visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

E&TJRR builds

Comments

• Dang, you really have been making some great progress.
    Thanks so much for posting the pics for me, everything is coming along outstanding. I'm really liking the way this is developing.
    Like Brett, I can't wait to get out there and see it in person, and I know you'll have made much more progress by then.
    Thanks for the update.
  • Very nice
  • Emery, I am about there on the truck repair. How did you light your model? Thanks Randy
  • I started using nginering.com parts, but ended up using their distribution boards and premade lamp sets from evansdesigns.com
    I really wanted to make them myself, but found that I will never finish my layout if I try do every last detail myself. Honestly I destroyed 3 before I moved on.
  • the layout is coming along just fantastic.
  • edited February 2022
    Wise words Emery, delegation is the key to good management and success ... ie: you cant always do everything yourself.
  • any update emery?
  • No sir Kevin. I have just started building my kitchen cabinets. I will be gutting my kitchen and dining room once I get them built. New plumbing, wiring, drywall, vaulting the ceiling, etc. This will keep me busy for quite some time. RR is on hold for a couple months.
    I will keep looking in, but probably not much activity for some time.
    Thanks for the inquiry sir.
  • holy crap, when you're finished do ya wanna come over here for a bit....? :)
  • edited August 2022
    After finishing my kitchen, I had some time the last couple weekends to finish up the river area and bridges.
    Obviously I have not got around to the landscaping yet, but soon I hope.
    Bryan Brown told me when I started this about the cork roadbed. I was unsure how to get all that to work out correctly with the main line. Now I know. The dioramas will now have to be lifted up 3/16" so that it looks better in relation to the spur lines.
    TR7.5
    TR8
    TR9
    TR10
  • looking good! i'm so jealous.....
  • No need to be Kevin. I have seen your modeling, and it is excellent! Without all the ideas and sharing on this forum, I would be lost.
  • Layout is shaping up nicely Emery.
  • Looking good. The weathered track is just right.
  • Have been working on the RR camp office as of late. A few pics as progress has been happening. Some look "cartoonish" on the stone, but it really does look better in person.
    At least I got the phone to stay in focus in the second batch of pics.officeTop
    warehouse1
    warehouse2
    camp1
    camp2

Waiting on some of the lighting components to proceed.
  • Looking good Emery. The second picture of the stone walls looks very good. I like the variation in color. Randy
  • Emery.
    The colors are just as I like to see.......Carl.......
  • Great colouring on the wood siding and variation, also the resin doors are nicely coloured/shaded/highlighted and indistinguishable from wood. Also the dock.
    Hard to comment on the stone colours following your comments but the grey tones look nicely varied.
    Great progress so far looking forward to more.
  • Such nice warm tones on the wood work Emery. Excellent looking build with crisp lines and great fit and finish.
  • Good to wait for the lights to proceed. I can say from experience that it is much more difficult to try to retro-fit lights.
  • lighting can be a conundrum....I've used the Evans Design stuff with the really long leads....doing the same on my water tank kit.....actually going to let the wires show....running beams and walls to junction boxes.....hiding it is difficult...
  • Coloration of the wood is very nice. Like the stone walls also. Well done!
  • Sometimes you can hide the wires in plain sight by using some Plastruct as conduit.
  • Depends on the era you are modeling.....old knob and tube wiring was the norm...exposed wires on ceramic insulators....it's how I'm doing mine in the water tank shed...
  • When the world changed from gas lighting to electrical, especially in industrial situations, the new fangled electrical lighting wires were run inside the existing gas pipe lines as they were already where they needed to be. This is where conduit developed from.
    Probably a little TMI for Emery's current and great situation though.
  • I'm in the middle of retrofitting wiring for lights ion my "Truck Repair" and it is a pain. I'm screwing up a few things along the way, but at this point, it is what it is. I kept trying to get it better, but then I started having parts of the structure fall apart so I just said, "good enough". I'm hiding the wiring inside of .042 "conduit".
  • Emery, the railroad camp looks great. Very interesting building.
  • Outstanding job. The stonework is perfect, just the right compliment to your wood coloration. Cannot wait to see more.
  • Thanks for the support everyone. Hope to get more done this weekend. The missing lighting components arrived from Ngineering last night.
  • I generally have lit every Sierra West kit I've built. One of the things I've used for conduit are the polystyrene tubes from Evergreen. The smallest ones allow for the tiny light wires to snake through them. I paint the polystyrene and then glue it to the model, having first snaked the light wires through it. You can hardly see them. I drill a hole through the floor and then punch them through the foam base so they have to be long enough to do that. The wires then come out the bottom of the model.