visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Most Ambitious Build so far...The O Scale Sawmill..

Comments

• Stunning, I love the wood detail. 2 knot holes but so realistic. Beautiful!
  • You sure are taking this to another level. Beautiful detail work!!

Jerry
  • Very....very nice....
  • When I posted the last photo, I realised there was something missing on the bin floor. It looked like this floor was floating. Nothing for it to rest upon. So I added these joists. Looks much better I think. I still have to add a nbw here and there.

Also an opportunity to get a view from underneath.

DSCN3742

DSCN3743

DSCN3744

• Those are the first "knots" that actually look like knots as opposed to a toothpick. How did you do it? This is a small masterpiece!
  • Great work Robert! The rusted door is outstanding! The rest of the bin is awesome too!
  • A small update for a lot of work done. As you can see, the edge near the track line isn't straight because of the future placement in a larger diorama. But that's for later.

Before putting the scenery layer, I cut in cardboard the boiler and mill engine bases instead of placing the real two. A matter of not damaging them while messing with sprayed water, throwing sand, bark and stuff all over the place and on top the thinned white glue.

I also used lead weights to hold everything down whilst drying. And when I ran out of lead, a heavy hammer worked aswel.

Where the piers didn't touch the base, I put some extra scenery material with glue to fill the tiny gaps. Had to be cool according the manual. So I was....

So , for now I will let it dry overnight and keep on reading the manual. I believe I read that book more than a priest reads his bible... :smiley:

Soon more goodies...

DSCN3753

DSCN3755

DSCN3756

:wink:

• Amazing! Funny how I never read the manual unless I absolutely must.
  • edited July 2019
    I just love this part of the build Robert. The sub-floor is so cool, it seems a shame to cover it up but hey, the bits on top are even cooler! Thanks for the update, wonderful progress. Can't wait to see more!
  • Beautiful and precise work. Very impressive. Taking notes, even if I can't achieve it, it gives me something to shoot for.
  • Such beautiful work Robert. Your're putting together a stellar piece here my friend.
  • i'm always in awe of your modeling. this is just one more reason why....
  • Thanks guys. But you all know where it begins with don't you... A superb kit !!!

Joel, don't be so modest, when I see what you do with the Truck Repair, I take notes too.

The same goes for you Kebmo, your latest build is one I follow with great pleasure.
  • Nice. The drystack wall in the background would look good in a model somewhere.
  • Next 'chapter' . The log stop with wooden base.

Of course I read the manual...a zillion times, but here I decided to assemble the installation, mount it on the long shaft and marked where it was positioned on the wooden base. Took it back off , patinated the whole and then glued it on the base.

DSCN3759

DSCN3761

( Ed, hope you've enjoyed the concert.. :wink: )
  • Running out of superlatives here Robert. Stunning work.
  • Your details are above and beyond from the treatment of the wood and your castings
  • Robert,

Great artistic touch on blending the rust into the oily finish on the cylinder. Very natural looking.
    (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/821/VI8BE2IWSHBI.jpg)

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Terrific execution on those cylinders, Robert. There’s a real sense that they’ve been in service a long time and the seals are leaking.
    The detail on the casting is really amazing (look at the bolt heads and seams on the ends!). The only downside: no matter how/where you position it, you KNOW you’re inadvertently hiding something really good!
  • Best old timbers I've ever seen. Even as a writer I'm running out of words!
  • Thanks people. Next will be the floor. Just give me a moment...or rather, lots of moments. It is a great surface. Should be great fun aswel... :smiley:
  • a few more... working on the floor.

DSCN3758

DSCN3766

• You've reached a height of modeling I'm not sure can be rivaled.
  • i concur.....
  • Simply AWESOME!
  • I've said this before....."Look's more real....than real does...."
  • wow.

and wow
  • When I am looking at posts made by Robert, I am always not sure whether I am looking at 1:1 or a 1:48
  • edited July 2019
    Robert,

Since you made us aware of how to model growth rings, checks and splits on the ends of large beams in your build on some of the component parts of this structure, I have begun to look for them in other structure models as well. For me it has become a signature mark of attention to fine details.
    (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/926/EAAXK75547QM.jpg)

These last photos included above with your cylinder show your growth ring markings at the end of the timbers very well as well as the checks and splits in the lumber seasoning/drying out.
    Now I am practicing on some scale 12" X 12" timbers to try to get down the growth ring effect you have shown us.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ