visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

not the sharpest Tool in the Shed

Comments

• Be aware that the moss and decay stuff are as thick as mud. Extra shaking required. Great end results though.
  • Paint is all dry on the roof and the smokestack added. Stole an idea I liked from Ken for a rain cover on the stack.

IMG_0648
    IMG_0650
    IMG_0652
  • Really nice Bryan! Love the siding color tone, fits the old saggy roof perfectly. Beautiful work.
  • Bryan you need a little birds nest with the poop here and there. .......Hah......
  • Thanks Ken. Getting that silver/gray has been a trial and error process for years.

Carl, keep the ideas coming. I already have the wildlife primed. 3 birds and a raccoon.

IMG_0655
  • Always looking for small animals to create that little scene.....
  • It is looking good Bryan!
  • Looks great Bryan, love the effect and the multiple colours give it a lot more depth and realism
  • Nice work Bryan. The weathered wood color is just right. And I like the moss. You know I use this often. Be sure to place this building in a humid environment with lots of trees. There's no moss in the desert. :smiley:
  • Thanks guys.

Robert, you are right about trees. I will have to find ways to show trees are around without showing trees. The base is very small and there is no room for a tree. Maybe if I had a bunch of O scale acorns or pinecones I could toss around...
  • As I said, the base is very small.IMG_0658
    IMG_0659
    IMG_0661
    IMG_0662
  • just beautiful. it makes me want to try one. did you cast the cobblestones?
  • Very nice Bryan! the cobblestones add a nice touch.
  • Thanks. been wanting to try cobblestones for a while. Was thinking of a large area in the Foundry. Nice way to try a small section here.

They are cast with dental plaster from molds from Diorama Debris. 3x6 stones in 1:35
  • Think that's referred to as a "vignette"...I know...don't hurt myself! Very nice.
  • Thanks Ken. I was planning on having a vine or 2 climbing up the walls in the back. I believe vines in scale are vignettes (;
  • no, no no! vignette is a salad dressing! c'mon.....
  • Bryan,
    The cobblestones are an amazing detail. Well thought out and executed. A detail that won't be overlooked but doesn't steal the show.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Bryan Great looking shingles, ridge cap, and moss. I have not decided if I will add moss to my handcar shed or not but it does add more interest to the roof. Randy
  • Looking great...
  • Coming together beautifully now Bryan, the cobblestones and curb stone look great, a not often done feature. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress from here.
  • I guess in Europe, cobblestones are very common. Well, were, now it's tarmac most of the time. It's a very nice detail. A bit on the large side, but it is 1/35....as to 1/48 for the building.
    Another way to make these cobblestones is to engrave them in self harding clay. This is on my metric O scale (1/43,5 ) layout.

DSCN5694

DSCN5695

DSCN5696

• i saw it done once with a paint brush with all the bristles removed. it was pressed into plaster and looked just like robert's cobblestones except they were stark white until they were painted.
  • I like the greenhouse and cobblestone. If I decide to do cobblestones on the foundry, I will likely use the roller on clay method Robert. Greenstuff World has a nice collection. This exercise gave me an excuse to use the individual casted stones.
  • This is turning out fantastic. Such a simple structure with a ton of interest and character. Love the addition of the cobblestone and moss on the roof.
  • Like the moss on the roof... and Robert your scenery is always impressive
  • That is just excellent. The color of those shingles and the addition of the green foliage... just wow. That's why I really like this forum so much. Its one big inspirational platform and helps to get new ideas for new projects. This is absolutely inspiring Bryan!
  • Once again, wonderful work Bryan.
  • admin said:

This is turning out fantastic. Such a simple structure with a ton of interest and character. Love the addition of the cobblestone and moss on the roof.

this is so cool.

• Thanks all. Brett, we just start with outstanding material and use imagination.

Here we have the vgnettes under constructon. Thanks Ken for the eyedea. Ts all pun and games untl someone looses and I.

Oh, and I put down the first layer of dirt and sunk in the large details. Layering to proceed at once.

IMG_0668
    IMG_0669