visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My 3, 4, and 5th Sierra West Models

Comments

• Thanks Ken I may have got the details to close the edge of the platform. That fallen over roll of tarpaper is almost blocking the path. Thanks Tom and Jim. I will try that or look up Karls thread. Randy
  • Jim, I looked for Karl's thread. I could not find where it is foun d. Would you please let me know where to look. Thanks, Randy
  • edited January 29
  • Thanks Jim, I did get page one to open. Randy
  • I have been a little under the weather the last week. I have done a little work but have not felt like posting to my thread. I finished the roof for the tool shed.IMG_1939resized
    The tarpaper was finished as Brett suggested with white water based pint thinned in alcohol. I then lightly sanded it with a fine abrasive sponge. The abrasive sponge sands away a little at the edges of the tarpaper making the edges show up better. Finely, I scraped black and brown chalk on the roof and streaked it from top to bottom with a soft brush. That for the most part finishes the tool shed until I instal it on the diorama. Thanks for looking and all commen ts or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Roof looks great Randy! Well done.
  • Thanks Ken, I just commented on the stove pipe in your blacksmith build. Randy
  • Very nice well done........
  • Thanks Carl, I have now started on number five. Randy
  • Saw that Randy and thanks.
  • Turned out really great!
  • Thanks Carl and Ken. As I said I have started on SW kit number five, the lineside shed. I wanted this shed to be the newest of the three. First I took about one third of the siding and set it side. The other two thirds were lightly wire brushed and then drilled and filled with toothpicks.
    IMG_1929resized
    After the glued dried overnight the toothpicks were clipped of and the boards were stained with alcohol and chalk. I used Rembrandt chalks number 234.3 and 231.8 gold ochre to color the wood. The gold ocher gives the wood a new wood color with the light brown 234.3 adding just a touch of age. The third of the wood without toothpick knots was stained mostly with the gold ocher with just a touch of the light brown. This will be the wood for the inside walls.IMG_1933resized
    The wood for the outside walls was treated with just a little more of the 234.3 light brown.IMG_1934resized
    The front wall with the siding in place but not trimmed.IMG_1938resized
    The front came out just about how I was wanting it to look. Thanks for looking and as always all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Great progress, love the walls and knots. Perfecto!
  • Randy, These are some of the best knots I've seen. Really good stuff. It looks great so far. Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks Brett, and glandesjr, I like the knots too. Most of the time they seem to disappear when I stain the wood. Randy.
  • Excellent job on the siding.
  • Siding turned out great! The wood really looks like new wood. Well done!
  • Thanks Emery, and tom that was the look I was trying to get. I am glad you think I got it right. Randy
  • Walls look great Randy...it all starts here!
  • Thanks Ken, I now have all the walls sided and window frames and battens in place.IMG_1941resized
    They are under weights now so they don't warp. The only problem is I need two more strips of wood for battens for the corners. I will need to find some in my pile of strip wood. Thanks for looking and as normal all comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • This is looking great Randy, I really like the wall colouring and variation and the knots are superb.
  • Thanks Karl, I really appreciate your comment as I admire your modeling. I just finished adding knots to the wood for the doors gonight. Randy
  • Turned out GREAT! The wood color and the knots make it look real.
  • Thanks Tom, I think that is what we all try to achieve when we model. Randy
  • Love the progress you've made since last time I checked. The tool shed detailing is superb. Great work.
    Nicve wood prep on the lineside shed too. Can't wait to see them all on the diorama
  • Siding looks great and those knot holes show up so well on the lighter wood!
  • Thanks Joel and Ken. The last few days I have been painting detail parts. will show some new pictures soon. Randy
  • I have been working on some details for the line side shed. First the doors. I built them over the templates from lightly stained and knotted wood. I then was about ready to install the handles. I got to thinking why not use shim brass rather than the material included. They would stand up to rougher handling. The following picture shows the handles I bent from a narrow strip of brass I cut from as sheet of shim stock.IMG_1943resized
    After the handles were blackened I installed them on the prebuilt doors.IMG_1945resized
    Next came the larger wood detail parts. I did the coloring of these parts with the AK interactive weathering pencils I described back on page one of this thread.IMG_1946resized
    Of course I painted the non wood parts of the castings and blinded everything together with chalk. There are a lot of detail castings in this kit. The following the pictures show most all of the "metal" casting.IMG_1951resized
    IMG_1952resized
    IMG_1953resized
    I will finish up the barrels and wood boxes and be back with pictures of them later. Thanks for looking and as always all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Great progress Randy, you're moving along.
  • Lots and lots of those great detail parts to scatter around.