visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

not the sharpest Tool in the Shed

Comments

• excellent!!
  • Looking quiet nice !! Perhaps some spilled ashes in front of the stove..
  • Bryan, What did you use for the shingles, and what did you use to stain them to get the great color variation.
    Also thanks for the tip about ETA Diorama. I ordered four sets of posters. Randy
  • Good idea Robert. I had blackened the bricks prior to placement but it's not showing up that well. I'll work on that area.

Randy, the shingles are HO scale 1x12 1x10 1x8 mixed together. I grain 1 side then color using the same chalk as the walls. Once dry, I use a piece of wood 3/8" across to measure and snap off the shingles. I put them in a container then add some black IA. Let it sit for an hour-ish then dump them out on the workbench to dry. This is what makes some of them black.

The color variation is a bit more than I usually like. This is because I mixed in some left over shingles from the Tractor Repair build when I realized I would need to add a few courses of shingles to each side due to poor measuring. I did not soak these shingles in IA so they are more in the brown tone.

All of the shingles are installed now. I will give a light sanding and add a gray wash. Not sure if it will be more IA or very thin paint. Then probably a 2-tone gray drybrush...light gray first then lighter gray on topThis will be to reduce some of the contrast. From there I'll add some streaking and I'm considering patches of moss. Then I'll add a metal roof cap.

The roof sag survived the shingle process and is subtle. I added a piece of currugated to serve as flashing around the stove pipe but I'm not sure if I like it. May end up switching to a different material.

IMG_0584
    IMG_0583
  • You know I love your work Bryan, and maybe I missed your intent. Is this depicting a new roof? Looks so much "newer" than the rest of the model. Again, I dont compare to your stuff, just wondering sir.
  • Bryan, thanks for the explanation. I think I agree with you about the flashing. I would use flat metal and make it smaller. When you do the sanding, staining, dry brushing and wash the roof should look a lot more decrepit. Looking good. Randy
  • Thanks Emery. Had not thought about the roof being a newer addition. I think a lot of the color difference is due to the lighting and photo abilities. The colors are much closer than the photos would suggest. That being said, the walls got an extra treatment that the roof will get soon. Keep the thoughts coming.

Randy, I scrapped the corrugated and will go with a much smaller metal flashing.
  • Gotta luv those shingles
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry.

Roof installed. I think I'll give it a break for a while and decide on moss and the stove pipe.

IMG_0594
    IMG_0593
    IMG_0592
  • You were right on the lighting in previous photos. That roof looks excellent!!
  • Fantastic. Have been enjoying following along.
  • Nicely done!
  • Turned out GREAT!
  • Bryan, the shed looks great. I like that tarpaper patch. Adds more interest to the roof. And I do think the smaller flat flashing does look better. Randy
  • Looking great Bryan. Patches and flashing are nicely balanced.
  • Nice work Bryan. Moss will even enhance it more !!
  • that turned out great!
  • Thanks guys. Robert, I agree on the moss. Need to decide how much, what color, etc.
  • The roof is great but moss would certainly not be out of place and would give a bit of colour.
  • Bryan.
    A bit of green with some brown mixed in ........Pete Moss........
  • Maybe I could have a 3 Pete with Moss, Rose and Bog
  • Don't cave into the peer pressure man! Be a "rolling stone" or give into the "MMMM"
  • Maybe it will just be Pete and his brother Repeat.
    IMG_0600
  • The guy on the right I wonder how he likes that toothpick where it is. ........Pete
  • Its Halloween!
  • You know 'brian you talked about twisting the wires so you know which go together when they get twisted. I use shrink tubing to hold together pairs of wires. You have to get the tiniest size diameter, but it prevents breaking of these small wires and works really well. Just an idea.
  • That's a great idea also.
  • I finally got around to working on the castings. Most "wood" castings completed, most "metal" castings have base coat on. I've always liked this casting. The cover looks like it was casted to be plywood with broken corners, or maybe tarpaper covering wood. But I went with a sheetmetal cover with blotches of rust.
    IMG_0621
  • I like your interpretation and despite Brett's prowess for 3D development, there will always be a place for his amazing resin castings. Well done.
  • I always love seeing your finish work on castings. Excellent detail work again!