visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My 3, 4, and 5th Sierra West Models

Comments

• edited November 2023
    Roof is going to look great Randy, beautiful colour variation, told ya that was the way to go, ha.

Thats a super SUPER close up so the pores are going to show on some shingles.
    What I usually do when doing it this way is, lay them all, then,
    do some weathering and blending with chalks, this will fill in some of those pores.
    final step, (when everything is good and dry get a new, sharp exacto and make lots of vertical random slices into the entire surface (lightly). Not full length, just quick random slices.

It doesn't take long because it is a small roof but it will give you that vertical grain/ridge effect of real cedar and give it dimensionality and depth.

As always do a test piece first to get the feel, but looking at how good it is now it will be a great result.
  • Thanks Karl for your advice. I will be sure to follow it when I get to that point. Randy
  • I got the purlins glued to the trusses. I hit the ends of the purlins with a little gray chalk and alcohol to represent the the weathered exposed ends.IMG_1890resized
    The trusses were not glued in place. So the whole unit will come out to make the roof and trusses removable. IMG_1891resized
    I decided to go on and adde the first row of shingles plus one on the second row to show the overlap.IMG_1893resized
    I remember the problem I had with warping when I did the roof of the Handcar shed. I removed the trusses and purlins.IMG_1894resized
    I turned the roof structure upside down and put a weight on the trusses to help hold it flat until the glue dries. Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Exciting part of the build Randy! The roof is the first thing folks notice so time well spent here. Looks fantastic thus far.
  • Very nice! Those shingles really look good!
  • edited November 2023
    Randy,
    Great build to date. You have got my modeling juices flowing again with your roof build. I am looking forward to your next steps.
    In my opinion Ken hit the nail square on the head with his comment about the first thing a viewer sees is the roof. The second thing I believe viewers see is the vehicles and then an interior that is lit up. Perhaps those two elements could easily be reversed.
    I keep getting drawn back to viewing the build of the Red Oak Garage by Chuck Doan as well as the modeling of Tom Johnson in part because they use no figures in their modeling dioramas. Both modelers seem to focus on structures, vehicles and scenery without any figures. An interesting concept.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Ken, Tom. and Dave for your kind comments. Last night I added a row of shingles to the other side of the roof. Tomorrow night I plan to add a second row to the row on the first side of the roof. I plan on alternating sides and allowing the glue to dry between rows. All the detail parts are painted or blackened and waiting for the building to be planted on the dio base. That is not going to happed until I finish the fourth and fifth SW buildings. Also last night I stained the wood for the Tool Shed siding. So the construction has started on my fourth kit. Randy
  • Roof is turning out nice.
  • Thanks Bryan I think this thickness of cader looks better. I did a little more work on the shed over the weekend. IMG_1896resized
    The second row of shingles was added. I think these look more natural because there is a more uniform color. Still differences between shingles but more subtle than the ones on my handcar shed roof. I also added the rafters for the lean to shed. I wanted a removable roof for the lean to. I used double sided tape on some paper and then spaced the purlins out and epoxied the corrugated roof onto the purlins.IMG_1897resized
    The roofing was weathered with PC board etchant and that is all that was done in this picture. I wanted to make sure that the lean to roof would fit under the overhang of the shingle roof. So putting them both in place there was enough clearance.IMG_1898resized
    I added a little Rust All the lean to roof in this picture. I will probably add more rust later.
    While glue was drying and other waiting times I grained and stained the siding wood for the tool shed. I want this building to be newer and in better repair than the rigging shed. I used shades of brown chalk and a lighter hand with the wire brushes. IMG_1895resized
    From now on I will be adding one row of shingles and working on the tool shed while the glue dries on the shingles. Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Looking great Randy, shingles are perfect and that corrugated looks wonderful.
    Slow and steady bud, works every time.
  • Combination of roofs looks really great!
  • The shingle roof is wonderfully done Randy! Color is perfect and the shakes are nicely in scale...well done.
  • Really showing some serious skills here!
  • Karl, I agree with you about taking my time. In the past I have rushed things and the model has suffered. Thanks Tom, they do fit together nicely. Ken I can not take credit for the color. It is all Mother Nature. The thinner cedar sheets make more scale thickness shakes. ALCO, thanks for the complement . Randy
  • Randy, with a little help from mother nature, you've come a long way. Nice work !!
  • I always like the look of etched roof panels. Nice job getting them rusty without completely dissolving them.
  • Thanks Robert, and Bryan. It is moving along. Randy
  • Well, except for the shingles on the roof which I am only doing one row a night the Rigging Shed is finished. So I decided I might as well get started on the Tool Shed. As I stated in another post, this shed will be of newer construction. Brownish color, less distressing of the wod, and fewer broken or missing boards. IMG_1902resized
    Above are the four walls with siding attached. The next kit will be the Lineside Shed Which I plan to build as an almost new building. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Might as well Randy as you're on a roll here! Good idea to change the age of the structures as it will be a nice contrast. Good start and it all starts with the wood...time well spent.
  • Thanks Ken, I am hooping the different ages of the building will add interest to the diorama. Randy
  • Oh it will for sure Randy. Look forward to seeing it come together.
  • Looking great Randy, there's nothing better than having two or three projects going at once, that's what always gets me in trouble, haha.
    The newer wood tones and differentiating the structures will really work out well in the finished scene.
  • This will make for a nice contrast with the rigging shed.
  • Love the colouring on the roof.
  • Thanks Ken, Karl, Bryan, and Joel for the comments. I have not been keeping up with the forum posts over the holidays. I did do some work on both the sheds. The Rigging shed is now finished until I plant it on the diorama. The roof took a lot of time because I did only one row of shingles on one side of the roof a night. This kept the glue causing the roof from warping. Karl I saw in your post that 18 months was not enough time to weather the cader enough for you. Six months was it for me. Here is the finished roof.IMG_1916resized
    Here is the rigging shed as it looks now with the roofs in place.IMG_1917resized
  • edited January 7
    Roof looks fantastic Randy, I like the corrugated cap that you added, nicely rusted also great colour and natural variation on the shingles..
    randyp said:

Karl I saw in your post that 18 months was not enough time to weather the cader enough for you. Six months was it for me.

Nope, that's not right, 6 months was fine for me on the Cedar, I got great colour. That's why I shared and recommended my technique to you, and others, glad to see it worked out for you..

That was Terry's post in my thread that you are referring to.

• Sorry, about that Karl. Thanks for your comment about the roof. I was happy the way it turned out. Randy
  • Wonderful roof work Randy! Shaping up to be a top shelf build.
  • While I was waiting for the glue to dry on the rigging shed shingles I worked on the tool shed. I already posted a picture of the walls but they were not finished. Now I have added doors and windows. As usual I used real glass in the windows. I also decided to have the doors open more than a mear crack. I will pile up boxes, crates, bearls, and gas cans inside the shed to add more depth to the scene.IMG_1918resized
    I then worked on the deck of the platform. I wasted my time doing two pieces of boards on the deck. Most of them ended up inside the shed.IMG_1910resized
    The legs and braces were next for the platform. The Ultimation sander was a big help in getting the legs as square and equal length as possible. IMG_1911resized
    The next few work sessions will be to glue the shed to the platform, add details in the shed and on the platform. Thanks for looking and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Thanks Ken for your nice comment. I am now thinking about how to make the roof on the tool shed removable. That might be more than I want to get involved with. Randy