visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• Fantastic woodwork!...love the saw banding.
  • Great weathering on the walls! The split, checks, and cracks really add character, and as has been stated, just enough knots to be believable.
  • Really nice base, looking forward to seeing you finish the colouring cause it looks pretty good right there.
  • You guys are lucky to live back east with all the train shows and get together.
    Used to be a couple of shows here on the west coast but after all this covid bs they cancelled
  • TomMich said:

Great weathering on the walls! The split, checks, and cracks really add character, and as has been stated, just enough knots to be believable.

what are checks?

• Looking great Karl....I have been trying really hard to get into the shop and even spend an hour....so many fire departments catching up on training I've been traveling a lot. Was lucky to get to the NNGC and find some treasures....large Pre-Christmas Greenberg show this weekend...but that's not what I am looking for....trying to find craftsman type stuff shows is hard. The show I mentioned is all On30...we re also doing one in April that is all "O"...a few other shows pop up, but not often enough. I like your idea of laying out the main components...gives you a good visual of tones matching or not...and a concept for weathering....I hope to get some work done once it gets cooler in the northeast and we are driven inside...
  • Kevin, checks in wood are similar to splitting caused by seasoning of the wood.
  • TomMich said:

Kevin, checks in wood are similar to splitting caused by seasoning of the wood.

thanks tom. i learn something everyday here....

• kebmo said:

TomMich said:

Great weathering on the walls! The split, checks, and cracks really add character, and as has been stated, just enough knots to be believable.

what are checks?

Something you get in the mail!!!

Jerry

• edited November 2021
    The 'saw banding' that has been commented on in my build are not my work so I cant take credit for them. They must just be naturally occuring in the strip wood.
    All I did was grain with a wire brush and add the knots and splits/checks.
    I did however select and place each board due to the effects and the way they looked, whether I added the effects of not.
    Thanks for all the continued comments, I appreciate them all.
  • edited November 2021
    Well not much work on this for the last couple of days, I couldnt visualise how to tie this in to a couple of other things, so I've been working on something else for a few days.
    Tonight I got back to this and figured the basics were always going to remain the same so I painted the base and epoxied the flooring down.

After that I went ahead and epoxied the ties down because thats not going to change either... (I dont think...)

Obviously after that was done I couldn't resist propping up a few walls and throwing in a few details to look at things.

Almost time for dirt and details...
  • Not too shabby at all, Karl. Your modeling is always an inspiration.

Cheers

George
  • Like the corner braces. I'll have to give them a try.
  • Looking great Karl!
    I love using the clothespin clamps as I have many and in multiple sizes.
  • edited March 2023
    Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get back to it this week.
    TomMich said:

Like the corner braces. I'll have to give them a try.

I came up with the idea for the braces and built 10 of them when I had to take my loco walls up and down so many times. They're quick and easy to use with the modified/adjusted clothespins and ensure everything is square, even though temporary.
    They're really great for holding walls in place during a build while you are planning and laying things out.

• Looks great Karl.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry.

Time for some progress, I cant go any further until I get the vast array of metal details finished, or, semi finished, so I'm going to work on them tonight.

The first step is to get them all blackened and ready for finishing.
    Here's a quick view of my process...

I'll come back and add some text when I'm done, but if you have questions ask away.

• Karl, you got it right. Alcohol first, blacken, then add parts to water and let dry overnight.
    Works every time with no bubbles flashes on the parts.
    Then polish and paint/weather.
  • edited December 2021
    Thanks Pap, great to see you've been paying attention.
  • I got all the remaining metal blackened, now its time for paint, finish and placement.

But, that can wait until tomorrow... time to eat and sleep.

• When I did mine...I was taken back with all the hammers.....I thought Brett lost track during the count....but the more photos I looked over on blacksmiths...it all made sense....
  • A post from Karl is like a present under the tree!
  • edited December 2021
    Merry Christmas Happy Holidays
  • Good start
  • Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    Had to work today but now it's time to relax.
  • Have a great holiday Karl!
  • Thanks Pap, you too.

I always love polishing up Brett's (SWSM) metal castings and watching all that incredible cast in detail pop out...
    It's like dry brushing with a dremel....

Polished the ones that will need it and left the few specific ones alone as necessary.

The hammer heads and tools dont really show up in these pics.

Time to get out in the yard for some fresh air... blue sky and 77, time to go walk around and be back later.

• edited January 2022
    Back at the desk, started with this beauty.

I must have worked on over 20 or 30 of Brett's vice castings over the years...

I never noticed before that the adjustment rod in the middle was
    actually threaded, so, I had to polish it up a little after I chipped the paint.

• Fantastic Karl!
    Have never seen this part in all my kits. Love to have this puppy! :wink: