visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• excellent work on that vise.
  • It has the right color, great work Karl ..
  • Very nice work.
  • Looks great Karl.

Jerry
  • edited December 2021
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments, it's a beautiful casting.

Sorry Pap, it's O scale, you're going to have upsize your game to O if
    you want to see this detail in your kit box. As good as you are doing in HO
    a small O kit for display you would enjoy.
  • edited December 2021
    Ya, was thinking about doing an O scale larger kit in the future.
    I did my first kit from SW a few years back which was the Dueling Shacks in O scale...great kit for newbies to get started and learn.
    Keep up your great work Karl!
  • Karl, love watching your attention to detail on the details.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks Joel, that is very appreciated.
    Whenever I do something, all I'm thinking is, what could be better, what have I missed, what's the next level, as I'm looking at the picture before I hit 'post'.
    As soon as I hit 'post' and the picture pops up on screen, thats!! when I see all the things that Kevin 'O' would say to me to fix and could be better, lol.
    I sure do miss our semi-weekly calls and pushing each other to do more, go further. He's still with me in my head every time I paint details, driving me, watching over my shoulder, supporting each other and coming up with ideas for each other.

For example, I went back and cleaned off the sloppy paint from the top ball of the handle slide rod and shined up the handle of the slide rod slightly as it should be, because it was bugging me and I know he would have seen it and mentioned it... haha.

"Every detail is it's own little model..."
  • Always nice to have someone whose talent you respect (no matter the endeavor) to drive you to do better.

George
  • Kevin O is missed by many...in particular those that were very close to him......I was very lucky many years back in a hotel breakfast area in Foxboro Mass. when Brian N. noticed I had a firefighter's shirt on and invited me to sit and eat with both him and Kevin. We chatted fire stuff....and that drifted to modeling....both of them had great interest in what I was doing (at that time I had just ordered the sawmill machinery from Brett) and our conversation continued during that show anytime we crossed paths....It was a great time....
  • I didn't know Kevin O.
    He sounded like a great person and modeler.
  • Kevin did have a way with details but you and Ken do carry the torch forward. Nice to remember our yearly get togethers.
  • edited January 2022
    kevin

There's a story behind this pic of Kevin, I suspect a few forum members know what Kev is holding. hah! Miss you buddy.
  • Yup, a great time that was, hah, I've still got that pic up on the wall in here.
  • edited January 2022
    Spent some time this evening working on more of the metal details, there were still plenty left to do even after building the cat, the bates, the disconnect(which I cant find) and the AH&D winch. So I finally got at it...

The ones on the big sheet will just be general junk so they will just get rust effects and heavy weathering.

Painted, chipped, dusted and rusted the ones that needed it.

Not sure where these are going yet so just painted and chipped for now, I'll either rust or weather accordingly dependent on where they end up, ie' a junk pile, so, more rusty and dilapidated, or, in the shop as spares, so more oily and cleaner. Time will tell.

I guess nothing else to do but clean this mess up, get the dio base back onto the desk, get the scenery supplies out and finish this beauty off...

I hate cleaning up, it's what slows me down, but I do love Brett's (SWSM) details. Time to get it done...

• Ah yes. The little details left after the bigger details have been assembled. Once you've completed this stage, then on to the details on the details.
  • Love that you can see the bristles on the push broom
  • edited May 2022
    Indeed Bryan, the spiral of the rabbit hole... fun !!

Thats all Brett's masterful masters and exquisite casting George, I havent touched the bristles other than to blacken and then rub to show up his incredible detail in the cast in details.

I still have a few specific resin and metal details to finish up, even after all those previously shown, so, I did get the desk cleaned off and I'm going to do those before the scenery and base.

First one to do tonight is the forge casting...

I'm going to light it up again first before I paint it.

• Your doing great as usual Karl. Can't wait to see more :smile:
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks Pap,
    forcing myself to clean up always slows me down, but I got it done.
    Here's an update on the forge, same process as I did the last one. Now I just need to paint the bricks/stone and detail it, then put it away until needed.
    After that it's time to get this nice clean desk all messy again... haha
    Thanks for following along and all the input.

• edited January 2022

• that is an awesome series of pictures showing the progression!
  • Just an observation.....a little soot by the cleanout in the front....
  • edited January 2022
    Beautiful job Karl.
    Did you use one of those little Hobby lobby flicker lights inside the forge?
    I have a box of those and was thinking making a campfire or a oil drum/trash can with wood fire.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks Ben, Art and Pap.
    That will be done when I install it Art so I can blend it into the dirt. Also, it will be more of a grey ash colour rather than a black soot colour.

Yes Pap, thats what I used.

Trash can.

Vertical Boiler

• edited January 2022
    Awesome Karl! Again beautiful detailed work my friend.
    Now make a campfire with hobo's sitting around the fire :smiley:
    Those flickering lights look exactly what I have.
  • I may be going a bit crazy and just thinking out loud.
    But, has anyone added smoke to theses little features?..Karl?
    Had a train layout years ago and remember adding smoke fluid to the train engine.
    I know there has to be a heating element to get the smoke flowing.
    May be a bit of a challenge.
    Just a thought :smile:
  • edited January 2022
    I messed around with pulling out a smoke unit from a cheap loco quite a few years ago and hooked it up to a small power supply to generate the heat, and therefore the smoke.
    It worked without a problem and easy enough to do.

The trouble with it is... you heat oil to get the smoke, granted at low temp so thats not a problem, the problem is with the residue the 'smouldering' oil produces in the smoke, not so much a big deal for a train dispersing it as it goes around a track, though it does eventually coat things.

That residue is not something I would want coating one of my SierraWest structures from a static burn barrel or similar static effect next to, or even inside the structure.

So in answer, yes I've done it, no it's not too complicated, but no, I wouldnt use the feature on anything near a high quality SWSM model that I've spent so much time on.

Look at anybody's loco with a smoke unit, the stack and top of the loco will be coated in an oily residue, usually also droplets from where they 'spit' occasionally.

I definitly wouldn't recommend it but its easily done.

• Thanks Karl.
    Never thought a residue from the smoke. Have never heard that.
    There are many layouts out there with SW kits with train loco's with smoke.
    I wonder if these folks have the residue problem on structures...don't know.
    Appreciate the info.
    Just trying to think of new things to do is all.
  • edited January 2022
    Never stop thinking Pap,
    The residue is a common and regular topic on many train forums...
    Google :- " model train smoke residue on layout "

As I said, a moving loco with a smoke unit disperses the residue around the layout, still not ideal though. Certainly not something I want all over my SWSM structure.

As with everything though, it's up to the individual modeller on what they want. I have also seen a sawdust burner with a smoke unit installed... somewhere... can't remember where.

As you asked me specifically, I answered with my own actual experience, and results.

Not right, not wrong, just what I have personally learned and can offer as a reply, and something to think about.