visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

Comments

• Thanks guys.

Here's the 2nd wave of the metal details so no need to wait. We'll follow these 5 pieces through the process. It should give a nice variation of painted vs bare metal surfaces.

The base coat was again muted colors. Yellow olive for the compressor, SW Bone with gray mixed in for the propane tank, gray with some metalic paints mixed in for the others. Then sponged on a thinned mix of lighter metalic on the tub and trashcans.

I started a chipping effect on the compressor using SW Grime. It's a nice compliment to the olive. Then sponged on some dark rust on 3, and left 2 alone. The scratches down the side of the compressor came from a toothpick dipped in the paint and dragged along to make the scratches. When doing the chipping, start with a lighter color of the base color, follow with a dark gray and finally dark rust. It gives the chips depth.

IMG_0859
    IMG_0854
    IMG_0855
  • Love watching your process. The rust on the bottom of the trash cans is amazing
  • Thank Joel. I've certainly picked up a bunch of good ideas from you that I use now.

I'm working on the enamel rust now. 3-4 different colors give a nice mix with Track Wash being the base and the lighter colors used for blending. I use a small brush seen here. I use plenty of mineral spirits to thin the paints...even the washes. The glass on my workbench makes for a nice palette. I'll put the rust where I think it will look good and work it in with the brush. These deposits will be workable for an hour or so and it is good to look at your work to find any harsh edges. These can be feathered out with a brush damp (not dripping wet) with mineral spirits.

I want a crusty and spotty underside to the tub. I'll be interested to see what comes from this swirling application seen here.IMG_0416
    IMG_0417
  • The rust has dried to the touch, but you can still work it at this point if you want. Here's a closeup of the compressor and a very close up of the tub. Crusty and rusty! Next will come dusty.

IMG_0865
    IMG_0868
  • The final steps were to add a light wash of Pacific Dust and give a light drybrush/graphite rub.

The 5 pieces turned out decent. I want to work on the placement of the hose on the compressor but that's minor. A couple things I liked are the different tones on the trashcans and the rust/crust/dust accumulation on the bottom of the tub. The propane tank looks better in person that in super close up, but that's how it works sometimes.

Hope you found this of value. I've tried several different methods for painting castings and this is my favorite for now. But I'm always open to trying different methods.

There is 1 more collection of small castings plus the clear castings before this part of the build is done.

IMG_0869
    IMG_0870
    IMG_0871
    IMG_0872

IMG_0873
    IMG_0874
  • Love the rust on the bottom of the tub, the look of "used" is on all of the parts.....nicely done...
  • Beautifully done!
  • Love the air hose routing. Rust on the tub is perfect.
  • Nice details! I agree a mix of detail weathering is more subtle. The handcar turned out really nice. I especially like how you added the most rusted areas where water would naturally have settled. Very nice! the color of the handcar works well also.
  • Thanks guys. I do like the way these details are turning out.

I started placing some inside the workshop. I ended up cutting the floor down in size to match the workshop. I'm considering elevating this slightly with a brick/stone makeshift foundation. These photos should help me find spots for some smaller details like tools and rags. Also to add some dirt/grime to areas of the floor. Can't help but notice the big 'ol finger print on the stovepipe.

I'll probably add the windows then move this to the side and work on the deck of the station and the 6-pole shed. At that point I can lay everything out and get a feel for how the scenery will flow. Once I get back to the workshop I'll add a light and the roof...probably corrugated.

Also, a bunch of new peeps arrived this week so they will be fun to stage around as I play with the layout plan.

IMG_0875
    IMG_0876
    IMG_0877
    IMG_0878
  • Love the way it's coming together....I made a choice to walk away for a bit from my build...to chill out a bit....hope to have some done tomorrow night....I did do a few things....just didn't feel like posting here for a bit...
  • Great scene, love the stove and coffee pot. Very nice
  • edited February 2023
    Beautiful colouring, composition and finishes throughout Bryan.
    Everything looks so natural and your own personal 'touches' add so much to your results, as they always do.
  • This is all really well done. Love it.
  • Great details and placement.
  • Great work on all the details!
  • Bryan,
    I especially like the location of the drill near the open shop door. It is a great new detail to get up front in the shop where it can be seen. Hopefully, the light above the drill will be operational to help highlight it even more.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/109/XRDN90PARA2F.png
  • Thanks guys.

Dave, I used the light fixture so it is not functional. There will be overhead light for the interior. Either from a fixture hanging from ceiling or concealed behind the front wall.

I made the floor for the station and framed the windows. Went with a stained wood floor. I started adding window coverings but they seemed to take away more than they added. Trying out some detail placement here.

IMG_0881

IMG_0879
    IMG_0880
  • Bryan,
    Call me a sucker for details but that desk, chair and stove are great. Like the white plaster walls, the chair rail and wainscoting as well. I think I can see a peep or two that you mentioned earlier in this station sometime in the not to distant future.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Dave. Something I'm struggling with now is how to place things inside the station and which way the doors should open to give the best view. More on this later I'm sure.

I finished up the desk and stove. There's a cool little coal bucket in the Woodcutter Shack kit for the stove and a nice 2 drawer stand to give some interest to the back wall.

I'm adding a 2nd handcar, and I have a shop crane on a 10' flat that I might try to incorporate.

IMG_0418
    IMG_0419
  • Nice looking stove and floor in the station Bryan I like your placement of the detail parts in the work shop. Glad to see you are making some changes to the handcar repair shed. I also plan to make a few myself. Randy
  • The addition of window trim and baseboard finish off the interior nicely. Interior details are very well done as are the handcars.
  • Looking good...I really like that stove...I have one similar someplace in my stash...
  • Thanks guys. Muddy, that's exactly where I found these items...in my stash. Just when you think "I have too much stash", a need arises for that one piece.
  • You can never have too much of a stash of parts!
  • I try to get stuff from here as I can afford to, and I've compiled a pretty good stash....have them all in plastic boxes.....some painted...some not. I also never seem to use all of the details with each kit due to mods I need to make to fit it to my layout, so these too go in the boxes...
  • Very nice...wonderful details.
  • Thanks guys.

Now that all of the structures are assembled I can get a visual on how to proceed. For reference, the piece of paper is 25" X 15" and the yardstick cuts it off to 12".

This configuration shows the station on the near side of the tracks. The deck framing has an optional side addition on it for right now. Also in the shots is a custom firefighting train. I'm thinking about having the water tank in action filling up the tank car. As I look at these photos though it seems like I'm trying to fit 10lbs into a 5lb sack.
    IMG_0425
    IMG_0426

This configuration puts everything on the far side of the tracks with no train. Makes it look a bit less cluttered but I'm still not convinced it's the way to go.

IMG_0429
    IMG_0430

This configuration removes the station and adds the train back in. This is an interesting look. I want the station but I'm not opposed to turning this into 2 dioramas. I'm going to proceed with finishing the tank platform and workshop roof while I decide. Your thoughts are welcome.

IMG_0431
    IMG_0432
  • Bryan,
    Decisions, decisions. What to do?
    My thoughts. I think you are heading in the right direction. I would like to see your station oriented towards the viewer with the sanding station across the tracks from from the water tank.
    Great to see your new diorama stand put to use as a staging platform.
    Later, Dave S, Tucson, AZ
  • Bryan, I like the station in the sceen. While I like the grouping with the station the near side to the track it would be a shame to not be able to see in through the open front door. I can not put my finger on it but you are right the arrangement with the station on the far side of the track apparies less crowded. However the the near side of the track is to bare. I don't remember what the little shed in the back, by the tree, is for but maybe move it to the front of the track. Randy