visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Most Ambitious Build so far...The O Scale Sawmill..

Comments

• Beautiful work as always Robert!
  • Now I have a template to go by for my own sawmill. Your work is a bit beyond everything else I've seen. It has that extra something that elevates it to art. I'm going to curate a show at one of my galleries I show at of model photos. Perhaps you would be willing to be one of four modeling artists I am choosing. You probably wouldn't make more than 10k in sales, but it would be a first in the art world. Think about it, Robert. No hurry!
  • Never stop to amaze me. Thanks so much for taking the time.
  • Beautifully done!
  • Now let's get serious....The Edger

DSCN3564

DSCN3565

DSCN3566

DSCN3567

DSCN3569

DSCN3571

DSCN3572

DSCN3573

DSCN3574

DSCN3575

DSCN3576

DSCN3577

DSCN3580

DSCN3581

DSCN3582

DSCN3583

thanks for watching, soon more great stuff... :wink:

• Robert. Very nice work so far. ........Carl.............
  • the colors for the edger are just outstanding
  • Robert,

I have a stack of mesquite that I plan to use for some furniture projects. Would you run it through that edger for me so I can have a nice true and straight edge to square off of.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ The Heart of the Sonoran Desert
  • Outstanding!
  • The coloring on the machinery is spot on along with the wood coloring.

Frank
  • A work of art Robert. Beautiful!
  • Excellent. Have you thought about how you would like to add accumulated sawdust?
  • Not yet Bryan, I'll do so when all the machinery is set up and I have a better idea of the workflow in he sawmill.

I also need to figure out the best way to depict the actual sawdust. It will have to be VERY fine, more like sanding powder from a belt sander or similar. Real sawdust, even sifted is way too big in 1/48.
    But there are several alternatives. Like some kitchen spices, pepper, etc. But that's for later...

Anyways, thanks all of you for the nice comments.

I am sure there are several sawmill kits out there that are being build, so show your work guys... :smiley:
  • Sawdust.....now that you mention it....how about a pile of wood colored chalk dust....held together with a drop of white glue...then some more sprinkled on top as it sets up......have done this with rust texture.....headed to the shop to give it a try...
  • i've been saving the "sawdust" from my board texturing. I have about a third of a cup of it and it appears to be fine enough for an O scale saw mill.
  • kebmo said:

i've been saving the "sawdust" from my board texturing. I have about a third of a cup of it and it appears to be fine enough for an O scale saw mill.

works great!

• The first thing I notice, other than the routine fabulous detail work by Robert, is the wood finish. Gives me the impression of old aged, well worn, oil stained, rock hard, oak timbers that give the sense of operational use and so perfectly done.
  • More great work and photos from Robert to inspire us for us to devour.

I think Ken has "hit the proverbial nail on the head" with his description of how Robert has aged and oil stained the large oak timbers.
    "... give the impression of old aged, well worn, oil stained, rock hard, oak timbers that give the sense of operational use and so perfectly done.

As Kevin has suggested, I not only save the fine dust and particles that result from adding grain to age siding but also have a jar of sawdust from my belt sander and orbital sander dust bags.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Ken, that's exactly what I was aiming at. You've noticed and described this spot on ! Many thanks.
  • Ken is the HO god. Robert is the O-scale god.
  • edited May 2019
    Well, let's be modest, we just try to make the best of it, get the most out of these wonderful kits..

Anyways, next in line, The Double Cylinder Mill Engine.

Man, what a fantastic machine this is.. I'd like to build it all over knowing what I do now after building this one. One thing is certain: small white metal castings are SOOOO fragile.. Broke off several ones on the governor and others... The leather belt will be more tightened when the rest of the tubing comes in place. I tried it now but broke the small pulley ( again)

25 kopie

26 kopie

27 kopie

28 kopie

29 kopie

30 kopie

to be continued..... of course :wink:

• Robert. So well done I do not have a word other than, Outstanding. ......Carl........
  • one more, forgotten.....

DSCN3591

• excellent work as always. Thanks for posting.
  • Awesome!
  • Gee wiz Robert, I just get done ogling one fantastic piece and you are already posting another! Striking concrete work Robert!...and what an incredible casting to start with. How Brett is able to achieve such a beautiful casting of concrete in that size is amazing. your weathering here is superb with the aged yellowish/green base color and then the perfectly blended rust stains and oil...such a pleasure to see this quality of modeling.
  • Excellent!
  • What can I say Robert Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wow....i'm awestruck.