visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My 3, 4, and 5th Sierra West Models

Comments

• Nicely done Randy! I applaud you for working with real glass...nothing looks more like glass...than glass.
  • Ken, I agree only glass looks like glass. Thanks Robert the colors I used were Rembrandt chalk 231.8 Gold ocker with just a little 234.3 Raw Sienna. I thought it gave nice new wood color. Randy
  • Well, I believe I have all three of the sheds built. Now all I need to do is plant them on the styrofoam base and add the scenery and details around them. The first three pictures are on a scrap of styrofoam I do not intend to use. Which arrangement of buildings of building do all of you think looks the best.IMG_1974resized
    IMG_1976
    IMG_1979resized
    IMG_1981resized
    The lineside shed is up on a box top as I plan to have it raised on a small hill. I only added the tree to one of the arrangements but it could be added to all of them. Please have a look and tell me what you think. If you can think of another arrangement feel free to let me know. Thanks for your input. Randy
  • I don't know which is best but I prefer those using both sides of the track. The tree adds a lot to the scene.
  • Thanks Jim for your input. I the tree will likely be in which ever scene I decide to go with. Randy
  • The covered porch of the Rigging Shed facing the Tool Shed (next to last picture) with both facing the tracks is logical and creates visual interest. The Lineside Shed would look good on a road access behind the two other structures and would balance the diorama to good effect.
  • Ken, Thanks for suggestions about the placement of the three sheds. I will probably go with this arrangement.IMG_1982resized
    It was also my Wife's favorite arrangement. Randy
  • Here is the fence for the back of the lineside shed.IMG_1985resized
    I am also thinking of using this arrangement of the sheds. Rich was worried the the last arrangement was taking up too much room. IMG_1986resized
    Thanks for looking and as always all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Randy, this is one of my favourite parts of diorama building. It really makes a huge difference to the final product. I find 2 things make a huge difference in stand alon dioramas. the first is to try to avoid putting the track parallel or perpendicular to the base. 30 degrees makes a huge difference. The second is to try variations in height. Even elevating one of the buildings by 1/2 and inch can add so much interest. In this case where all three are serviced by the rail you are sort of stuck but a small gully or hill as part of the scenery could improve things. If you are building this to add to a lyout that's a whole other ballgame and you are constrained by surrounding scenery.
    Just my 2 cents
  • I would second Joel's input on both items that he mentions, and I think that in particular the height variations could be easier implemented with the previous arrangement. Depending on whether just one or both of the businesses in that alayout are intended to be rail served, in addition to not being parallel to the base, you could also have a slight curve in the track. I think the last arrangement of the buildings looks too sequential, with all of them next to each other and allows for less of the proposed variation. (I don't really think it takes up less room either).

Urs
  • Joel, Thanks for your two cents worth. I am waiting to hear from the person I am building them for to make the final placement. Swissrail, I can n ot disagree with anything either you or Joel have said. I may just put them in this order for a show that is comming up and then let Rich cut them apart and put them on his layout where ever he wants. Thanks for your comments, Randy
  • edited April 4
    Great looking structures Randy, I know you are going to make a wonderfull scene whatever you decide, There are a hell of alot of details with those three kits so make sure you leave plenty of room for those...
    Keep up the posts and great pics.

Just a thought for you to play with...

Your original pic.
    randylayout

My first thought for adjustment.
    Tool shed moved to the right from the edge to allow space for details on the far left side.
    A wider road way to open it up a little more and not so cramped.
    Rigging shed again moved to the right to allow a more flowing feel and space for the details.
    Road curving away to the back left to create interest and minimise all the straight lines of sight.
    Lineside shed twisted more to follow the road curve and give it a nicer viewing angle looking between the two front structures and a natural feel.
    Added a second tree to fill space and add hight, alsofor added depth when looking from the right side.
    randylayout3

• Thank you for your excellent suggestions. I especially liked that you used the computer to give me a visual of what it would look like. I like this a lot. I decided to keep the track at the front of the diorama. I wanted the thack to have a real backwoods look. So I got some dead oak branches from the trees in my yard, cut them to length, and then sharpened the end. IMG_1987resized
    I then glued the ties down with epoxy and used a sanding block to sand the round ties flat on topIMG_1988resized
    I then cut code 70 rail into 39 ft. length and glued it in place. I will come back later and spike the rail to each tie. I then added grout to act as a filler for the first layer of ballast.
    Again later I will add sifted dirt for the final layer of ballast between the ties and to the sides of the track. Thanks again Karl for your suggestions. RandyIMG_1990resized
  • I think Karl's idea is very good. Makes the diorama more dynamic and gives possibilities with the barn. I love your idea to use the dead oak branches. Nice work Randy !!!
  • Thanks Robert, I thought it gave the track a more backwoods look. I now have gone back and spiked the rail with one spike on each side of the rail per tie. I also added some dark brown dirt as ballast. I did not want to use rock as I visualize this track belonging to a shoestring operation. The oak ties did present a problem as they are a lot harder than the basswood ties we normally use. I had to drill a hole for each spike. Here are two pictures of the dirt ballast, clumps of grass, and spikes. IMG_1992resized
    IMG_1991resized
    I need to clean up a little of the ballast from the inside of the rail and rust up the rail and spike heads. Thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Looks great.
  • Thanks Kevin, It has been fun. Randy
  • Really like the look of the ties. In my eye they look too new. It may be possible to stain them with A/I to weather them more. You also may consider "oil" drippings down the center of the track with some chalk powders.
  • edited April 10
    Tom, that sounds like a good suggestion. I may try that on a few ties on the right end and see how it looks. That end may get sliced off by two or three inches. Thanks for your input. Randy
  • Glad to be of assistance. Hope it works for you. Remember go easy and just try a little at a time till you get the look you want.
  • I like it, alex did something similar on one of his dioramas.
    Maybe dull down the new wood a little with some strategic a/i.
    But because they are temp and short lived they wouldn’t have weathered too much, so, pick your story and tell it with your skills.
  • Tom, I used chalk and alc on the left end and it was to dark. The IA on the rest worked better and took off the new look. Today was the 69th Bi annual St. Louis Area Narrow Gauge, SLANG, meeting. My rigging shed that I have posted about on this thread was awarded the Craig Brown award. IMG_1996resized
    This is the second one I have been blessed enough to win for an SW build. Thanks
    Brett. Randy
  • Congrats Randy, a well deserved award for a great build.
    The plaque says it all.
  • I will echo that !!! Bravo.. :smiley:
  • Thanks Karl and Robert, I am very proud of the honor as this group of narrow gauge modelers in St. Louis are very discriminating. Craig, along with John Kalin Set up the first Narrow Gague convention. Craig was also the NMRA President in the late 70's or early 80's. Thanks again, Randy
  • You should be proud ! well done.
  • Congrats! That shed is awesome!
  • Well done Randy.......
  • edited April 15
    Thanks again Karl, Tom and Carl thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Now to put all three buildings on the diorama. Randy
  • Really nice work. Well deserved.