visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

This is the story of Jerkwater, USA. An off-the-beaten-path filling station for thirsty coffeepot locos.

This build will incorporate the water tank/handcart repair shed. It may be alone, but I doubt it. I'm leaning towards cutting the size of the repair shed down to 12x12 and use a lean-to to cover the area between it and the tower. I'm also thinking of incorporating the wood cutter shack...the 6-pole shed as a cover for the handcar work area and the oil tank for fuel. The main structure of the wood cutter could be a sand drying house or the Jerkwater station. It also may not make it at all.

I still have a lot of planning to do as you can see, but I couldn't wait to get started. So I got to work on some parts that will be in the build no matter what...the castings.

The stone base is assembled, painted and mostly weathered. I'm going to look at it for a while to make sure I like it. I can always change the paint job now, but will not be an option later. The close up shows a couple stones at the bottom left where I'm trying out adding lichen (very small light gray and orange spots above the moss) Also just primed the 3-d printed details...2 more and they wouldn't have fit on my foam.

Ideas for the story and layout plan are welcome as always. Making them funny increases the chances of adding them.IMG_0749
IMG_0750
IMG_0751
IMG_0752

Comments

• Stone looks incredible, great job with it. Looking forward to watching this come to life.
  • Bryan,

Thanks for that outline of your plan to incorporate the Water Tank and Handcar Maintenance Shed into a larger build/diorama. What a great plan outline. I really look forward to seeing how you further develop your concepts. Eventually this should make a great diorama.
    Nice start on the plaster castings. In particular I admire your brick work.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Great vision Bryan! Will be following along to see what you come up with. Great start and nice stone work.
  • I really like the coloration of the stone....and I'm a fan of the moss and lichen....nature always makes a showing on a structure....and your ideas on a bash are kool too....watching your progress with interest....I've ground to a almost halt...trying to get in the shop this weekend....
  • Bryan off to a great start. Always interested in seeing where you go with things. Sounds quite interesting and I will be following along to see what happens.
  • Thanks for the input. I've been toying around with a possible placement plan. Min space to do everything above is 12x18. At that size things will be a bit compressed so I'd likely go slightly bigger. I only did paper cutouts of the space needed so I think I'll need 3-d mockups to get a real sense of the space required. I also think the taller structures like the tank/sand tower should go towards the middle. That complicates things a bit.

I'll keep pressing on until I get a better sense of how it should look.
  • I've laid out the structure outlines here. It's on a sheet that will fit inside a 12X18 acrylic box. For perspective, this is the area used for the Tractor repair shed diorama. I have the watertank near the center with the repair shed near the front with an unobstructed view inside. On the near side of the tracks are the woodcutter shack AKA the Jerkwater station and the oil tank platform. The block covering the tracks is the platform for the sand tower and the large block behind that is a sand storage and drying area. The 6 pole shed is peaking out from behind the stone base.

I'm also toying with switching sides of the sand storage and station.

There is room behind the repair shed for all of the clutter, handcars, etc. May also be able to squeeze in a tree in that back corner as long as the branches are placed right. I'd also like a cellar door at the base of the stone base.

I'm still thinking and extra 2" or so might be in order, but we're getting somewhere now.IMG_0753
  • Wow that will be one very busy scene. Looking forward to it.
  • same here. this is gonna be cool.
  • Interesting plan. Looking forward to the next step!

Jerry
  • Like your creative take on these structures. Lots going on in a small space. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.
  • Bryan, nice to see you are starting a new build already. I like the color of the stones on the water tank base. I am struggling with mine. I am looking forward to see how you fit all of this together. Randy
  • This is going to great watching you evolve this scene Bryan and your ideas.
  • Concept is awesome, cannot wait to see where you go with this!
  • Bryan...I enjoy following your thought process on builds almost as much as the actual build...lets do this
    Terry
  • I appreciate everyone following along. Planning the diorama is one of the most fun parts for me Terry. Then be flexible enough to adjust as the build develops.

Some progress shots on the tank. I see some glue spots to clean up and some board ends to tend to but it's coming along. I went with a brownish color for this to go with the gray stones. I also have a surprise in store for the tank in the next step.

IMG_0755
    IMG_0757
  • Looking good Bryan. Did you paint the roof? Randy
  • Thanks Randy. Just a primer before the shingles. I went with brown instead of black. The platform, tank and roof have not been glued together yet so I can keep working on them.
  • Looks great Brian,
    It sure looks like you are up there in the 'high speed and high quality' group.
    I like the green algae, damp mold effect, subtle and very nice.

Edge of my seat waiting to see your next ideas and update.
  • Looks great. I also like the greenish hues
  • Oh boy, oh boy.... git after it Bryan. Love what you do with these.
  • Thanks guys.

The tank took its next step here...got a coat of ochre yellow. We must be thinking alike Art.

I did a paint peel after it dried. I think I scrubbed too hard over the Deer Creek stencil seen in pic 2. The close up does give a nice representation of the depth given by peeling the paint and also the rust texture on the bands. I added a couple of streaking lime/calcium deposits. I'll keep working on these. Also went with smaller shingles on the roof and skipped the hatch, though I was thinking about adding an open hatch looking into some dead rats floating on the water.

Still 4 separate assemblies to continue working.

IMG_0763
    IMG_0764
    IMG_0765
    IMG_0766
    IMG_0768
  • That does give it a different and distinctive look....I see you did the same things with the shingles I did at the top...I used to do roofing....way back....and I hated doing victorians as they all had at least one roof like this....
  • Looks good Bryan I like the roof............
  • Rustic, unique, FANTASTIC!
  • Muddy, the top row should be covered by the cap. If it looks bad after that, I'll re-do them. I promise to start reading the directions one of these days.

I was planning on a roof brown accent color but after seeing Karl's door I'm going with maroon. The station will match. Jerkwater may be a backwoods hick town, but the workers know how to color coordinate.

Wow Brett, a triple play.
  • unique spin on the traditional wood tank.
  • That does give it a different and distinctive look....I see you did the same things with the shingles I did at the top...I used to do roofing....way back....and I hated doing victorians as they all had at least one roof like this....

i did some roofing as a yoot too, and those peaks were a bitch.

• the tank looks perfect.
  • Nice! The rust effects on the bands is great! I like the smaller shingles good choice.