visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Looks like the Lathe could be brought up to date also!!

I want to know how you did them good so many years ago and your still striving for more perfection today?

Just love the way you persist!! Excellent job my friend!!

Jerry
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks, I got the basic painting done Chris,
    now I've got to do the weathering and detailing, so, you're going to have to wait a little longer.

Thanks Jerry, I always try to find something new, different, original to add/do, to keep it interesting and challenge myself to do better and push further.
    Of course, Brett's/SWSM outstanding details and kits offer many opportunities for me to do this.
  • karl, i know i've seen a finished forge lit up. what up witdat?
  • edited May 2022
    Well spotted Kev,
    I've sent that previously finished and lit forge off to a new home with Jerry.

I'm replacing it with the same forge from my SWSM Blacksmith detail set. Over the years most of the other details from that amazing set have been used on my many different SW scratchbuilt upscales, but the forge was still rattling around in the box, so I can use it here.
  • aswesome. if you're planning to light this one the same way, please do a step by step
  • Karl, the colors on the shelves and others are looking fantastic.
    btw, who's the girl on the shelf in the back ground..love it :)
  • edited December 2021
    I'll be doing it the same way Kevin, I'll SbS it for you.

Thanks on the shelves Chris,

Chris, that's a figure I was using to practice painting highlights and shadows using various shades to enhance castings. In that case such as shadows on her face, spine, around her clothes, her legs, ribs and abs to try to subtly define areas. Also adding small details such as lips and eyes.
    Most of the shadows and highlights you see on her body in these pics are actually painted on her with different shades of paint and not the actual lighting.

gs001
    gs002
    gs003
    gs004

Break time over, time for me to get back to some real castings....
  • edited November 2021
    I'm guessing this is the Lathe you were refering to Jerry?
    It's an amazingly detailed piece, not sure how I can update it, but,
    I will do my best with it to do Brett's casting justice, but... not until tomorrow.

• Karl, she's beautiful!!! :smiley:
  • Thanks. Not as beautiful as Brett's details, I'm trying to upload them now but my phone keeps disconnecting.
    Here's one.

• edited November 2021
    Most of the intricate 'wooden' resin done.
    Moving on to the 'metal' resin tomorrow.

Everything on these castings is cast in place and comes as one piece, nothing separate has been added to them, it's amazing how Brett can get this much detail and clarity into a single casting.

I'll need to redo the bands on the barrels as they turned pinkish after an A/I dip. No big deal to darken them down and get them darker and 'rusty' again tomorrow.
  • Beautiful work on those detail parts.

I have a pile of wood that needs to be cut so you can send her over when she's done at your place!!

And thank you for the forge and being a friend.

Jerry
  • beautiful paintwork on the castings. And yes, it has to be said that those castings are incredible !!! ( it's just the smell of them... bbbwwweeeuuuurrkkk) :smiley: Not exactly my favorite perfume... :wink:

And the girl .... every lumberjack's wet dream.... :blush:
  • Excellent work on the castings.
  • Wonderful!
  • The resin casting master back at work! Superbly done and something to aspire to!
  • Fantastic work Karl!
  • Those castings are absolutely lifelike. Wow!
  • Castings turned out GREAT! Nice subtle coloring.
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks guys for the great and motivating comments.
    To be honest I'm always a little intimidated when I first prime one of Brett's big shelf castings and all that intricate detail pops out. But then I get started with one colour, then the next colour and they are such a joy to work on and I'm always happy at the end.

So, after my regular Sunday phone call with Mum who's back in the UK its time to move forward with the 'metal' resin.
    I dusted them off while I was on the phone and they're ready to go. There are about 20 or 30 more drums, bottles and cinder blocks that I'll need to add back to this collection to make it whole again as I stole them for other projects, I'll dig them out as I go.

Also I used the AH&D hoist boiler on my recent MainStreet Warehouse upscale. Luckily I have a similar basic boiler so we'll see what I can cobble together to look similar with that one.

To start with though, the simpler items and then onto the lathe and the hoist at the end.

Updates as they happen...
  • Thanks for the updates Karl! And hope your mom is doing well at home in the UK with all this crap going on.
    Keep up your fantastic work!
  • Shame to spread these stellar detailed castings around a diorama...they look so good all together like this! Lol.
  • edited December 2021
    Thanks Chris, she's doing great, at 76 it'll take more than a worldwide pandemic to keep her down.

You're right on that Ken, I often think the same thing myself sometimes at this stage in a build, however, I'm perculating an idea...

Well, I've been bouncing around between these and a few other projects on my other desk. I have all the base colours done for these so now I'm going to settle down to the weathering and finishing.
    I do need to blacken a few metal parts (seen bottom left 2nd pic) to finish this resin selection so I'll do that first, then move on.

As per your post in the other thread Chris, no, we don't all have a vast selection of Vallejo, AK and Reaper paints. Some of us just use cheap craft paints from Walmart, as shown below.

The small bottle shown is Brett's/SWSM 'tarnished steel' the only one I've used so far.

I do however have Brett's great full set of paints, but, I need to wrap it in a towel and throw it in the clothes drier for 30mins before I can use them, (to shake them up). Maybe I'll do that while the metal is blackening.

• edited November 2021
    Karl…I certainly appreciate the progress photos and watching you do your magic from start to finish…thanks
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry, always good to read your comments and know you are watching over my shoulder.

• edited November 2021
    Karl, so glad to hear your mom doing great at 76 young! I just turned 71 on the 12th this month and still kicking. You guys keep my mind active and alive with this great hobby. :smile:
    Also my wife who keeps me in line..lol
    Keep up your great and beautiful work!
  • Seems like there's quite a few of us Scorpios hanging around here... mine was on
    the 10th, yours the 12th, Jerry's also got a big one this coming week and a V.I.P is not far behind us.
    It must be something in the stars...
  • edited November 2021
    Well, I couldn't resist it any longer, the lathe kept calling my name and grabbing my eye while I was working on the barrels and things so,

I spent an hour or so putting on the basic colours and getting everything just right...
    Now its time to get it weathered and not so pristine looking...
  • edited November 2021
    Karl, happy birthday to us Scorpios..love it Nov 12 1950...damn I'm getting old..lol :smiley:
  • edited November 2021
    I guess I should have epoxied the 'legs' on before I finished it out, but hey, I'll worry
    about that later. For now I'm happy with it for an interior detail that unfortunately is
    going to get buried inside the structure and barely seen... I am however really pleased
    with the result.

I guess I'll go back to the barrels etc tomorrow and stick this up on the shelf until needed.