visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 312 Truck Repair Shop

Comments

• Old age is likely.

I finally got to work on the roof. I made some modifications. I went ahead and used stripwood to replace the cardboard roof and ended up painting the corrugated roof. I felt like there was just too much brown and rust blended together. I used a chipping technique to paint it green then remove as if the rust was bubbling from beneath. there's a closeup so you can see the details of the effect.

I ended up putting the gas pump in the back because I was not happy with the results I got on my build. Also used some strip styrene to cover the seam on the wall sign.

D00899B8-A776-48AB-B4BD-86CCC729391B
    54B4EE00-E743-4E77-BEB9-76071088ABF3
    3AFC1460-A0BE-45BE-88DE-769EB6B8BC01
    C1EF4065-85F4-4ECD-80FD-D351BD30916C
    2BB8A521-10F4-42E8-AFCB-A581D72200F5
    E903A575-CE1F-4AD6-A966-8C2984D44BA6
  • i REALLY like the roof. oustanding.
  • Roof is spectacular
    Terry
  • The peeling paint on the roof is great...I was drawn immediately to the killer tar paper roof...love that, and contrast nicely with the corrugated.
  • Thanks guys.

Tarpaper is a lesson I learned from Robert G. I love the sharing that goes on here.
  • I was wondering why you painted the roof green? I have never seen that in real life when you first see it Copper comes to mind. same with the outside light.....just asking
  • Very well succeeded this roof !!!! Good looking worn tarpaper Bryan. :wink:
  • Craig, that is a good question. The short answer on the green roof is this. I did not like the results I got on my bare metal rusted roof. It looked overdone to me and the color of the roof blended into the color of the wall. I needed options to re-do it. I considered lighter rust, more metal/less rust, and painting. I chose green because I wanted an earth-tone color that would not draw too much attention.

The longer answer is this. There is a stretch of road west of me that has a lot of peanut and cotton farms. There are many buildings with green metal roofs. Though most of them are ribbed and not corrugated. For a long time I wanted to try to model one of the rusty green roofs. Tried it on the shed for Blue Sky and got a shiny finish. Tried it on the metal shack in O'Neills and liked the results. So...

To get the finish I painted gray. Slightly darker than usual then followed this with a light gray wash. I was going for gray showing around the rust on each panel and wanted some depth to the coloring. I painted my main rust areas with a textured rust paint and blended the edges best I could. Followed this up with enamel wash of dark rust with spots of light rust and dark gray. Once dried the individual panels looked OK. Once installed on the roof my response was MEH! I painted on a coat of heavy weather effects and mixed some in with my paint and painted the roof green. After it dried I scrubbed off about 1/2 of the green and followed with a light brushing of enamel dark rust.

I've always considered color to be a personal taste. I like the rusted roof on Brett's pilot and on Joel's build. Just didn't like it on mine.
  • I absolutely love the painted corrugated roof and will most definitely be "borrowing" this for a future kit... Beautiful Bryan...
  • Awesome Brett. I can do a more detailed sbs if you like.

Let the planting begin. Here we have the basic structure of our "vine that ate the south "Pueraria montana var. Carl Laskyi". The vine stem is roots from a juniper. I wrapped them around the post where it will grow and spread out the "branches". I'll trim it up as I start detailing around this area. Last step will be to add some foliage.

2E88058D-E2C1-4E62-9C68-78AC230128FB

D4A6820F-50D7-4696-B1CF-5B88114AC745

82CF7E94-DEAA-41E2-8A3D-FFFF9E603453
  • Great Bryan !!!
  • Love the vine.
  • brownbr, Thanks for your answer on your roof and why you came up with the color.....and I like your choice on vines I have a whole big Box of the same I had for years just haven't used any yet.
  • Really nice Brian. great roof and the vine is amazing.
  • The vine really adds interest. Really like the way you have it growing on the fence railing
  • Vine is wonderful Bryan, extremely natural. Great way to break up the vertical lines without being distracting.

A sbs would be awesome.
  • You are obviously not done with the vine, which looks great. As is...it seems the top would not normally be elevated like that without hugging something. Up and spread out over the roof might work. You mentioned trimming it so ignore as you see fit...lol Just my take and I’m no Botanist that’s for sure!
  • Brett, I'll knock that out soon.

Ken, spreading over roof is a good idea. Just not sure how much of the roof I want to cover and how "bushy" I want it to be.

For another option, I was perusing online pics for "vine covered shacks" and have found some interesting ones that support the idea of letting the vines reach for the sky...trimmed of course. This photo was from an uncited Pinterest post and its kind of pixeled but it shows a nice silhouette of bare vines (probably trumpet vine) reaching a good 4 feet above the roof line.

I have some time to mull this over as I am now starting to add the details onto the base. I'll see what grows on me (;

AA71110E-D708-4E5B-A2CF-87C704A60A21
  • Stop posting pictures of my house. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Ha.
  • what are you talking about carl? that's my house....
  • Geesh!...that's crazy. I like grungy but that's over the top...get it...
  • To much of the vine will take away from your great build.
  • [groan]....
  • But Ken, it has the rotted, missing siding with the exposed wall studs!
  • I agree Stephen. Right now I'm leaning towards thinning out as I would a bonsai, looking for taper from the trunk to the fine branches. Then leave vine bare, or perhaps with a few dried leaves glued on. Kind of like a fall/winter look. This should give a nice armature of the vine look without obstructing the structure with a bunch of foliage.

Tom, I agree. Looks like something Ken would build.
  • That sounds like it should work very well
  • I think thinning the vine would work. It looks a little too full of branches, mostly on the fence rail. I think the branches on the post and roof are really spot on. Leaving it bare will also enhance branch structure. And a few dead leaves would be really great!
  • edited January 2020
    Bryan,

I loved the way you did your casting. Would you mind sharing which washes/filters you used? Did you order them through Amazon?

Thanks
    TomK