visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

not the sharpest Tool in the Shed

Comments

• This is really starting to take shape Bryan. The sagging roof is going to be great. Thanks for sharing this cool detail.
  • Love where this is going Bryan. I love the sagging roof, well executed.
  • Bryan, just catching up here. Very interesting approach to this building. Looking forward to following along.
  • Absolutely lovely! That sagged roof is complementing this building in a great way! Awesome job! And that weathered look is wonderful!
  • Thanks guys. Been out of town for a while. Hope to get castings started over the weekend. I'll look to do the interior, add a couple lights then add the roof.
  • I'm looking forward to that Bryan, your details and lighting always bring your work to life.
    Shingles would look great on that sagging roof...
    Nice work so far
  • Shingles is what I was thinking also Karl. With a metal ridge cap and metal or tarpaper flashing.
  • this is gonna look so good when finished.....
  • I finally got around to getting some more done. The interior details are placed. These shots are what is seen looking through the doors plus an overhead to see the whole floor. Only needed to detail the back wall.

On to the lighting.

IMG_0563
    IMG_0567
    IMG_0566
    IMG_0565
  • Bryan.
    I like the prop under the workbench leg.........Carl
  • Nicely done Bryan! Great scene construction.
  • Bryan, great looking detail parts. The rust on the reel by the front door looks very real. I can't wait to see the shake shingles. I still have my cigar box cedar sheets up on the roof weathering. Keep the great updates coming. Thanks, Randy
  • Thanks Randy and Ken. Carl, I had fun with the prop. It's a Superman comic with the corners curled up.
  • I put in some dummy rafters as you would expect to see when you looked through the doors. They will also serve to hold lights. I will not be adding light fixtures inside due to low ceiling. Will just fix to the rafters out of sight.

IMG_0361
  • Great detailing! Like the bricks under the stove.
  • edited October 2022
    is that a wanted poster on the cabinet door?
  • It is so much fun following your builds. Always added details that I would never think of. So very cool!! Thanks Bryan!!
  • Wonderful detailing and finishing Bryan,
    the bricks under the stove, magazine under the wobbly table leg, label on the jug/jar on top of the cabinet, great finish on all of the details.
  • Thanks guys. Yes Kevin, that is a wanted poster. It made me chuckle. Company called ETA Diorama Accessories. Got the wanted poster, the Superman comic book under the table leg, the pin up girl among some other things like the playing cards and cigarette packs I put in the Tractor Repair shed. Fun little details.

The roof has been prepared and the lights installed. The purlins were added and then the whole roof was primed. I added some left over pieces of siding to the underneath just in case you catch a glimpse under the roof. It should be installed later today and then on to the shingles.

The lights were simply glued to the studs with the wires routed over the top of the fake rafters. This is fine since the roof will not be removable. I drilled a hole in the floor that is behind one of the support beams underneath so the wires can be hidden as they go through the base.

When working with magnet wires for lights, always twist the wire pairs together before wiring. Trust me it saves headaches later. I also tie a knot in the end of each pair so when I untangle them later to wire to the board, I know which pair goes together. They are now secured until needed later.

Last bit of detailing going on inside before the roof goes on. A few sprinkles of dirt brushed into the corners (I'll use these photos to find/remove the rock size pieces) a few pieces of spilled coal and a couple pieces of crumpled up paper. I'll secure this with gravel fixer then glue on the roof.

IMG_0362
    IMG_0363
    IMG_0364
    IMG_0572
    IMG_0573
    IMG_0574
    IMG_0575
    IMG_0576
  • The roof has been attached with some tarpaper flashing added.

Lumber has arrived at the shingle mill...

IMG_0580
    IMG_0579
    IMG_0578
  • Bryan, very nice graining on the floor boards. Randy
  • The structure with both swag and sag! Look forward to the shingle work.
  • this is looking better and better every update. excellent.
  • Love the detailing. Great stuff.
  • Thanks all. Ken, wait no more...

Shingle work has begun. I realized I mis-measured the purlin locations. No worries, just added a couple extra that will be unseen.

IMG_0581
  • Hope they cut enough at the mill.

IMG_0582
  • Very nice...
  • wonderful work Bryan, great color and texture on the shingles,
    the interior additions and added finesse are perfect
  • As Art stated...Nice! Roof work is such an important part of any project and well worth the effort you're giving it here Bryan, well done.
  • Nothing like individual shingles. Great work.