visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

not the sharpest Tool in the Shed

Comments

• Yeah, that's a classic. Never gonna stop making castings like that!
  • edited November 2022
    I've always liked that casting too Bryan, I also treat it as a metal sheet whenever I use it.
    You did a great job on yours as always.
  • Bryan, nice job with the color for the whole casting. The metal looks good with the rust. I like the dark color you have at the bottom of the box. Randy
  • Drum roll...or on a stick.IMG_0629
    IMG_0628
  • Those are spectacular! Love the color combo's.
  • Very nice!
  • Outstanding work on those drums Bryan.
  • as has been said before....They look realer than real....
  • edited November 2022
    Most excellent!...love the dust effects and rust staining.
  • Bryan, great work. I like the dusty appearance. Randy
  • Thanks guys. I'm not sure where all the drums are going to go there are so many.

The dust effect was a happy accident. There is a layer is sediment at the bottom of my mineral spirits jar that I clean my brushes in. Whenever it gets low I just add more but never wash it out. Now when I dip a brush all the way to the bottom it picks up a couple years of every color paint imaginable. Brush it on light/heavy/whatever. This is how it dries.
  • Drums are perfect again Bryan. I always go back to the ones you have done to try get as good of a look. Thanks for sharing more of these beauties!
  • Love what you’ve achieved with those drums Bryan. Fantastic work.
  • Thanks fellas. Starting to think about the base and placement of the details. I'm now leaning towards the minimalist approach and making the base 6x9...just enough for the structure and junk piles at the base of the structure. I'll be omitting the gas pump and tank (they are going onto a different project) and there will be no tracks. I think it will be a nice contrast sitting next to the big 'ol O'Neills diorama. Maybe a hint of a cobblestone road would be a new twist.
  • Wow this looks great, Brian. Super job on the wood castings. It looks awesome. Really brings out the detail.
  • Bryan,

The weathering on the tops of those barrels is superb. I am not certain that I have seen that treatment previously. But it certainly looks very natural. Thanks.

Later Dave S. Tucson AZ
  • That last drum is amazing. Perfect dust/rust effect.
  • Thanks guys. Been slow going on this build but making some progress. Resin castings almost done, metal castings blackened and up next.

I got a start on the roof moss this morning. Hope to have it covered over the weekend. Started by dabbing white glue with a very small and worn out paint brush. Sprinkled on some fine light brown ground cover. Press it in then blow it off.

IMG_0641
    IMG_0642
    IMG_0643
  • Wow, that looks amazing.
  • Love, love, love it!
  • Have a silmilar idea for the water tank and shed.....I like the way yours looks.....do you do algae too...lol?
  • Thanks guys.

Muddy, yes there will be algae...for the water tank to come also. I have several tones of green slime that will work nicely.
  • Ehew grungy!...wait a minute..I love grungy! Nice effect Bryan.
  • edited November 2022
    Thanks Ken.

One side mostly done. Got the moss glued down then painted a base of the dark and highlighted with light. Got some lichen spots on the shingles and finished it off with some orange blooms. I made the moss heavier near the false front since it probably gets more shade but did not cover the tarpaper patch. Will take some shots outside when it stops raining.

The color palette is below. It's important to layer the colors on the moss just like we do on other details to give a more natural feel.

IMG_0645
    IMG_0646
    IMG_0644
  • Looking fantastic Bryan.
  • Moss turned out GREAT Bryan!
  • The Moss Master!
  • Just ordered a few of the moss and decay stuff from AK