visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 312 Truck Repair Shop

Comments

• Thanks guys. It will look better grungy as Ken would say.

I'm thinking about how to do the chain drive. The kit comes with a chain that does not look good at all. I picked up some 1:72 photo etched tank treads. I'm thinking about cutting them in half to use as my chain drive. I'll post photos as I go.

Mike, it's an old McKenzie kit that Keith Wiseman now produces. I copied the paint job from a Gordon Birrell build. He scratchbuilt a 1/2" scale model of the same truck which looks much better than mine.
  • Thanks for the reply. I thought it was one of his, as I have built two of the Wiseman kits and both turned out nice. Too bad about the chain drive.

You just did a great job on the whole kit and thanks for posting all of the pictures, I've learned a lot.

Mike S.
  • Holding my tongue until I see the grunge!
  • Bryan,
    Sent you a personal message about drive chains.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Stage 1 of the grungification. Base layer of dirt and grime. I'll be going with a working order truck with minimal rust.

Dave, I love the drive chains but I'm worried they will be too large. A 4x8 cross section will look huge on this model. It's my backup plan for right now. I'm trying to fit the photo etched tank tracks onto the sprockets...I'm using the ones that came with the treads to try to make the best fit possible. Right now the initial glue is drying. I hope to put some tension on this to make it look right once dry. I cut the tracks down so they are about 3 or 4 scale inches width and the thickness is about a scale inch.

The wheels came with rims and O-washers for tires. Interesting. I'm going to try them but if they don't work out I'll use different tires. Seen here I have inserted a pin through the washer. I drilled a divot on the inside of the rim and will put a drop of epoxy to seat the pin. These will serve as anchors for placing on the dio.
    A7A31526-C59A-4C79-A954-3CBE31ED6ED6
    15068302-318F-4083-AEEF-ED03AF9B2477
    63ECBF55-DB0B-479B-BE96-46EA2C1A7700
    EB6238A0-CBE0-4706-8E48-52F548E615B9
  • Alomost grungy enough to comment on!...of course it looks fantastic as I knew it would. The steering wheel and the seat beg for a special call out...so very nicely done!...Ken
  • This is as good as the building itself. Great work Bryan.
  • Bryan.
    You have taken a great looking truck and made a Masterpiece of it neat.
  • Love the detail work. Great weathering on the truck so far.
  • Thanks guys.

It's almost done. Added a few touches of rust and these photos show me just a couple more areas to work on. Gave the toolbox the SW treatment.

119C9B60-8A14-46C0-90A0-2A3952F7C467
    C9DD016B-C071-4639-A4B7-9051BB8FB4C6
    E7E38571-D29B-46B6-8D4A-B9151D8FF7BA
    EF4ACF9A-D3D5-4C79-B562-C31426C4F648
  • Fantastic truck Bryan. A great finishing touch for the scene.
  • Very impressive. You did a fantastic job on that truck.
  • Very nice job. Your drive chain came out great! I see some real nice grease and oil stains around the engine too. The weathering treatment on the fender just looks so natural. Outstanding model and diorama.

Mike S.
  • Great weathering on that truck. A real good eye for details.
  • that really looks outstanding. could be a real truck it looks so real. i really like the treatment on the seat. it almost looks like stuffing is coming out.
    bryan, you've got a great eye.
  • Truck looks terrific.
  • Thanks everyone. It was a fun kit that I had been wanting to build for years.

Left on the checklist:

Groundwork/scenery
    Peeps
    Something being worked on inside the garage
    Power the lights
  • The truck is such an incredible addition to the diorama. Superb modeling and storytelling.
  • Thanks Brett. I've been wanting to build this truck for years. This shop gave me the perfect excuse.
  • Absolutely unbelievable. Structure, details, and truck are so perfect Bryan. What a wonderful build. Really enjoyable to see.

Geezerbill
  • any progress?
  • Thanks Ed and Bill.

Kevin, funny you would ask that question. The wrecker is in its final resting place. I leaned a handtruck up against it to hide an area of the chain that was bothering me. The peeps have been primed and are ready to paint. The tractor under repair is assembled and waiting to be primed. Scenery has not come out yet.

F46586FC-CC45-485D-8B62-F6067822628F
    3907E881-16E9-4912-A185-38FA58165CF4
    4017FADB-EBBC-47B5-B262-D43AB5724F17
    FD8F1B16-2D19-4FC4-8AF6-166BFC5A309F
  • Scenery has not come out yet.

have you tried watering it?

sorry, sometimes i just can't help myself....
  • Bryan,

Is the tractor under repair a separate kit or an assembly of goodies from your spare parts box from other kits?

I am hunting around to see if I can find an O-Scale truck or tractor engine block with appropriate accouterments for a special model I have in mind. Any suggestions for sources are appreciated.

Later Dave S.
  • edited February 2020
    Dave...maybe take a look at wisemanmodelservices.com
    Terry
  • Kevin, should I fertilize also?

Dave, the tractor is another McKenzie kit and was not included. Terry is right that Wiseman has a tractor engine block. I had one of those kits on hand also and used the detail parts in it to super detail the block that Brett included in this kit. The SW block is a much cleaner casting so I used it as the base.

I'm doing the tractor like the one Karl A did which was his attempt to replicate Chuck Doan's tractor...which is the kit I have. I'll do my best with it. I think it will look great in the service bay.

Speaking of Karl, is he in witness protection or something?
  • Terry, Bryan and Eric
    Thanks for your responses regarding the engine block.

Bryan,
    I looked more carefully at the engine block included in Brett's Truck Repair Shop and it is indeed a very nice casting. I think it will be my choice for my truck as long as I can make it fit.

Terry and Eric,
    I spent quite a bit of time this evening looking through the Wiseman site but found no engine block castings. I also tried a Google search and came up blank. So it looks like the nice engine block casting in Brett's kit will be my choice if I can make it work in the model truck I'm hoping to build.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • i'd advise against the fertilizer. dio might stink.....
  • Kevin, I have a gag planned for "fertilizer" that goes along with the "beware of dog" sign. I'll get 2 jokes out of 1 sign. Ha! What fun.