visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shipyard at Foss Landing (Another One!)

Comments

• Excellent progress on this. Great job.
  • edited January 13
    Well, let's just say in the battle between the etching solution and the Minnesota winter in the garage with the door open for ventilation, winter wins. As the solution cooled the reaction slowed and finally essentially stopped.
    I should have paused, brought the solution inside to warm, go back out and etch a few pieces, and repeat. But I didn't, and retrospect is always correct, and I was really cold and my hands began to shake, making it hard to manipulate the pieces in the solution - lost a couple at the onset to complete digestion. I was close to calling Brett for a couple more aluminum sheets and ordering another 4 oz. of ferric chloride in order to try again.
    Instead I treated the insufficiently etched pieces with a combination of roughing, black primer cured overnight, and chalk, and then glued all the strips and the cap pieces on.
    Touch-up next, and some final chalking, as well as the filler around the base of the cupola, which I will do once the glue is firmly set.
    Picture once that is done.
  • The saw shed is now complete.

Saw Shed Completed

It's time to start on the base. I need to review the instructions going forward, research contour creation and landscaping, and lay in the necessary supplies. I've not done anything like this before so it's all unfamiliar ground (pun intended).
  • A milestone reached: All the buildings, docks, etc. are done. I may take a short break before beginning work on the base after reviewing and ordering necessary supplies.

buildings done
  • No matter what your trials and tribulations your roof turned out great. keep experimenting with different techniques. Good work. Randy
  • Necessity is the mother of invention. Your roof turned out very nicely.
  • Thanks all for the views and feedback!
  • Great construction and result on all of the components, well done.
    The metal wood shed roof is weathered just enough, aged and worn but no serious issues, as I think it should be.
  • Nice work!
  • I put the base together. Hot glued a 1" insulation board onto a 1/4" MDF board to form the base. Cut out the elevation board from another 1" insulation sheet and hot glued that to the base.
    Laid out the structures just to get the general idea:

Checking Out the Base

I'll do the rough contour next, then move on.
  • Looks great!!

Jerry
  • Looking good and coming together well.
  • Delayed a while waiting for supplies to come.
    Rough painting of the base, mainly to outline where the water will meet the land. Applied the stone wall and the brick wall, and laid the rail ties.
    Every thing seems lined up, so I'll put this aside to work on the ship, following the instruction sequence.

Can't seem to get pictures to load - will try later

• Here are the pictures of the current status of the base:

base 1
    base 2

and the rocks; a couple of large ones will abut the edge below the attachment of the main dock. I made a few others to place here and there possibly.

Rocks
  • Working on the ship now. Just the scaffold supports to add.

ship

Then put aside for now, and work on final fitting of the main dock. I'm going to need to place my rocks and figure out how many pilings to add.
    I'll have to gather my base coverings in preparation for final placement, and experiment a bit with the plaster which I have never used.
  • I have never done a boat before, so I am very interested in watching this as it progresses.
  • Every time I see this ship it reminds me of a Viking ship. You did a very nice job on it.
  • Very nice and neat work great job. .......
  • Great work on everything shown here Bruce. very nicely done, wonderful boatwork, this is going to be magnificent.
  • I always love seeing that boat come to life, great job so far!
  • Just checking the layout, prior to beginning the plaster work:

checking layout
  • Always loved the design and layout of this kit.
    Youre doing a great job with it.
  • The various pieces of the puzzle are coming together nicely. Can't wait for the scenery and detailing.
  • Finished the pit, except for adding the bits and pieces of trash and scraps.
    I ended up making it harder than it needed to be, mainly due to my inexperience working with the sculptamold - I didn't mix enough, I made it too thick, and it hardened too quickly. The end result is that I did not get a nice smooth slope from the back to the front, but I'll have to live with that.
    Here it is:

Pit
  • Looks good to me. You did a nice job.
  • Very nice well done.
  • Thanks for the comments.
    I've added some lumber trash and piles, so the pit is done:

pit done 2

pit done 1

Next up: the crane
  • That looks great!! A whole lot of very intricate work getting this looking that good.
  • Wonderful job on that boat!!

Jerry
  • Always loved the design and layout of this kit.
    Youre doing a great job with it.
    I’ve always loved the boat, it makes the whole diorama alive, yours looks great and reminds me, I’ve got to build it in O one day.