visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

E&TJRR builds

Comments

• Thanks everyone. Sorry not showing much modeling yet, but all in good time. Dam job keeps getting in the way of my progress. I did manage to get the first level sub-roadbed in this evening. It needs a couple supports yet. Hopefully this weekend, I can get level 2 and 3 started. This is very addicting.SubRoadBedLvl1
  • That's one of those things the adrenaline gets going. Once you start, you don't want to stop till it's done. "I'm so close!". Great progress....Rick
  • Great looking layout
  • Sub-roadbed almost complete. Right side and far back yet to connect. It is laying there, just have not put the risers in and connected it.SubRoadBed4
  • Emery,

I love it!! What great depth and variety. I hope you left room for the Sierra West kits!!! LOL. Phil
  • I'm jealous. Wish I had the space. Looks great....Rick
  • Phil, this layout was altered to specifically ensure that every kit has a spot.
  • It looks very precise
  • Very nice benchwork and looks like interesting track plan
  • Hey Emery, such nice work you're doing. The last picture shows maybe your work space at the bottom right. How cool is that to have your workshop right there with your layout.
    You may have shown this before?
  • No sir, I have not. It is a train wreck mess!! (pun intended) I would be embarrassed to show it. Once I pick up a few things I will post a picture. Probably with the completed roadbed picture.
    When I designed the room and layout, it was a priority that I had the work bench incorporated. I saw a layout plan somewhere that had one, which gave me the idea.
  • is your track plan on paper, or digital so you could post it? i'd love to see it.
  • edited December 2020
    Kevin,
    I had posted it awhile back. Here is the link. On page 1, you can see the original in 3D. Page 2 has the updated version. A few very small changes have taken place from that one. Is this what you were looking for sir?
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/1178/track-plan-complete/p2

Ken,
    I was wrong. There is a partial picture of the work bench in the link above. I had not installed the backsplashes or lighting yet, but you can see about half of the work area.
    It is an "L" shape, of which you can see one half.
  • thanks. my bad. great looking track plan.
  • This stage is now complete. I took a few different views to show a few different points of view. Ken, here is the desk, and I did not get time to pick up anything. The Truck Repair is scattered all over the place on there.
    Next up is either cork roadbed or starting to put in the wiring bus line. Have not decided yet.
    Wasted an entire day replacing the wifes kitchen sink faucet. Was like having your balls pounded flat with a hammer...... I hate plumbing.

TrackPlanDone1
    TrackPlanDone2
    TrackPlanDone3
    TrackPlanDone4
    TrackPlanDone5
  • Before you put down a cork roadbed think about how you want to track to look. Is it a mainline track? Is it a backwoods track? Is it part of both. If mainline, then cork raised roadbed to look right. If it's backwoods then you may want to have less of a profile and more looking like the guys just threw some ties on the ground. either way will work but you only get 1 chance at this stage.
  • Sweet!...Still thinking how cool that is to have your shop right there with the layout. Can picture working on a project and having a train(s) running at the same time!
  • Track work done. All turnouts wired and work correctly. Track wiring almost complete. Lacking a few drop feeders yet. More wire incoming again. Started the foam underlay.
    The lower level inside the circle (next to the blue pan) is where Blue Sky will go.
    The upper level where the paint can marked "garage" is where The Foundry will go. And right next to it where you see the green tape measure, is for O'Neils.TrackDone
    FoamInstall1
    FoamInstall2
  • Great progress. You definitely took your time to do a quality job of bench and trackwork. That will pay off in reliability over time.....Rick
  • A great accomplishment
  • Wow, great progress. I can't wait to see it in person. Emery and I are "almost" neighbors...
  • wow is right. i'm soooo jealous.
  • Thanks men.
    Stop on down when we get a nice spring day. Sit on the veranda with steaks on the BGE and a fridge full of cold beer......oh, and we can look at the trains too. :smile:
  • OK, just wow.
  • Scored a nice piece of history from my neighbor. He was using for driving big machinery pins. Thanks Lance!!hammer
  • Bragdon rock molds and casting resin arrived yesterday. These are spectacular detail rock forms and scenery detail system. Will be starting this process tomorrow. I can't wait to see some mountains!!
  • Now that you have a new hammer, will you pull up all your track and begin hand laying?
  • Too funny Bryan. I am keeping the hammer to fix any mistakes that pop up. Anyway...
    A bit of progress on the layout finally. I have been experimenting with Bragdons system of hard shell and rocks. It is going quite well. I won't bore ya'll with too much, but here is my first sample attempt at a rock fully painted. I broke it last night by picking it up incorrectly. (top right corner is just sitting there).
    It measures about 12' x 20"
    TestRock
  • Now that's impressive.
  • Looks fantastic!