visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 312 Truck Repair Shop

Comments

• Thanks TomK. Is there a particular casting that you are looking at? There may be something I did to the one you are interested in.

I outlined my process on the wood castings on page 1 and metal castings on page 2.

As far as paints, I used the SW acrylic set along with other Vallejo acrylics that I had on hand. The enamels are AK Interactive and Ammo by MIG. Usually get those from Scale Hobbyist.

Tom Mich, I started thinning today and adding details around. I'll take a pic and post later.
  • Here's a couple of progress photos. Scenes are definitely not done. These shots give me a good look at any small things that need to be touched up...probably take off 1 more branch at the top of the vine. Couple of blue signs need to be toned down. #3 is a bit crooked. Etc...

If anything looks out of place, chime in.

F2FA92BC-41A6-4DF3-AD4B-AA23B3E52569
    F5DCEB5E-5608-4FFC-8069-5B5831FB5FE3
    CC13928C-0DE4-4662-9D22-0D4ACF864BD6
    4F90F8BC-2992-40F7-9A53-94FA38BAA1F2
    C0F274A8-FB89-4A0E-B0C8-B8F364277826
    69ED8CC7-B7DE-43DD-907C-04CB4A92C4CB
    B73EA9B1-DCE7-475E-A350-6A8C2777DCEC
    217AE30F-C2A2-4896-AEFA-8ACC7309A298
  • The vine looks great! I wouldn't trim anymore. Now the details can be seen behind the vine. Nothing is obscured. The details looks really great.
  • Bryan. Everything is spot on nice job.
  • edited January 2020
    that's another fine model. detail placement is excellent. i think i'm gonna have to bookmark this thread for when i get to mine.
    the oil tank with pump looks like you stole it from chuck doan. how'd you do it?
  • Thanks Tom and Carl and Kevin.

The lubester came from my parts bin and is not included in the kit. I thought it would be fun to put it next to the home made lubester. This is the 2nd time I have tried the same effect on a similar piece and there is still room for improvement.

Paint color of your choice. I added the logos from the labels included in the kit that I copied onto tissue paper. Use a sponge bit to add rust spots on corners to taste. Brush on a wash of enamel gray, I used "engine grime". Let sit for 1/2 hour or so then lightly dampen brush in spirits and gently brush top to bottom. Let dry overnight. Add some more engine grime and/or a darker gray on top where oil might have accumulated. Let dry overnight. Brush some very small lines top to bottom with a brownish/redish enamel, I used "streaking grime". Let sit 1/2 hour. Dampen brush in spirits and gently brush top to bottom trying to be as straight as possible.

Here is what I would try to improve for the next time:
    1) The streaks are too pronounced. I wanted grime and they look a bit like rust in the picture. I can still lighten them up with some spirits even though it has been dried for several days now.
    2) I would use some kind of aid to ensure the streaks were straighter.
    3) I would have spent more time leveling the pump thing on top.
  • Fantastic. You should be proud of this build.
  • Brian,
    I think the oil bunker is killer, as is the drum next to it. Those are the first things I noticed when viewing the scenes. You created a similar effect on the cabinet on the side of the structure with outstanding results. The signs are so well done also. I like adding signs as they are easy details that help tell the story of the scene. Even the paint ring on the pallet is a subtle detail that adds so much. Each time I go back to look at the pics I see something new, like the white wall tire under the porch. A real pleasure to view this dio.
  • Thanks fellas. Tom you are right. The signs are such great details. I didn't want to overdo it but I had seen many pictures of old service stations with walls just covered in signs so that is what I was trying to accomplish.

I added this fun little detail to the water spigot. I spruced up the engine block with an exhaust manifold, sparkplug wires, etc. It's drying now and soon to be installed. I think its about time to start work on the tow truck and tractor.

I'm also looking for the right inhabitants for this diorama. I have a few selected and a pair of funny additions for the "beware of dog" joke.

A8F0EE11-3AE5-4254-899B-9E1BCD6A5490
  • wurm syrup? what the hell is that?
    very cool detail. i love the spigot.
  • Yes Kevin, Wurm Syrup, right from the spigot!
  • Fun times right there.

Engine block and what I believe is a transmission.

FFECC1F9-22FC-4B77-A006-595C88ECDB21
    F4253342-FEC7-4612-A2BB-4D53D82F678C
  • Just keeps getting better and better
    Terry
  • It's all in the details! Well done.
  • Thanks guys.

Tow truck under construction.
    BFE542AD-1BFD-4134-8531-A5885FBD1BD5
    A7C3D01A-3F6C-4498-86DE-CE1B2BE5DFC6
  • Detailing is wonderful Bryan!
  • Thanks Brett.

The truck is coming along. I put the subassemblies together and did a trial placement and I'll be going with the front of the truck going left. Next up is painting then the assemblies can be glued together.6C649392-52C5-468F-890B-DFD102BB3F17
    7974A581-6306-4372-9523-F541FB4DDB8D
  • edited February 2020
    wurm syrup? what the hell is that?
    very cool detail. i love the spigot.

i know i posted this a few days ago, but for some reason it's "stuck" in my dialog box and i can't delete it. i figure the only way to clear it is to post it.
  • Is that a Toppins truck?
  • A Toppins truck indeed.
  • Perfection, fits the scene so well!
  • Great detailing. Really like the abundance of signs on the exterior. Something else to file away for future use.
  • Nice!...You O scale folks get all the fun stuff!...gee wiz...
  • Thanks guys. Ken, there is always room on the dark side if you want to play with the fun stuff.
  • Ouch! Tissue!...nose bleed!
  • No fighting.

Got a color scheme for the truck. Now to start weathering.
    49BA7FA3-6FA5-486F-A1C0-8030C814D53B
  • That is a real neat truck nice job.
  • Very nice job on the truck. I like the paint scheme too.

May I ask who's kit that truck is from?

Mike S.
  • that really looks great.
  • That is a neat looking truck