visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Most Ambitious Build so far...The O Scale Sawmill..

Comments

• The large headers are in place. I used small clamps to hold them together whilst drying.
    Reversed cloths pins for the smaller pieces.

The belts for the double husk and the live rolls are , as per manual, placed aswel. Later there will be no room for this.

The track behind the sawmill is of my layout in 1/43,5. Nothing to do with the sawmill, but this was the only spare place left to place the sawmill under the lights of that layout.

DSCN3826

DSCN3829

• Very much enjoying following along on this build....well done Robert
    Terry
  • amazing job on an amazing kit.
  • Robert.
    You are the master of kit building great work. ................Carl.............
  • You know Carl, when I first looked at this kit and the elaborate manual ( more than 120 pages) I thought, This is far beyond my league. But once you dive into it, read the manual very carefully, and again and again until you get it, you just start building and step by step you work your way through this fantastic kit.

And when it will be build, I will say, that wasn't so hard to do. ( I hope... :smiley: ) You are well guided and in doubt, ask the Man himself.... :wink:

Anyways, thanks for all the support guys.
    Return to the bench now.. Soon more pics.
  • Coming together so well Robert!
  • Now begins the most serious part so far . ( for me that is )

The shaft installation. Everything has to line up perfectly so I first lay them all (almost all) out on the headers to get an idea where everything goes. ( that is underneath the headers)

Even with a strict following of the templates and plans, there is always a small difference between plans and reality. Nothing to worry about, but hence the try out before the glue out... :wink:

Here are the shaft lines , not blackened yet, with the pillow blocks and the second are the wheels and gears that will come on them when they will be glued.
    Tomorrow, I'll do the dry set up with the cloths pins and then epoxy everything.

DSCN3853

DSCN3854

Now a comic strip ( like every night) and then sleep... :wink:
  • Very nice job Robert!
  • As I wanted to leave the shafts to dry and also to take some distance of it all, I decided to start on the Maintenance Shed walls . At this stage, it's perfectly possible. Just do something else for a moment. The shaft installation requires a lot of concentration.

So here is the front wall with the sliding door.

I wanted to bring in some color between all of the bare wood inside the mill, so I did. I also repaired the door because it was falling apart on the bottom. No respect from those young punks .. :wink:

Although I am certain Brett did extensive research on the subject, and the details are prototypically correct, I personally find the hangers a bit to big now I see them when they are mounted on the door.

Anyways, here it is.

DSCN3855

DSCN3857

soon more. It's not over till it's over.... :smiley:

• Astounding work as always. Thanks for sharing.
  • that wall looks really great!
  • Just the best! Really love this. I might copy it in green.
  • Your weathering is just fantastic Robert! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Eric, do you have the Sawmill kit to copy in green ? Would look great. Green was my first choice, but had none at hand, so it became dark yellow..
  • Excellent wood coloring. Painting vs using chalks really makes the knots stand out.
  • What seemed to me the most complicated part of this build is done. And wasn't so complicated after all. The tangle of belts, myriad of wheels, shafts and so on would overawe anybody that didn't know the SW bible. The very elaborate and comprehensive manual.

So I survived this part aswel... :wink:
    Here are some pics of where I am now. The light isn't that good because they are taken under the very bright work lights.... But you get the ..euh picture..

DSCN3858

DSCN3859

DSCN3860

DSCN3861

DSCN3862

:wink:
  • Robert, you just keep amazing me!
  • This is the retaining wall in front of the sawdust bin. Take a good look at it now because once installed, very little will be seen. ( as with many parts...) The lower part will be embedded in sawdust, bark and other ground coverings that surround this bin.

DSCN3864

DSCN3865

This build is quiet addictive, so be warned! .... :smile:

• Having built this kit, you are correct, on it being addictive. You are also doing an outstanding job with it. The wood weathering techniques you are using are really outstanding.

I'm looking forward to your roof. Please try to make it removable. Maybe just part of it at least. I'm sorry I did not do this on mine.

Mike S.
  • Robert, what are we going to do with you? The leather belts KILL me! Everything is simply SO SO SO DAMN good.
  • Really, the finest belts I've ever seen. It is IMPOSSIBLE to believe every pully does not turn.
  • Leather is amongst my preferred materials.. As is wood and ivory....( sorry Gaia)

And Eric, sit back, relax and enjoy the show... :wink:

And yes, the roof WILL be removable. I did this already with my previous build. The Logging & Tractor Repair Shed. There is to much beauty in these kits to hide half of it.
  • And thanks for the support. On such a very extensive build, one can use this from time to time.... :blush:
  • I did not make the roof on my tractor shed removable either. Dumb! I did just build another one. I made it 10% larger, than the original kit. That roof is removable. I think it looks a little bit better, at that size, with the truck repair building for a scene that I'm planning.

Brett did a great job designing that roof to be removable.

Mike S.
  • Outstanding work Robert! Really enjoying following your build. Thanks for sharing.
  • I think the strangers who follow our modeling might not realize how important a little response is. I gets very lonely otherwise. Just a "nice" can mean a lot.
  • Mike S. When will you be posting some pictures of your modeling?
  • Are the belts really leather? HOW! So thin!
  • edited September 2019
    No, the provided Tyvec sheet. If you really would like to use leather, take parchment.
  • Before it gets to hard to take these views because a lot of stuff will be placed everywhere , I took them now so you can see what's cookin' :wink: I had to dig in the camera to take them...
    Sometimes, there is to much light, ( I explained that before) but I can't go and drag this build down the stairs , go outside and take a few pics every time I added something.
    It's getting to fragile.
    So , voila....( that's French... :smile:)

DSCN3866

DSCN3868

DSCN3869

DSCN3870

DSCN3871

DSCN3873

DSCN3875

DSCN3874

And we keep on keepin' on..