visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shipyard at Foss Landing (Another One!)

Comments

• Looking great.
  • edited December 2023
    Back at it. Finished the yardmaster office and added it to the building. Made it a bit darker for contrast with the different clapboard siding. When I finished I had two complete strips of shingles and a bunch of scraps left. Close call.
    Next up: roof stuff.
    After looking at the picture I noticed the left wall of the office was not flush with the warehouse due to a bit of bowing of the warehouse wall. That is now fixed.Office Done 1
    Office Done 2
  • Superbly done, looks great!
  • Very nice indeed!!

Jerry
  • Nice work!
  • edited December 2023
    Final push for the main building today. The discoloration on the yardmaster's office roof is temporary - from spritz of CA accelerator to hold the wires supporting the stack in place. That has faded away as expected.
    I also fixed the rafter that can be seen fallen in the third picture - clumsy finger when moving was to blame.
    Happy with the overall look.
    I think I'll take a few days off before starting the platforms; I've gotten so into this build I'm neglecting some of my other pressing activities (actually, nothing is pressing as a retired person, I just do either what I want or what my dear wife asks of me).
    done 1
    done 2
    done 3
    done 4
  • great job, building looking nice
  • Fantastic work and great progress, everything looks so good.
    A little break is time well spent admiring what you have done so far.
  • An impressive structure
  • I’m working on the main roof of this kit. Any tips or pointers?
  • This is not a easy kit to build you have done a great job with it. .........Carl......
  • What a brilliant design! So many possibilities to detail this and the accompanied structures and features. Look forward to seeing the progress, nice work.
  • The only tip I have involves the gluing of the stacks to the roof. I had planned to simply use the five minute epoxy with black paint, but it was really hard to make them stick in place even holding them for several minutes. So I ended up putting a drop of CA glue on the slanted surface of the stack and a bit of the black stained epoxy around the edges. That way the CA got a firm hold within 20 to 30 seconds. And the problem with these things sliding down, the roof was avoided.
  • Tip drill a small hole in the casting and one in the roof cut the head off a small nail and insert it in the casting with CA then place it on the roof with some epoxy ......Carl.....
  • We all do things a bit differently with good result. I use Carl's method, but I use a piece of guitar string instead of a small nail. I don't use the CA, instead I use the 5-minute epoxy, scrape a bit of black chalk into it, mix it up and let it set up till it gets a little tacky. Then apply and set it in place.
  • edited December 2023
    I just drill a hole in the casting for a toothpick to hold the stack while painting and weathering as usual with the castings.
    Then snip it off leaving 1/2" of the toothpick remaining in the casting, drill a 1/8" hole in the roof and use the tooth pick to secure it in place.
    A drop of black paint mixed in the white glue gives a nice effect of a tar seal around the stack when it oozes out a little during placement, which can be manipulated depending on the look you want.
  • All excellent ideas!
  • Working on docks now - 3 done. Next is office porch, then main dock/foundation.
    Docks
  • Finally finished all of the Docks and the office porch, with the main dock taking most of the time.
    We brought a new puppy into the house, so less time for modelling for a bit. Housebreaking takes priority.
    I can work when she's crated. After some cleanup of my work area, will start on the various sheds.
    Docks Done

and the culprit:

puppy
  • Good looking Pup.
  • edited December 2023
    Nice looking Cobra, 1/18?
    We look forward to you getting back to the shipyard build and will all be here waiting for your next update on the structure.

• The Cobra is a 1/8 model by agora. Amazing detail.
  • With bits of time available, I put together the Derrick Dock Shed. Put a rope (some good scale rope from my ship-building stash) and some scrap wood on it as per the manual. I substituted a small box from the resin detail bag for the suggested chain links.
    Derrick Dock Shed

I'll start to work on the other shed next, but I kept looking at the expanse of track on the main dock. I don't do trains - this build is meant for a diorama rather then scenery for a train layout. But, I thought an open car (gondola) with a load of wood for the saw shed might be a good look. I ordered such a car, and will see if I can weather it appropriately to the look of the project. If so I'll incorporate it, so when it comes I'll divert a bit to try it out.
  • Finished the upper yard shed. All pretty straightforward. Somehow I managed to lose or fail to find both the resin mailbox and the cast rope coil, so I improvised.
    Will begin the saw shed next.

upper shed 1
    upper shed 2
  • And just for grins, here's my flatcar delivering a supply of squared off logs bound for the saw shed:

flatcar with lumber
  • edited January 3
    Was sorting all the metal bits into a compartment box and sure enough found the rope coil. I’ll finish it and add it to the upper shed, different wall, to complement the larger diameter rope I put up before.
  • Making progress on the saw shed. This is quite a fiddly construction as others have commented. I'm pretty happy with it. Still have some chalk to apply here and there, and I think there will be a bit of sawdust thrown from the blower.
    My etchant finally came today, so tomorrow I'll try my hand at etching the roof sheets which I have cut up. This is Minnesota in the winter, so working in the garage with the door open will be cold which I expect will slow the reaction.

Saw Shed Progress
  • Finished the Saw Shed sans the roof - didn't feel like working in the cold garage with the door open to etch the roof pieced today.
    Did the rest of the framing of the shed, chalked some of the metal bits, and added some sawdust in front of the blower. Also made the cupola. So now will have to deal with the roof pieces to finish up. Snowstorm tomorrow but I will do that.

Shed Done Sans Roof
  • Great modeling! And a very cute puppy good luck!

Jerry
  • Great job on the saw shed. Although I still have a lot to do before I get to this part, I have a question regarding the etching with ferric chloride. How much (volume) is required to etch all the panels. A brief search shows I can get amounts as little as 4 oz. I'd like to get enough to do the job but not have a large quantity left over as I am not likely to be using it again.

Jeff