visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Looks outstanding Ken, and so 'clean'. Cant believe some of the shit you do in HO that looks so good.

Karl.A
  • Can you build me an O scale one for my Diorama?
  • Appreciate that Brett. I thought it turned out reasonably well.

Thanks Ed, it was a well pitched ball!...meaning...I look at each of Brett's incredibly detailed castings as a model itself. Rather than just cast a curved stove pipe, Brett casts the sectioned pieces where the bend occurs!...how can you help not say "I want to do something cool with this piece" So when you have great material to work with the rest is easy.

Thanks Karl, right...there was some really small pieces to get fit together without "slop". The cap is 1/8" square!

Hey Alan...sure my man...working that up in a scale you can see easily would take the fun out of it!
  • Update...spoke with my good friend Karl Allison and we discussed the stove pipe casting I did. Should have known, with Karl's fine scale modeling wisdom and talents, that he would have modeled this concept which he did. Karl did a marvelous O Scale scratch build of Brett's HO release of Duluth years ago. In that build he put together a stove pipe with a cap similar to mine. I think Karl used three supports rather than four and a peaked cap rather than a flat one...I don't know Karl...what do you think?...great minds kind of thing. Nah, probably not...I likely subliminally stole that idea! lol
  • Ken,
    Love the look of the pipe. It has a crusty look like the rust has layers. Is that due to layers of pastel?
    Mitch
  • Right Mitch, I use several layers of chalk one on top of the other to give it some depth. I just keep adding different rust tones until I get the look I like.

So right Ed!...I will allow the word crusty as it is so very close to my favorite which is grungy.
  • edited July 2017
    Brief update on BlueSky. Installed the stove pipe we have been discussing and got the roof done on the stone cook house. The Barn second story stairway is underway and not done yet. Decided to make the cook house roof corrugated to tie in the corrugated patches on the barn. Rather than use the card stock sub-roof I fashioned rafters and purlins so a few pieces of the corrugated could be skewed a bit and show the roof framing underneath. Moving along...

IMG_1777

IMG_1778

IMG_1764
  • The pictures look Fantastic. Love the stone work.
  • Those barn walls are simply incredible.

• Wow Ken, this is so well done. That first picture really shows the detail/coloring/variation that can be achieved with creative, thoughtful execution (which you spell out in your wood clinic). Aslo, the extra effort that went into that rotting corner with the exposed foundation was well worth it--ties in perfectly with the condition of the rest of the structure.

Again...this is HO! Unbelievable!
  • Looks great!
  • the wood weathering is fantastic. best you've done. (and that's saying something)

I keep on having to remind myself it's HO Scale. Wonderful stuff Ken...
  • Yeah Ken, Dr. Grunge does it again. I can't say it about the wood any better than Brett.
  • This is amazing work! Everything is perfect. The door on the cookhouse matches perfectly with the age of the barn. The rot is perfect as well as the smokestack. Enjoying every picture of your work as usual.
    Jim
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks much Alan, the stone casting was such a nice piece to work with and hard to believe it was a three piece casting. Brett's interlocking corners made for a flawless seam which is so important to look plausible.

Hey Karl, such a nice thing to say...thanks. Hard to over emphasize, as you know, the importance of careful and attentive wood treatment to the end result of any build.

Ed...thank you my man!

Thanks Bill, always look forward to your critique as you offer such a unique and keen perspective. I appreciate your thoughts on the corner treatment as your comments are exactly was I was striving for.

Bryan, thanks for the thumbs up.

Brett, appreciate you, your thoughts, and the wonderfully thought out and executed kit you produced here! As I mentioned before, 22 years old and your first kit and it looks as freash and innovative as if it were a 2017 release...now that's something. You taught me early on the importance of the handling of the stripwood in your kits. I have given that my utmost effort ever since and find it's one of the most enjoyable aspects of any SWSM build.

Thanks Stephen, more grunge to come...!

Hey Jim my friend!, how are you? Thanks so much for your thoughts, really means a lot. Brett mentioned in the BlueSky manual that the stone cook house was one of his favorite details and I would have to agree. So many cool features as you mentioned. Keep in touch.
  • Hey ken

Just catching up on your brilliant work. Going to go back and have another look.

Love the eroded soil section by the leaking drain pipe. Going to be real eye catching section on the finished diorama.
  • Hi Wes, Appreciate the thoughts and I will be highlighting that corner with a good bit of details on the finished diorama. Great that you noticed it as a key feature despite it being in the "back" which I did on purpose (added additional details). Many builds show off the "front" and give only minor attention to the details in the rear of buildings. With the stairs and landings, the Barn corner, Water Tank, Stone Cook House, and the added access door to the Dry Goods Store...the back is where its at!
  • Ken, you continue to amaze me. When we are in Altoona, I need a personal "rusting" session with you. Some folks, like me, are just slow learners. Phil
  • Well thank you Phil. Sounds like a plan Phil. I'm hoping to get BlueSky done by then!
  • Amazing work. Can't wait to see this one as it comes together.
  • Hey Joel, thanks much and neither can I!...which means I need to get busy and get some work done. Hope to see you this fall??
  • edited July 2017
    Current update on BlueSky. I have completed the Dry Goods store front and side porch and roof. Added the stack and support wires on the Dry Goods Store roof, Made a hanging sign and will be adding a few more signs here and there once the diorama is further along. Completed the Barn stairway, railings and roof. Just about ready to begin work on the storage shed...

IMG_1801

Note the hanging sign off the porch rafters

IMG_1804

IMG_1794
    Note the rotted and missing wood on the siding that extends to the deck boards on the porch.

IMG_1795

IMG_1799

Roof details...

IMG_1798

IMG_1819

IMG_1807

Side stairway and porch. The last set of stairs to the ground will be installed once the base dirt layer is put down.
  • edited August 2017
    The following picture shows the rot extending from the wall of the Dry Goods Store to a couple of boards on the porch decking. Plan for this kind of detail ahead of time that extends from one area to another...

IMG_1820
  • edited July 2017
    All the colors blend together perfectly. Like the missing board by the porch.
  • Wow, what incredible work Ken. Weathering is consistent and fantastic!
  • Hey Dr. Grunge, You have lived up to your nickname again. The weathering is incredible as Brett says.
  • Most impressive.
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks Alan, those porch boards are a bit spaced with rounded edges but that was on purpose as I plan to pack in real fine dirt since that walk way is ground level.

Such a pleasure and honor Brett to be building your very first kit...22 years ago and the materials and manual are flawless! Thanks for your thoughts and look forward to bringing this nostalgic and iconic SWSM Kit home...

Thanks Stephen, I'll have to be careful placing castings and other details so as not to cover up too much of that "grunge".

Down with that Ed...thanks!

Appreciate that Bryan.
  • Oh My! It is PERFECT!!!!!!!!

Jim
  • Ken, really great masterful building!! Phil