visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

Comments

• Love watching your process. You seem to be having so much fun with it. Very entertaining and some great modeling.
  • Thanks Rick.

Yes Joel, I've been having a lot of fun with this one. Making major modifications makes me appreciate more the amount of design work that goes into one of these kits. Every time I change 1 thing, it creates 2 more challenges to overcome.

Couple more pieces to the puzzle here. A sand drying stove and beginning work on the work shed roof. Decided to go back to shingles on this one. Mostly because I started to shingle the roof of the station and didn't like the look so it will get a different treatment...I'm thinking asphalt shingles right now.

I used the roof underlay from the kit as a template to build a new underlay using some scrap siding. The kit underlay no longer fit after earlier modification. See challenge above. It is made from wood that had deep white grain in it that I didn't want to use as siding. I gave it a more distressed look than the water tower with missing shingles, tarpaper and metal patches. I'll add the hatches once the 2nd side is complete then give both some moss treatments.

In case you are wondering why I am moving between structures like a skeeter with ADHD, I'm taking planning advice from my friend Hap and is dog Hazard seen here diabolically planning my next move.

IMG_0949
    IMG_0952
    IMG_0928
  • Sand drying stove...who would of thought! Looks awesome. That is going to be one nice roof with tons of visual interest!
  • thanks Ken.

The roof has been shingled, mossed and installed. Still need to add the hatches and work on the stovepipe a bit.IMG_0955
    IMG_0956
  • Great roof. It does make me wonder why the siding has not weathered a bit more though as the roof is fantastically grungy.
  • You've got the mossy roof technique down solid Bryan. Nicely done.
  • Thanks Ken. I'm enjoying the moss additions.

Joel, what I find interesting is that the siding and roof were done with the same colors. I think it is a combination of the light angle and moss that have really changed they way the colors are seen. That being said, you are right about needing to revisit the walls as they received modest post-coloring weathering.
  • Bryan, would you share your moss technique. I assume its green ground foam and a slimy green wash? A little close up would also help.
  • The roof does look really good....a wee bit of green on the walls would look nice...
  • I think nastiness would be called for here Bret/Art.

Jens, yes for the moss. I use a buff colored ground foam. Put spots of undiluted PVA where I want it then sprinkle foam. Let dry and brush/blow off excess. Paint as you like. I used dark slimy green then added light slimy green to some and let the paint blend. I also put some slimy dark paint on the bottoms of most shingles then washed it off with thinner to leave just a hint of green. Once this dried, I drybrushed a few clumps with the red that I've been using as trim on the water tank. I also splattered diluted green/gray paint randomly over the shingles by flicking a brush with a toothpick.
  • Thanks for the explanation. So many steps for "just" a mossy roof. I will give it a try on the roof of my watertower.
  • edited March 2023
    Nastiness eh......I like that term.....i was also looking at some lichen on some rocks today....a slightly grey green color....I've done some slight "greening" down low on some walls to show a hint of dampness.....I'm looking forward to your application of nastiness...
  • Rick, looking around nature for inspiration is a big help. The closer you look the more things you will find. For the lichen you describe, my go to colors have been from Model Color: 70-971 Green Gray and 70-805 German Orange.
  • Absolutely love the roof, looks perfect. Agreed, the walls need to be nastied up a bit!
  • edited March 2023
    Fantastic looking roof Bryan, definitely one of your specialties.
    (along with your many others.)
  • Jens, no more steps in doing the roof than you have done to the siding of your truck repair. All worth it in the end.

Thanks Brett and Karl.

I was browsing for some reference pics to help with the nastiness and ran across this. It is from the Coggeshall Farm in Bristol, RI. I encourage you to search the site. It has several interesting pics on there. I was stuck by how much this looked like the repairshed I'm working on from the shape, wood color, and roof. I swear I didn't find this until now but it sure looks like I tried to copy it.
    Image 3-16-23 at 3.27 PM
  • edited March 2023
    Thats a great pic Brian, it looks almost as good as your model, but not quite.

I wonder if that brick chimney is for a small forge for minor blacksmithing in that open area, maybe horse shoeing etc, I also see a stone grinding wheel in there and a walk behind plough.

I'll have to check out the site for maybe the answer, and some ideas...

Thanks for sharing.
  • Karl, also looks like a wagon, wheelbarrow, and stacked fire wood. Brett some more details to add. Great moss on the roof Bryan. Randy
  • Nice pic. Real moss roof has nothing on you!
  • Thanks guys. The structure was listed as their cart shed/work shop.

I'm toying around with an idea to have running water. I won't be able to decide until the structures are planted so I can get a feel for the overall look. I did a practice piece here which is just stuck in the end of the spout.
    IMG_0966
  • Nicely done!!!
    Terry
  • That looks really good!
  • Very nice!
  • Thanks guys. Hope it works out that I can keep this 'cause I'm liking it.

Got the roof on the station and added some seating. Roof is asphalt shingles. They were distressed then painted and very fine sand sprinkled into the wet paint for texture. A patch was added for interest along with some moss in between rows of shingles to match the cedar roofs.

IMG_0970
  • As I was scrolling down, I saw a mention of “running water”. My reaction was “My God! What now?” Just yesterday, I was wondering who might invent diorama smell-o-vision to go with the increasing usage of lighting!!! You can’t have a dio with a gas pump without the smell of gas, can you?
  • edited March 2023
    ALCO said:

I was wondering who might invent diorama smell-o-vision to go with the increasing usage of lighting!!!

I had a pine air-freshener under my sawmill if that counts... ;-)
  • Smell-o-vision. I love it! Gas, smoke, wet dog. All sound fantastic.

Yes Karl, that counts.
  • edited March 2023
    For the sawmill I was planning on having the 'sawmill' sound module built into the base and a couple of the pine air fresheners close by... full emersion.

For my O Shelbys I was planning on the 'ocean' sound module with seagulls, etc built in. I was also going to open a couple of cans of Tuna and hide them under the display table... haha.

Big ideas, and yet, years later, neither builds are 100% complete.

We are all however looking forward to you bringing this one to completion, as you always do, and admiring your finished pics.
  • I actually light up the Disney Candle Company "Rome Burning " from the Geosphere in EPCOT when working on the layout or modeling....smells like coal burning....I also have those big bags of balsam chips you can buy up in Maine.....
  • Sweet detail Bryan!