visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shipyard at Foss Landing (Another One!)

edited October 2023 in HO Scale Builds
Long time ship modeler who has run out of room to display any more ships.
Saw a build log for this kit on the "Non-ship Builds" section of my go-to ship modeling site, I've always been fascinated by detailed dioramas (just for the own sake; not a model railroad guy) and showed it to the boss, who sail "You definitely need to get that." So I did.
Returned from our summer place (also out of room for ship displays) and began to accumulate the materials needed and whatever helpful tools I did not already have in my shipyard. A few weeks ago finally dove in and started.
The detailed and exhaustive build logs for this project on this site (in addition to Brett's wonderful manual) have been guides for me. I won't duplicate them, but will post when significant progress has occurred or when I screw up and/or need help.
At any rate, finished the walls for the main structure and its dormers today, so getting ready to take on the windows and doors next.
Here's a picture of the finished walls. I think I'm ready for the next step. If I have missed anything feel free to set me straight.
Glad to be here.
Bruce Walls Main Building

Comments

• edited October 2023
    Oops. Screwed up right at the start. Posted in the wrong section.
    Brett, can you move this to HO scale builds? Or should I cut and paste?
  • Great start! Looking forward to your progress.
  • Love what I see. Welcome to dioramas. Your background over qualifies you for these wonderful kits.....Rick
  • Thanks for the comments. I've always most enjoyed the mini-carpentry on my ship builds, but nothing at this small scale (1/64 is my smallest scale build).
    But when it finally comes to the landscaping, I'm gonna need some help and advice for sure.
  • Great that you're diving into this great kit with a wonderful nautical feel to it. Should compliment your ship work nicely. Off to a great start!
  • Waiting for more!
  • Great start, walls look wonderful!
  • Sitting down today to try and figure how all the window bits work before weathering them.
  • One great build coming up !!!!! :wink:
  • Off to a wonderful start and hopefully a rewarding modelling experience.
  • Looks like a fine start to me.

Jerry
  • Finished the dormers today. Freight doors and large windows are not installed but simply placed to evaluate visual.
    Ready to start in on finishing the walls tomorrow!Dormers
  • You've been busy. This is going to look great. Nice job.
  • Always great to see a new update. I like the weathering nice job.

Jerry
  • Well I’m always happier when I have a construction project going and have been in withdrawal since finishing my (almost certainly) last ship.
    I put in 2-3 hours a day so a project like this is perfect as I can work on bits in that fashion.
  • Off to a good start
  • Great job so far. I will be following closely as this one is next up for me.

Jeff
  • A small update.
    I have finished the two end walls. I continue to be impressed by the design and production values of this kit allowing for the creation of an incredibly detailed model. I hope my skills are up to it!
    On to the next wall.
    end walls done
  • From what I can see so far your skills are more than up to the job. Randy
  • looking great so far!
  • Excellent, looks great. Can't wait to see it come together. Love that main building.
  • Looking great! I’m a couple of weeks behind you in building my shipyard so it’s neat to see what’s coming.
  • Keep the pictures coming. This is sure fun to see come together. You are doing a wonderful job.
  • Thanks all. Having a fun time with this.
  • Excellent progress and work here Bruce! Love this kit and look forward to following your continued work on this project.
  • Put the walls together after adding what is called for in the instructions. Added the brace cards and the view blocker, capped off with the ridge pole.
    Overall Ok. a couple of the edges are not as crisp and flush as I would like - some creep after gluing. One day perhaps I'll make a perfect model.
    I do like how this looks so far.
    Next, the roof, the last dormer fitting, and shingling.
    4 walls 1
    4walls 2
  • you are powering through this!
  • Roof on, dormers in place with rafters underneath, fascia applied to the roof edges.
    Tomorrow, I get to work preparing and weathering all those shingle strips!
    IMG_1208
    IMG_1209
    IMG_1211
    IMG_1212
  • Coming along nicely
  • A lot of great work here. Excellent job on the peeling paint in particular.