out, mistakes were made left and right and subsequently mitigated with considerable effort. I am pleased with the final result. Next winter when I make the Foss Landing model what I have learned should make it much easier. Thanks to Brett and all the forum posters whose experience provided suggestions to ease the path.

Two posts with pictures of the final product follow. My customizations include the Ford TT truck, the power lines to the main building and the saw shed (yes, the leaning power post was intentional), and the flatcar with a cargo of wood planking being unloaded.

8 little people populate the shipyard, including the yardmaster next to the ship plans and the office manager on the porch of his domain.
  • 4 side views:

Final 1
    Final 2
    Final 3
    Final 4
  • 4 corner views:

Final 5
    Final 6
    Final 7
    Final 8
  • A protective case will arrive in a couple days to guard against errant fingers from grandkids and curious adults!
  • A very nice display great job. ....
  • As a final note, a few detail views:

Detail View 1
    Detail View 2
    Detail View 3
    Detail View 4
  • Beautifully executed. Love your personal touches. Definitely a praise worthy accomplishment.........Rick
  • Very well done. You have to be proud of what you did here.
  • Really nicely done. Can't wait to see your next project.
  • Job well done! I like the detail views, they really show your workmanship.
  • Very nicely done....an effort you should be proud of...