visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• Great work on the castings as usual. And you are right, a lot of those fine castings won't be seen at the end, but you know they are there and that counts... That's why I believe in removable roofs... And ...euh.. I am looking over your shoulder as well.. :wink:
  • The lathe picture is a perfect example of how to mute a red detail in a grouping. It is easy to have a red/yellow/orange/white detail stick out like a sore thumb sitting on a shelf. I personally like adding color variations and your example above shows how to add that color without the color taking over.
  • Oh my!...that lathe is just amazing...you’re in “the zone”!
  • Lathe turned out great!
  • Karl, wish you lived close by so I can pick your brain!...lol
    Keep up your great work!
  • Karl.A said:

I'll be doing it the same way Kevin, I'll SbS it for you.

Thanks on the shelves Chris,

Chris, that's a figure I was using to practice painting highlights and shadows using various shades to enhance castings. In that case such as shadows on her face, spine, around her clothes, her legs, ribs and abs to try to subtly define areas. Also adding small details such as lips and eyes.

gs001
    gs002
    gs003
    gs004

Break time over, time for me to get back to some real castings....

how'd ya do the bedroom eyes??

• edited November 2021
    Resin basically finished, some epoxying to do when installing. I'm not at all happy with the finish on the drums, I'll need to practice on some more drums and replace a few of these.

Group shot of most of the resin details

I may go on to blackening and working on the metal details tonight, or, I may cut a piece of foam and work on laying the floor boards and ties for the dio base.
    I haven't decided yet.
  • Just fantastic work Karl. Such an inspiration. I can't believe the speed at which you create art. Keep up the amazing work.
  • They all look very nice.

For drums, I like to sponge on a rust colored acrylic. Once dry, give a dirty/dusty wash and let it settle into the nooks.
  • I'm with Joel...your productivity coupled with the unparalleled quality is crazy good.
  • Thanks guys I appreciate all of the replies.
    I'll have a removeable roof Robert, but, they'll never be seen this clearly again, shame.
    Great thoughts on colour Bryan, and thank you. I feel the same as you, colour needs to be there but, it needs to be subtle, I try.
    Thanks Ken, I'm sure you understand that when 'you get the feeling, the feeling just gets you'.
    Thanks Tom, it was a fun piece.
    Pick away Chris, I'm only a keystroke away.
  • edited November 2021
    kebmo said:

how'd ya do the bedroom eyes??

Kevin, I paid for dinner.....

Keep in mind, the head is only 1/8" wide and 3/16" high... The face less than that.

I wanted her to appear with her bent head down, and tilted to one side, but also
    looking up, so...

I added shadows more to the inside top of her eye sockets and eyelids,
    also down the right side of her nose and also darker on her top lip. Giving the
    the effect her head was tilted down and to one side.

To enhance this feel/look I painted in the highlights just above her eyebrows,
    the bridge of her nose and the point of her chin whilst also adding shadows to
    the hair line and beneath her jaw on the neck.

This gave the effect of her head tilted down, this coupled with the highlights I
    added to the top of the cheek bones just under the eyes gave a good look.

Now that I had the facial shadows and effects done I worked on the eyes. To get
    her appearing to look up and sideways from beneath the now lowered eyelids I painted
    the whites of her eyes narrower to appear slightly closed with the lowered lids.
    I then painted her pupils closer to the top of the whites, right next to the eyelids, instead
    of in the middle, this gives the effect of looking up.

I also painted the pupils slightly off center, in the opposite direction to the way her
    head was turned.

Once finished with her eyes, I added shadow under her bottom lip, between her lips and
    added a highlight in the middle of her lower lip to enhance the look.

This all combined gave the effect that...
    her head is slightly bowed and turned away, but, she is looking up and slightly back at
    the viewer through lowered eyes.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but, that was my thought process while doing the face and some of the steps I took.
    This super close pic shows the flaws that I need to work on, I do think its great for my first
    try.

It was a good learning experience that I'm proud of.

Well, I didn't do crap on the actual build tonight, life got in the way. Hopefully I'll have some progress tomorrow.

• you should be proud of her. i wanted to get her phone number.......
  • Well I spent last night going back through the forum and scouring and admiring the outstanding builds of this kit by Bryan, Joel and Robert. Admiring their work and marvelling at what each builder had done with this great kit. I got lost in time and by then it was too late to do anything but eat and sleep.

As usual I'm following Brett's direction in the manual on this one so after work tonight I moved the finished details safely over to the other desk behind me and then found some foam for the base. Cut to the specified 14.5"x15.5".

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the landscape yet so I just cut the top layer to this overall size so I can move on with the structure, I'll cut it down as needed later when I decide.

Nothing else to do now but start graining and staining strip wood for the floor, and then on to the roofs...

• Still early stages and not really happy, but, there's a long way to go, I guess, it's time to go eat and walk away until tomorrow.

• Karl.A said:

Seems like there's quite a few of us Scorpios hanging around here... mine was on
    the 10th, yours the 12th, Jerry's also got a big one this coming week and a V.I.P is not far behind us.
    It must be something in the stars...

Yes Karl I made it!! 80th birthday today!!

Jerry

Ps Your work is just outstanding!!

• Making good progress
  • Just revolved the sun for the 65th time on Nov. 6......
  • I'm a Scorpio too. Turned 71 Oct 27th. What a crowd of Scorpios......Rick
  • Just revolved the sun for the 65th time on Nov. 6......

me too, back in july

• Happy 'late' Scorpio Birthday Art and Rick.
    If/When 'the modeling shows' start again in November we're all going to need to get together and buy ourselves a table full of drinks and celebrate together.
  • edited November 2021
    Cheers to all Scorpio's here :smiley:
    Brett, let's have a birthday calendar for everyone
  • On30 show in Harrisburg PA. in June of 2022......
  • edited November 2021
    I googled it Art and Harrisburg is 'only' a 16hr drive from me... I don't think I'll be at that one unfortunately.

Not much modelling time for the last three days, but I managed to do an hour or two each night to work on the roof panels.
    Roofs still only have base boards added as I'm not sure of my final direction yet.

I do like to get all the main components to a point where I can start visualizing, putting them together and planning things out.

Nothing weathered yet or finished, just the basic levels.

Work again tomorrow so no progress, but, plenty of thinking time.

• Your “basics” are pretty impressive in themselves. Look forward to seeing the transition to final state.
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks Alan.

I wanted to go back to how my rigging shed looked and get that kinda feel again.
  • edited November 2021
    Well your right on there with the coloring will see where you take this one to!!

Jerry

It sure would be nice to sit down with a bunch of the guys and have a beer or two!
    I know Karl, Brett and me are up for it!!
  • Looking very good , even at this stage.... This was a great build for me to do. It is a great kit, period !!
  • Karl…nicely placed knots…not too many but enough to make the viewer aware of them without being distracted. Dark water stains at the board bottoms is very nice…one question on your window trim that I can’t discern from the pix. Is the trim set flush with the vertical boards or does it sit on top of the boards?
    Terry
  • A very good base to build on