visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shipyard at Foss Landing (Another One!)

Comments

• I've enjoyed following your progress. I often refer to these build logs when working on my Shipyard.

Jeff
  • Finished the derrick crane, except for the crank handle which I broke - replacement requested and thankfully awaited due to Brett's exemplary customer service!
    This was quite the fiddly construction, due to the fragility of some of the metal parts such as the shackles, which have to be drilled/reamed to accept the 1/32 wire. I destroyed a couple. Though my Optivisor magnifier my fingers really look fat and clumsy!

crane

I won't glue this in place for now, given my propensity to knock into protruding things when working on something else.
  • Great job on the crane.
  • Crane really turned out nice. The cables are nice and taught. That's not easy to accomplish
  • Thanks.
    After staining the line I hung it with a weight on the end to dry. That helped the look.
  • edited February 29
    While awaiting additional strip wood to do the fence and some HO scale tires to do the pilings, I constructed the steam box and the boiler.

steam box & boiler
  • Nice work.
  • Another excellent job on details. This is going to be such a great model when you get done. Be proud!
  • That came out great
  • Nicely done!
  • Very nice!!

Jerry
  • edited February 29
    Very nice weathering on all parts. I like the coloring on the wood parts. Randy
  • Very well done, that looks great.
  • Nicely done.
  • I've added the pilings to the ends of the docks, so now (except for the water) the waterfront is essentially complete. I will probable add a few touches with some small rocks and so on.
    Here is the current view:

Waterfront

I still have to complete the beat up fence, and then tackle finishing all the detail bits in the metal and 3d printed piles.
  • I haven't decided how to deal with the bit of exposed base on the left due to the fact that the stone wall doesn't go all the way to the edge.
  • Looking good so far.
    Just put a couple of wood pilings there to hide it. Paint it black first.
  • Good idea!
  • Finished the fence. Now onto all the details, which will keep me busy for a while.
    Meantime, I placed all the structures on the base to check out how it all looks:

Placement
  • Looking good, love the design and layout of this kit. The piles seem to have worked out for you, once scenicked they'll blend perfectly.
  • Turning out very nice!
  • Very nice!!

Jerry
  • One of the Best...........
  • edited March 23
    I've finished painting/blackening/weathering all of the metal castings and the 3d printed details. Next will assemble the collection "scenes" as laid out in the manual.

Meanwhile, however, I figured this was a good time to dig out the Ford TT truck I picked up a while ago. I am truly impressed by the detail that Brett is able to get into these HO scale models - in the cab the wheel, gearshift, pedals, and brake are clearly visible. Here she be:

Truck

This truck has some age on her! I'll be putting something in the bed - lots of stuff to pick from. I'll need to decide where my gravel road will go to place this, which also will depend on the placement of light poles and power lines
  • Excellent job on that truck... well used but not overly abused. As you say it has amazing detail and a beautiful piece.
    Cant wait to see your updates as the scenes come together.
  • Here are all my bits ready for use. I picked up the cigarette machine after seeing it on another build on the forum and running down the place from which it came .
    Time to start putting together some aggregates, the oil drum rack, and the canvas rack.

bits
  • Coming together great! Enjoying the build very much.
  • edited March 28
    Finished up some detail aggregates. I did add the drop of clear epoxy to the headlights of my truck as suggested by Karl in his build of the truck. It's a great touch!

details

Now it's time to begin on the terrain. Never done anything like this so a bit nervous about it.
    I'll start with the tracks on either side after a bit of experimentation on some leftover insulation board and see how that goes.
  • Applied a base terrain layer using grout powder. I brushed on a fair amount of cement and as I hoped - but may not show up well in the picture - the ground is somewhat uneven and does not resemble a brown rug. Afterwards I cemented down the track rails.
    Now the fun stuff starts!
    I did order a few figures from the suggested source to liven up the scene.

terrain base

• Those details are looking great, glad to hear the epoxy headlights worked out for you.

The base is coming along well, the subtle tonal variations will give you a good base starting point, track looks good.
    I also love the variation in your wooden construction, meaning the newer looking shade on the new boat wood and the more aged colour of the dock wood.