visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

Comments

• I plan on having a small wooded area in the back corner. Room enough for 2-3 decent sized trees and a bunch of saplings, bushes, etc. The first tree is done. Wire frame covered with modeling paste then ground leaves for texture. Painted and flocked. This tree stands 10" tall. The trunk is 5/8" at the ground and 3/8" winding up to the branches.

The other trees are in various states of completion right now. I'll post more on the construction process soon.
    IMG_0975
    IMG_0977
    IMG_0978
    IMG_0979
  • Amazing!
  • Great job
  • trees look awesome!
  • edited April 2023
    Thanks guys.

I made these with 26g floral wire like you get at the hobby store. I put 2 screws about 24" apart and start unwinding it so I now have a big loop 24" across. Cut the loop in half and each half is a tree.

After you get the basic wire frame done, check the silhouette. I didn't like the height of this one so I cut the top 2 branches off. They are now small trees or can be added back to this tree lower on the trunk.

Once the shape is right, start bending the branches in place. I use some very small plyers to get lots of bends in each branch...don't want a long straight branch.

Edit: top pic is the cut tree.

IMG_0981
    IMG_0980
  • Last post on trees for now:

How to take 3 wires and make 15 branch tips...

Start with 3 wires:
    IMG_0982

Bend the long single wire back on the branch and put 6-10 twists in it to create a loop. Leave some extra at the branch end and wrap it around the branch 2-3 times, wrapping towards the trunk. Cut the loop as seen here.

IMG_0983

Bend the long side of the cut loop back on to the twists made earlier. Leave a bit at the end. Twist another loop and twist the 2 loose ends together. Cut the loop.

IMG_0984

Take the 2 remaining strands and repeat the process above. You will have 2 loops, and 2 loose ends. Cut loops, repeat, cut loops. You have 15 branch tips.

IMG_0985
    IMG_0986
  • Nice work !
  • edited April 2023
    I have 5 spools of the wire sitting there.....waiting.......but then again.... I have a lot of stuff just sitting there...waiting....I need to try this too.....Thanks for sharing the technique....
  • A person could make a lot of money with this “side hustle”…
  • Selfmade wire trees look so much more realistic. Keep on doing your good work.
  • bryan,
    what is modeling paste exactly?
  • edited April 2023
    Modeling paste is a gooey concoction that retains some flexibility when dry. I've tried it and fiber paste. The fiber paste is easy to apply on the trunk but the modeling paste dilutes easier with water for getting the smaller branches. If I only had 1, it would be the modeling paste. the goal with this stuff is to add some heft to the trunk and hide the twists.

Once the paste is applied, I add fine branch tips. I cut pieces off a natural rope about 1/8" long, put glue on the branch tips and sprinkled the pieces on. Then brushed glue on the entire tree for the bark texture which is dried leaves run through a coffee grinder. Take time to cover any remaining wire twists and the undersides of the branches, or at least as many as you can. Starting at the top makes it easier.

The tree has been pruned since the previous post. I like to look at the silhouette a while before deciding on the final shape. I removed 2 of the upper branches here and added 1 of them lower on the tree by poking a hole and glueing it in place. The other branch became a small tree. The top has been broken off. I gave the trunk a similar movement as the previous tree and plan on planting them close together so the foliage blends together.

Next up: painting.

Helpful tip: As I work on the trees, they are screwed into that piece of wood using a drywall screw. The hole made in the bottom of the tree from the screw is useful later to epoxy a skewer into to serve as an anchor in the foam base.

IMG_0992
    IMG_0987
    IMG_0989
    IMG_0991
  • Thanks for the awesome tutorial. Makes me want to make some trees!
  • Very interesting about the branch tips and how they’re added. Seems to make a big difference!
  • i've made wire trees before and used white glue and sawdust for texture. it's another option that works pretty well, but not for a foreground tree. thanks for the picture of the modeling paste.
    do you think this one would work?
    flex paste
  • Thanks guys.

Kevin, that paste should do just fine. All it is doing is adding bulk to the trunk and hiding the wire twists. You can make a foreground tree with glue and sawdust. I'm using glue and ground up leaves...may as well be the same thing.

I think the key to realism is coloring, just like we do with our stripwood or castings. I'll get some closeups soon but I start with a dark brown spray paint. Give a couple different colors of light brushing...heavier than drybrushing. I used mudstone, barnwood, and dove gray. Add a wash of burnt umber to tone these colors down and blot in a darker gray (dark elf skin) while the wash is still dry. Repeat as many steps as you like. On the first completed tree there was an additional drybrush with dove gray and a wash of IA. Add some moss and slimy green accents then on to the needles.
  • Painted then let dry overnight. Brush glue onto the branch tips then flock with static grass applicator. I used primarily dark green 4mm flock. Added a pinch of light green and bright green for variation. Don't spray with adhesive, you will get flock where you don't want it. More can be added later if you like, but I like the open branch look myself. Once the glue is dry, I'll drybrush the needle tips with a yellow olive and call this tree done.

At this point I need to prepare the base, finalize the placement of structures and trees. This may be all I need, but may need another one depending on the space. I did go ahead and flock some saplings also. 2 of them are from branches that were pruned from this tree and the rest made from trimming the root wires. The top and right side were pruned to provide space for the foliage from the first tree. Their tops should blend together nicely.

IMG_0993
    IMG_0996
    IMG_0997

IMG_0999
  • Excellent tutorial......I need to try some of these......after I get back to the water tank and shed...lol
  • Hope you do try some. Would be interested to see how others do it. I'm always looking f or new ideas.

Test fitting the trees here. IMG_1004
  • the trees look great! can't wait to see 'em in context.
  • Looking great Bryan, I need to get back to some tree making myself, yours look really good. I can just never seem to get in the mood for trees anymore, but after seeing yours and Roberts it's something I need to start doing while watching TV and wasting time.

Great step by step. Thanks for sharing.
  • Trees on a diorama are allways a nice addition. Great work !!
  • Great tutorial. Thanks!
  • Thanks guys. Have the remaining ones on the bench near completion.

Robert's are still the gold standard.
  • Looks to be similar to Boomer dioramas trees, he's got some great tutorials over on youtube
  • That's quite a compliment Mike. I made these based on his videos.
  • Been some slow progress lately. Every time I turn around there's something else to do outside. That time of year I suppose.

The tree grove is looking about done. I'm going to have it on a little knoll. I also played around with a fallen tree. I kind of like it so I'll try to find a spot for it.

The display cover arrived so I put together the frame for the base. Used 1x2, routed a ridge to hold cover in place then cut to size and have them glued together here. I'll cut the foam to fit snug inside and run a bead of glue all the way around which will make it all 1 solid piece. The foam will sit flush with the top of the frame. First I'll secure the track and file it down to the edge as the track will come in at an angle and it's easier to file before installing inside the frame.

IMG_1032
    IMG_1034
    IMG_1030
    IMG_1031
  • Good progress Bryan, always nice to see good tight 45s on the frame.
  • Hi Bryan,
    Great to see some more progress of your work. I'm really excited what you are doing next.
  • A mundane step here but thought it was worth sharing. I cut the foam base to fit inside the frame and created the space for the electronics under the base. There will be 1/2" clearance under the base but I need a bit more to add a 9V battery holder. I marked a square on the base and cut it out. The corner mark is to make sure I return it in the correct orientation. I sliced the cutout in half like a slice of bread then glued the piece back in place. I like Aleens tacky glue for foam though it does take a while to dry.
    IMG_1036
    IMG_1035