visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• Thanks Karl. did't know just for O scale.
  • Thanks so much Jim, glad to read you have enjoyed the thread so far.

I have been side tracked by three other builds while also working on this one, hence the slight pause.
    One of those builds has been done,
    Another one will be finished tonight...
    The third will remain an ongoing project... but,

I am planning on cleaning up this desk tomorrow and getting out the scenery supplies and diorama base after that and getting to work on finishing the diorama over the weekend, so, stay tuned.
  • mine's on hold. molly takes up all of our time. its no wonder mike engler hasn't posted since he got his pup....
    i'm really anxious to see your base and how you go about the landscaping.
  • I'm trying to come up with a plan Kev, I guess I need to just jump in and stop thinking.
  • i had a few minute downstairs early this morning and realized i have to put the circular saw blade back on my dremel. the groove i cut in the base to accomodate the leds for the forge stopped about 1/4" short of the wall; sheesh. whatinthehell was i thinking.
  • edited January 2022
    Ha Kevin, glad you spotted it in good time .
    Now if that was me... I woudn't have realized until everything else was finished and I went to plug it in ...

I only just started getting things laid out before I noticed I need to build and install the windows and also the post and beam missing wall.
    Oh well, at least it's on my desk and ready to go ... kinda.

• edited January 2022
    While working on the windows this evening I've been looking over at the Bates, the more I look at it the more I know I've got to redo it.

Even though... it will be inside the structure and barely seen and I originally did this base layer finish 10 years ago, I've just got to try and update it a little...

But that can wait until tomorrow ... I'll just add it on the 'to do' list for now.
    Back to the windows...

• edited May 2022
    My good friend and a great fellow modeller 'Wesley Becks' once posted this in my Sawmill thread...
    Wes said:

Beautiful Karl. How about showing us one of your screw ups sometime .....

So, here's one of those back steps, (back steps makes me feel better than saying 'screw ups')
    I do generally try to show when I redo something, to show that most things can be redone if you're not happy the first time. It's quicker to do it twice than not do it at all.
    Jump in and give it a go.

Here's the Bates for this kit, I did it about 10 years ago, using the rocksalt and overspray method... I didn't like the results, so, I put the kit away at the time and moved on to something new.

So, now I've faced the facts and I am stripping it back down...

After a 24hr soak in alcohol, a toothbrush scrub got most of the craft paint off.

Once that was done and dry... I dipped a toothbrush into xylene and gently scrubbed the rest off...

Looks like I originally primed it with 'red oxide' but I dont have any of that, so, this time I'm going to prime it with flat black...

So, lets see what I can come up with this time around.
  • Karl, I am looking forward to your stepback. I am sure it will come out fantastic as do all your models. Randy
  • Karl, I am also looking forward to your 'step back'. and producing a better Bates !
    Great lessons all around,
    Thanks,
    --Paul
  • Thanks Randy and Paul, I'm hoping so myself.

I let the black base dry over night.

• Good job stripping that down
  • It's comforting to know that even the masters have to take a mulligan every once in a while. It seems like I have to re-do just about everything I do at least once. I'm sure it will be a beaty once it's done and you're satisfied.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks Bryan, (almost) everything's fixable.
    Thanks Jim, re-doing things is part of learning, none of us always get it right the first time. Practice and repetition makes us better.

Basic, rough painting done...

finishing details to be added, some final painting needs to be completed in areas, such as the seat and tool boxes and maybe some chalk to finish it off.

Apologies for the variation in picture quality / colour balance ... just progress pics.
  • Much better. Man that looks good.
  • Very nice. Surely a machine headed to the repair shop
  • My eye caught the pile of pallets in the background as well. The idea of a haphazard grouping of pallets adds a lot to a mini-scene
    Terry
  • now i want to redo mine....
  • Love it, especially the rust snail trails. Very realistic...
  • Quite the wonderful transformation Karl !!
    Looks like it needs some reconditioning and repairs, most excellent !
  • edited January 2022
    thanks guys, I'm much happier with it now, so far.
    I didnt bother redoing the tracks as they wont be seen... a little chalk and then onwards.
  • Just stunning. The rust pattern is so realistic. The paint is worn away in all the right places.
  • Thanks Joel.
  • Karl, as I suspected your stepback produced outstanding results.
  • Thanks Randy.
  • edited January 2022
    Work day over and time to assemble the tracks...

Kinda reminds me of one of those jigsaws where all the pieces are the same shape, hope I get them in the right order...

• A little progress tonight after work.
    I got the tracks epoxied together, and then to the drive train. Perfect fit as always.

I tried to get the tracks that come over the top a little uneven to show that they were loose, but not so much to be 'theatrical' ...

I plan to try and get this great part of the kit glued up and finished up tomorrow...

• Karl, the tractor looks better with the redo !! I have a tractor to heres a picture of mineDSC00082
  • Tractor is getting better and better Karl.