visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 312 Truck Repair Shop

Comments

• I hate technology problems. I regret updating to the new OS. I had to load uncropped photos so they are now in this order as described above: 1, 3, 4, 5, 2
  • #5 for me Bryan.
  • yeah, i agree with carl.
  • Did you here that Keven agree's with me WOW I am going to have a great weekend
  • Thank you.

It will be a great weekend!
  • If I were doing it, which I'm not!...so grain of salt kinda thing, I would view the structure as the focus of my diorama. A vehicle out front draws your attention there and not to the building. Having the vehicle in the bay or behind but visible draws the viewer to the structure and then beyond and to me provides more interest. I also dislike angled structures to the base they are on. My attention is drawn to angle of orietation and is distracting to me...
  • Thanks Ken. I blame Stephen Drees for making me like angled buildings. His diorama placement is always pleasing.

My initial thought was #5 as Carl and Kevin both picked. As I started playing around with the placement I started enjoying the look of the not-angled approach. Hence the poll. Thank you for participating. I'll put you down for a solid #1 with the wrecker on either side of the back of the diorama.
  • Hey Bryan, thanks for the compliment but the only diorama where I might have some angled buildings is on my Shelby's Marina and then the angle is very slight. Other than that, my buildings are square to the base. I also was going to say I liked No. 5 the best.I also agree with Ken about the placement of the vehicle. Look at my tractor repair diorama.
  • Stephen, I loved your Shelby's. I thought for sure you were the one who put a couple of structures at an angle.
  • I guess it depends on the final placement of the diorama. Is it going into a layout or be free standing? If it's going into a layout square placement to the base might be easier to install. I agree the truck out front does detract from the structure. Personally I think a vehicle in the bay would be more interesting than one partially peeking through the opening.
  • edited January 2020
    Thank Tom. It will be a free standing diorama.

I decided on placement #1...no angle with structure up front. It was just too long and skinny for angled placement.

I took a couple of progress shots. Nice to see it shaping up with just the initial placement of interior details. The last pic shows how I hid all the wires running down the wall with a piece of scrapwood. Also notice the running water. A fun touch.

7C8DBD28-EEE3-43E4-95FE-94378BA389B1
    BA1BF28F-7CA2-4F20-8758-1F1CD3CC6A06
    A6D1FE10-714F-4D15-B728-52EC34DAAA7E
    314E7E89-C04E-4EB4-A14B-D8A40C535B21
    3255B848-569A-490D-A087-8C3577F541CF
    1AA65AF3-7A6C-4852-91BE-95D576C68EEE
    FCDE9705-65B4-4261-8A2D-6ABAF742D574
  • Tom I do plan on having something in the bay just not as big as a truck. Probably a Fordson tractor or a motorcycle. But finding a decent motorcycle is not easy.
  • Nice finish on the details, love the water spigot.
  • Great job on a castings and there placement. Overall just a fantastic job.
  • Can't say more . Great job !!!
  • Wow Bryan, I would expect nothing less from you but still wow! Hall of Fame.
  • Beautiful build.
  • Bryan,

My 2 cents worth about the positioning of the structure in your diorama box.
    Just as Carl and Kevin have indicated, I like view #5 best as well. It gives an opportunity to see some of the fine interior detail that might otherwise disappear or be dominated by the exterior of the structure. Perhaps once the lighting has been activated and the roof is on that view will be the $$$ view because that is where the action would be, inside the structure.
    I like vehicles in a scene as well, and I think they often tell a major part of the story, sometimes more so than static figures. I didn't have that opinion until I began to see and study more and more modeling by Tom Johnson along with his rationale for including vehicles and no figures in his town scenes.
    Maybe in the case of this diorama all bets would be off regarding figures if the wrecker was delivering another vehicle for service. But I think that would change the location of the action from the interior to the exterior while defining a purpose for the shop.

My personal preference is also for NGineering prewired LED's.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Bryan,

Please excuse my late entry above. I posted this earlier this morning after some editing late last night and before I had read that you had made your final decision.

As always I have learned from your exquisite modeling efforts Final photos are awesome. Looking forward to seeing the fished project.

Sorry, Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Wow Bryan! Love the interior pics. Really like the color and texture or your wood and assortment and placement of details. The water spigot is a nice addition.
  • Great work Bryan it's all coming together really well.
  • Outstanding work Bryon!
  • Thanks all.

Wow Brett. That puts a lot of pressure on for the rest of the build.

Dave, I was very close to glueing it down angled but it just didn't look right in person. I hope the wrecker turns out the way I want. I really think it will look good. And of course, there will be LP. I love populating my dios.

Tom, the interior shots are what drew me to SW kits in the first place and to O scale. It starts with great castings then just follow the instructions and you end up with a great looking scene. And I need to get a few more of those water spigots. I like the way it looks also. I know the flared end is supposed to go up against the wall but I liked the idea of the exposed pipe.

FYI: there is a small piece of "screen" in this kit that looks like wedding vail material. Do you know how hard it is to find this when you set it down and forget where you put it? I can tell you it is very hard to find unpainted, and equally hard to find once painted. You would think I would have learned.
  • Now that you have found it where did you put it?
  • the nagging question....
  • i just wish i didn't lose so much time lookin for stuff....
  • I like the angle concept....life is never squared off at 90 degrees....totally agree....keep the large vehicle in the back...not the prime interest....and yes...have something in the bay being worked on.....how about an engine block on a stand with parts scattered around......
  • Carl, I stuck a toothpick through the corner of it and stuck it in some foam with the frame that it will go into.
  • Old age maybe...