visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

Comments

• Thanks Dave. The sand house looks good on the near side of the tracks but not the platform, so we have a new option here. I agree about the station on the far side of the tracks. Just looks better there.

Randy, the shed in the back is the 6 pole shed from the woodcutter shack kit. This is where the track will lead for the handcar to be worked on under this shed, which is why it is sitting back. Have not tried it up front but I'll give it a try. You mentioned the bare spot on the front-left which is an area I've been thinking about also. My ideas have ranged from the elevated oil tank, a big pile of pallets and/or ties, a 2nd track to give the impression of a siding, or low/overgrown vegetation.

These are great ideas, keep them coming. This is why I posed the question because everyone here is very creative. I've now confirmed the footprint needed and I have some time to play around with the placements.

I'll move back to finishing the tank and shed while I ponder this.

I've also decided that if the station stays here, it will get shingles to match the water tower and if it gets its own diorama, I'm leaning towards get green tarpaper.
  • I have rearranged in both my mind and on the foam my module....and I still can't decide yet....I need to glu it down so I can start lansdcaping and detailing....soon I hope.... I kinda like the version with the station on the close side and I also like the cluttered idea of the structures...in reality, they usually were crammed into the available space.....Looking Good....you've inspired me to get back to work on mine...
  • Thanks Art. Glad to hear you are back at it.
  • Mulling over roof options. There will be 2 shake and 2 tarpaper roofs. Kind of think metal would be good on the workshop. IMG_0903
    IMG_0904
  • Bryan, One weathered I would prefer the standing seam rofing. Randy
  • Tough one...they both look the part. If the structure was large I'd say the standing seam. However, smaller structure here so both look great.
  • edited February 2023
    Looking great Bryan,
    I like the standing seam but the ribs look to close together, it throws off the whole look for me. 50% more or twice as far apart on the seams and I'd love it,
    but, out of those two options I'd have to go with the corrugated. But that's just my opinion. Personally, I think I'd shingle it.

Everything is coming together so well on this and the variations are playing out nicely.
    Great stuff.
  • Thanks for the input. Who knew that this would be such a tough decision? It all looked so clear in my head when I decided to add the other structures and whack this one in half.
  • I'm a fan of the shingles too....I just like the softer look....I'm using corrugated on my lean to shed...and tarpaper on a few other sheds....
  • I agree that the spacing on the standing seam roof is off and would need to be adjusted.
  • I like the corrugated roofing look much better in this instance.
  • All good ideas to consider.

The station is going to be next for a roof though. The interior is in place as is a light so on to the roof. Shake shingle to match the water tower.

I kept the doors open wide to give a nice wide view of the interior details. Bigger details that are easy to see with just a few smaller details for interest. The open doors also act as a view block to focus attention. I should probably add some hint at hinges on the inside of the door frame.

IMG_0918
    IMG_0919
    IMG_0920
    IMG_0921
  • Bryan.
    Many neat little details to see in the interior of the depot. The one that jumped out at me was the empty soda bottle on the desk top.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Love the views from ground level through the open doors!
  • Nice interior detailing!
  • Dave, these clear 3D parts are wonderful details. Can be empty, full, or anywhere in between.

Ken and Tom, thanks and this is why its so hard to put the doors facing away from the front of the diorama. Such a wide opening to draw the viewer in.
  • Continuing on with the station, I couldn't help but add signs to tell the story of location.IMG_0443
  • lol...nice touch!
  • Nice signs!
  • Really nice...I dig the signs...
  • Bryan, very nice interior views, I see you also found some of those O scale brick for under the stove. Great touch. Randy
  • Signs were fun and they make me smile. Reason enough.

Randy, I picked up those bricks years ago. A few have made it into several dioramas. Most notably into O'Neills where I built a round foundation for a donkey powered crane.
  • My repair shed sprouted a wing!

Actually, I was not as happy as I wanted to be with the smaller workshed and I liked Randy's free standing shed so much that I decided to add on. I put the small shed on brick footers and 6x6 to raise it enough to make room for a traveling hoist. I think the wood blended in OK. I kept the new side wall open to see the stonework on the tower.

Now I just need to coax that last bit of chain down into the block.
    IMG_0931
    IMG_0937
    IMG_0942
    IMG_0943
    IMG_0944
  • Great addition!
  • Well done and love the dark wood color.
  • Bryan, Great job on the shed extension. The wood color looks to be an exact match to the rest of the shed. I really like the sloped corners on the extension's doors. They add a lot more interest than my square doors. The brick footers look really nice. They add another vertical component to the build along with the water tank. I also like the open feel to the work bay. Love the hoist. Great addition. Randy
  • Unreal....I dig the concept....
  • Thanks guys.

Randy, something just a bit different was the idea on the angled corners. While prepping for the floor, I did realize yesterday that I made it bigger than expected. Instead of building the framing for the outer corners into the header, I added the length of the corners to the header making it about 1/2" longer than expected. Oh well. Room for another workbench I suppose.
  • In my quest to make everything just a little bit harder than it needs to be, I will sink the rails to make the head flush with the floor. Seen here in the test fit stage.IMG_0947
    IMG_0948
  • Love the modifications. Turning this into truly a one of a kind phenomenal diorama.