visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My 3, 4, and 5th Sierra West Models

Comments

• Looks good Randy lots of toothpicks. .........
  • Thanks Karl, I think I am about finished with painting all the details. The white metal castings are next. I finished the wood boxes and barrels last night. I again used the AK international weathering pencils.IMG_1954resized
    I will add some chalk to all the details to tone down the colors before I plant them on the diorama. Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated. Randy
  • Nice work on the detail parts. The wood items are especially well done.
  • edited February 22
    There are indeed a lot, Emery and remember I have two other SW kits with all their details to fit on the diorama. Yes there are Carl. I now buy two containers of toothpicks at a time. Thanks Tom I think I need to tone down the bands a little. Thanks to all for your comments and encouragement. Randy
  • Nice looking barrels
  • Great detail work Randy!
  • looks awesome Randy!
  • Thanks sdrees, Ken, and Brett for the kind words. Tomorrow night I will work on the white metal castings. Then I will start putting everything together. Randy
  • Excellent job on the woodwork coloring Randy.
  • Thanks Emery
  • Wooden items look great Randy, cant wait to see what you do with the metal.

As you asked for the suggestions and you said they were finished…
    I would try to vary the wood colour between items as they seem ‘uniform’

Dust a few with dry grey chalk to age them a little. Dip a few in a/i to darken them but not the others. Just to make them all not look the same.
    That’s my thoughts.

Great work all around on these builds so far.
  • Thanks Karl, I was planning to do the chalk just before panting them on the diorama. Will also try the India ink and alcohol but am worried it will affect the color that is there to much. I will still give it a try on a few of the wood details. Randy
  • As I have been saying I was going to finish the metal detail parts. Here they are polished and painted. IMG_1955resized
    Thanks for looking. Randy
  • Looking great randy
  • Thanks Karl and Carl for the kind words. Karl, I used your advise from my truck repair kit about polishing the tools on a piece of white paper. I really like the shine it gave the heads of the axes and hammers. I am planning to add the windows to the walls tonight and maybe glue the walls together. Randy
  • Details look great Randy...you better grunge up that wheelbarrow or I won't speak to you ever again!:).
  • ken, here is the first step in the wheelbarrow grunging project,IMG_1960resized
  • Karl, I tried some AI on two "wood" boxes. It worked and blended out the colors of the AK pencils. IMG_1962resized
  • Ha, wheelbarrow looking grungy…
    Those crates are awesome Randy, very well done!
  • edited February 27
    Looking good Randy. Glad you tried it, my paper technique is a great way to just polish the edges and raised areas.
    The A/I has altered them just enough to give some difference to the ones that havent and break up the 'sameness'.
  • Hi Randy:
    I've been following your build and it looks great. Learning a lot from your tips and techniques so thanks. This will be a great diorama when you get it done. Details are awesome.
  • Well Ken, I need to do some grunging to the handels. Thanks Karl, I am glad I tried it too. Glandesjr, Thanks I hope I can make everything fit. I tried to do the windows last night. I got the real glass cut and in the window frames. I was ready to install them and realised they were way undersized. I contacted Brett and he is sending the O scale windows. So I will put the walls together tonight. Thanks all for the kind comments. Randy
  • Over the last few nights I have been working the large workbenches. I added some chalk and IA. I also added the small tools and other detail parts. IMG_1963resized
    The shelves and cupboard were also theated the same way.IMG_1964resized
    I got the new window frames from Brett yesterday and I am going to try to get the windows glazed and installed tonight. Thanks for looking and as usual any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Those turned out great Randy!
  • Looks good Randy. .........
  • Excellent work Randy. Time well spent.
  • Great work on those details randy.
  • Thanks Karl, you have been a great help with your suggestions and painting details thread. I glazed and installed the windows last night. As usual I used real glass for the glazing. As you can see from the pictures I were latex gloves to handle the glass so as n ot to leave fingerprints. IMG_1967resized
    IMG_1968resized
    In the first picture the right hand window is a little out of alinement. But it was worse. Glass over hung the edge of the frame. I used a diamond dust file to sand off the excess glass. On the second picture I will need to go back and clean some glue with a #11 blade. Thanks for looking and as usual any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Lovely color !! Nice work so far !!