visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My 3, 4, and 5th Sierra West Models

Comments

• Looks good! There is no right or wrong for detail placement. It's whatever pleases you. If I may suggest, perhaps dirty up the floor a bit. Especially were traffic patterns would occur.
  • Ken, thanks. I wanted the workbench with the doors and drawers at the back to seen through the big door. Then the shelfs with the boxes of parts should be next to the workbench. The big cabinet just fit to the right of the small door. I will be adding more small details like tools, cans, and bottles.
    Emery, that was straight from Brett's directions. If you can enlarge the photo the top of the corrugated metal has a lot of tiny holes from the PC board etchant.
    Tom, I agree. After I add more details I will darken the floor between the front and doors and across to the workbench. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Randy
  • Looks great Randy, indeed lots of 'clutter', yet still plenty of room to walk around and work in. The perfect combination.

I tend to spend more time sitting and staring in planning situations like this, and then the actual modelling just comes together in no time at all.

I like how it all looks.
  • Thanks, Karl. I still have chain, bottles, cans, and some of Bretts neet 3D printed logging details to add inside. I did a little adjusting to the door roller. It is now a little straighter. IMG_1875resized
  • Really like your approach to weathering of this wall and door!
  • ALCO and Kevin, Thanks for your kind comments. Randy
  • edited November 2023
    As I said I am going to add some of Brett's logging detail parts. I primed all of them with flat black. Here are three piles of parts. All of them were then brush painted with AK interactive gray like the pile on the left. The middle pile was then covered with black, gray, and white chalk dabbed on with an alcohol damped brush. The right hand pile was treated the same way but with rust colored chalks. I used Rembrandt chalks Burnt Sienna and Umber along with #235.3. The black castings are going inside the shed and the rusted ones are going to be broken in some way and then going on the junk pile outside. As usual all comments and suggestions are welcomed. RandyIMG_1878resized
  • edited November 2023
    I like the variations in the aging and weathing, I too like to weather the parts specifically for the age, scene and area they will appear in. It makes a difference and you have done it well.
    The great parts from Brett are also a plus in scene creation.
  • edited November 2023
    Looks great Randy, enjoying watching you put this all together!

The 3D Printed versions of the CHB logging blocks are a real game changer. Not only the re-release in O Scale, but especially the incredible HO Scale versions. Never had HO Scale in white metal.
  • Great idea Randy. Those details are wonderful and will fit right in to your project.
  • Those will be a great addition Randy!! Excellent idea.
  • Karl, Brett, Ken and Emery thank all of you for the kind and encouraging words. It means a lot to me that four great moderlers such as yourselves like my work. I worked on the rusted castings again last night breaking them in places and adding new bright rust at the break. IMG_1882resized
    I also did the final detailing of the inside of the shed. I may add a bottle or two but for the most part the inside is finished. Tom, I also added some black and gray chalk to the floor to denote high traffic areas. IMG_1879resized
    I think I need to add a little more chalk in front of the sliding door. There are five of Brett's castings scattered around the shed. Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Looks fantastic!
  • Thanks, Mike My next activity will be to make a removable roof
  • Turned out very nice!
  • Thanks, Tom
  • Man that looks great Randy! Something to be very proud of for sure.
  • Great looking Randy!
  • Lots of color but not too much and a nice grungy floor…love it!
  • Castings turned out great. Interior shot looks very natural.
  • Thanks, Emery, sdrees, Ken, and Brian for your comments. The next thing will be the roof. I want to make it removable. Brett only had one truss in this building. I needed more than that so I decided to scratch five. IMG_1883resized
    Above is the first one glued together. The second picture is of three sat in place. IMG_1884resized
    Now to finish two more and stain the wood. I will also need to come up with some new wood for the purlins. Thanks for looking and as usual any comments and suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • Randy, it looks like you're having a lot of fun with this kit. And , if I am not mistaken, that's the goal !!! Great work man !
  • With all the great interior work a removable roof makes perfect sense!
  • Thanks, Robert all the SW kits that I have built have been fun. Ken my thought exactly. Randy
  • I did a little more work on the rigging shed last night. I finished and stained the trusses. They are just setting in place in this picture.IMG_1887resized
    I also cut some strips of the weathered cedar I had from last year. This cedar is about half as thick as the cedar I used on the handcar shed about .013 inches.IMG_1889resized
    I then taped down four pieces of strip wood I am going to use as purlins and added three rows of shingles to see how they would look. I may need to destress them a little more but I think they will work. Thanks for looking and all comments and suggestions are welcomedresized
  • Shingles look pretty good as they are!
  • Nice looking shingles,
  • That's roof work is going to look amazing! Interesting wood grain.
  • Thanks, ALCO and Tom Just what nature can do. Ken, I certainly hope it will. I agree with you about the wood grain. But, that is just how the cedar weathered. The Sheets are to thin to try to use a wire brush on them until they are all glued in place. Thanks all, Randy