visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My 3, 4, and 5th Sierra West Models

Comments

• The finished walls turned out great, nice job there. Removable roofs are fiddly and need to be done carefully so they don't look removable! I did a large one on my Loco and Service Shops build and incorporated magnets to hold the roof down tight...way more work than I would do now!..
  • Looking good Randy. The shingles are especially well done.
  • Ken, I am still thinking about the removable roof but as you said it just be more effort than it is worth. Emery, thanks for your comment. The shingles were six months in the making. I liked the way they turned out. Randy
  • I have not decided about a removeable roof yet. But with the doors at least partially open I wanted to have some details in the interior. Here is what I decided to use to start with. IMG_1920resized
    If I decide to have a removable roof I will add more later. I will also add more dirt to the floor. As always any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • I was waffling on the idea of a removable roof on my latest project and reached a compromise, one half removable, one half not!...You've got a reasonable amount of details already so may want to go for it. Size of the roof would seem to make it reasonably straight forward.
  • Ken, that is food for thought. Thanks for the ideal. Randy
  • Roof turned out great! Nice coloring on the walls.

If you want the roof removable and there are no rafters you could cut a cardboard triangle to the angle of the end walls, and glue them to the roof just inside the wall. This would shape the roof to the end walls and make it removable.
  • Ken, I decided to have the whole roof removable. Not one to do things halfway.
    Tom, I thought of that but I used balsa sheet to make my triangles. I first laid down boards for the sheeting. These were the boards from the handcar shed that were to be used for the shingles. No use to waste good strip wood right? Then glied the triangles in place with lots of glue.IMG_1921resized
    The next night I did the sheeting for the other side of the roof. IMG_1923resized
    Next will come the end facia and the "tar paper". I plan to make one or two small taires in the tar paper so that the sheeting will show underneath. T and as thanks for looking and as always all commen ts and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Little extra work but will be nice to be able to see all the interior details. A little torn and weathered tar paper with the wood showing gives a nice aged look. Nice progress.
  • Thanks Ken.
  • Will be nice to be able to view the nice details on the interior. Good solution to be able to remove the roof.
  • Thanks, Tom I put on one strip of tar paper last night. Will do another strip tonight. Letting glue dry so wood does not warp. Thanks again, Randy
  • I like the roof solution you have come up with Randy.
  • Thanks Emery, it worked and I guess that is what counts. Randy
  • I worked on the storage tank and gas pump. I used .040 styrene to represent the concrete pad under the tank platform rather than the concrete footings. I thought this looked more like what a seat of the pants operation would do. Weathered the tank with CA rust colors. Followed the pumps directions except I used a thinner soldere for the gas hose on the pump.IMG_1924resized
    Side one above and side two below.IMG_1925resized
    I am continuing to add the tarpaper one strip a night. Thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Looks great Randy! Love the pump print and you did a wonderful job on the detailing.
  • Thanks Ken, I still to add some detail parts to the top and piping to the pump. Randy
  • Nice job on the pump and tank. Using a thinner solder for the hose really looks good!
  • Thanks Tom, I thought it looked more natural. I will use a larger diameter solder or wire for the pipe used to hook the tank to the pump. But that will be when I instal the buildings on the base. Randy
  • I worked on detailing the platform around the tool shed tonight. Here is what I worked out. IMG_1928resizrd
    For the most part I followed Brett's pictures in the instructions. Thanks for looking and as normal all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Looking nice Randy!
  • Looks awesome! Love the tarpaper roll labeling. Nice detail.
  • Great detail placement! this is the fun part!
  • Randy.
    How about a few old rags on that oil tank....
  • Nice work love it.
  • Thanks Brett, they are too big but I am not enough of a computer nerd to know how to make them smaller. So, I just looked up tar paper rolls and printed them. I wish I had know how to shrink them so the labels would be more to scale.
    Tom, I will save most of the rest of the details to plant on the ground around the building when I plant the buildings on the diorama.
    Cark, So far there is an oil can and one rag on the tank. I like using the white backing paper from the laser cut plastic window material to make the rags.
    Thanks Kevin I just followed Brett's pictures and instructions.
    Tanks all, Randy
  • Terrific looking details Randy! The scene arrangement looks great.
  • Randy,
    You can Google an image and when you find one you like you can save it to a Word document (right click on the image and select Save Image). In the Word doc you can resize it by dragging the corner smaller. Yhat's what I use to print signs and labels.
  • Karl actually has a thread about how to resize images. Very valuable.