visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Thanks Kev, use what ideas you want, that’s the point of us all sharing.

Brett taught me well when we develop techniques...
    1: keep it simple so anyone can do it
    2: no more than three steps

That’s why anyone who follows the manuals can get the results on the box, and feel that satisfaction.

The hard part isn’t following the techniques and getting the results.

The hard part is coming up with the techniques and developing them so 300 kit buyers can replicate them easily. Brett is the master at this. Among other things. .

This seat is a great example, many thought of doing it, in this and other situations, but, in 20 years of this kits production nobody did it (to my knowledge) or on similar builds.

So simple to do after you’ve seen it, almost an anticlimax.
    Remember where you saw it first, lol, SWSM Forum.
  • Thank you Jerry,
    It’s always great to read you in my threads, hope you and the girls are enjoying the boardwalk.
    More details to come....
  • Thanks for the explanation on the torn seat. Great tutorial and seems so simple to do.
  • Timely build, Karl, as I’ve got this on order with Brett and will follow along with great interest. Nice to be back. Cheers, George
  • edited November 2021
    karl hasn't been around for a couple of weeks. I'm sure we don't have to be worried about him.....
  • Has there been anymore progress on this Karl? Your students are waiting.

Jerry
  • kebmo said:

karl hasn't been around for a couple of weeks. i sure we don't have to be worried about him.....

it's been a month since i posted this. has anybody heard from karl?
  • I'm just sitting back watching and admiring your work on this kit Kev, especially your disconnect, looks great, I love that mini kit.
  • Good to see Karl's comment!
  • Good to see Karl's comment!

Yes it is!!

Jerry

• welcome back!!
  • edited November 2021
    Thanks Kevin, Mike and Jerry, always great to read you all.
    Cleaned up the desk here in the office a little tonight after working on some of Brett's amazing new 3D details for a few evenings, those things are incredible.

So, now I've got enough space to do some 'woodwork'...

Time to get the battens put on, install the windows, and then get to the next page in the manual...

• This is way better for us than watching tv..... :wink: Glad you found joy in doing this again..
  • Robert.G said:

This is way better for us than watching tv..... :wink: Glad you found joy in doing this again..

no kidding

• Robert.G said:

This is way better for us than watching tv..... :wink: Glad you found joy in doing this again..

Extremely well stated Robert, we are all super glad Karl is back at it!

• Well done my friend. I'll be following along as usual!

Jerry
  • I’ve made a habit of reading “old” threads to reacquaint myself with great techniques and I constantly come across names of commenters who no longer appear in “today’s “ threads…I wonder what happened to them…I know several have passed on but for many I ponder where they have gone, lost interest, etc
    Jest thinkin’ out loud
    Terry
  • I've wondered the same thing Terry.
  • I have a friend who use to say.

Railroad modelers they come and they go. But once it's in your blood you'll always be back!!

Jerry
  • Many are likely still following the forum. Would enjoy seeing them back in action as they say...
  • Karl…that is some seriously good looking wood both in the coloring and dilapidation
    Terry
  • Beautiful woodwork. Looks like something you would find on a hike in the backwoods.
  • Excellent woodwork.
  • Fantastic, nasty, grungy, dilapidated, well you get the idea. Love it!
  • Looking good Karl!!
  • Thanks guys, basics done for now, I'm going to leave the actual windows until later.

I guess I'm going to move forward with the details so I can start planning out.
    It looks like all the metal is still in the box.

The resin was primed 10 or so years ago so needs dusting off but appears to mostly be there, a few more still to be located.

I played around with the bates many years ago, I'll likely strip it and completely redo it later in the build

Hopefully some work on these this evening.
  • Fantastic work Karl!!
  • Thanks Chris,
    I found another six of the missing details so, now I think there's only two missing,
    I guess that's enough to get started, so here we go...

• Can't wait to see Karl!!