visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Thanks Phil, appreciate that. The more I think about it and study my tank I think you have a good point. There is a lack of contrast even for the look I'm going for. Stay tuned Phil and I'll see what I come up with. Not at all nit picking as we see what we see and it often takes an impartial viewer to point out issues. Bill took me to task on the siding of the Dry Goods Store and he was dead on right and I worked it a bit more and came up with a better look all around.
  • Ken, I look forward to it. Phil
  • In discussing the stone cook house from my BlueSky build with Karl, he suggested two things:

One was to add some of the darker, mossy, apperance to the stones close to the ground and where shade might promote the growth of the moss on the stones.

Secondly, he suggested having a drain pipe out through the stone wall from a sink along the wall below the window with a visible leak and build up of gunk and grunge down the wall.

There was an open "window" on the east side of the cook house, so I decided to put in an open window with just a screen...fun to do but will likely never be seen!

Both were astute suggestions and I couldn't wait to get at it. Here are the initial results before fine tuning once the castings gets attached to the barn and planted on the diorama. Thanks Karl...hope this is close to what you were thinking!

IMG_1652

IMG_1650

IMG_1651

IMG_1655

IMG_1659

Note the window screen in place...
  • Wow! All those tiny details are what draw the viewer in and worth the extra effort.
  • Wonderful, wonderful. Really, really love the drain pipe. Executed perfectly. Coloration on the stone is awesome. OK, awesome!
  • The drain pipe is so cool with the industrial waste oozing out.
  • Right on Ed!...thanks.

Thanks Bill, and I think the small details are well worth it also...the model knows when you're spending the time it deserves!

Appreciate that Brett, Karl was on point with that suggestion...

Thanks Bryan...yucky stuff there.
  • Looks good Ken. I like the darker shadowing at the base of the Stonework.
  • Hi Ken,

The stone work looks great Ken and all those little details add so much to it.
  • The moss is perfectly executed and I really like the corner it appears to have an overhang above it dripping water down the corner. The screen idea is exceptional and what a great idea from Karl about adding more to the casting. I thought it was exceptional to begin with but now it has more of a wow factor. Honestly, this is some of the nicest stone work you have done! I think it is nice to not have everything the same and not having every band on a tank always rusty adds a lot of variety. I am really looking forward to seeing this structure planted!

Jim
  • This is ridiculously nice! What did you do for the screen material?
  • Thanks Alan and I agree makes a big difference...

Appreciate that Stephen, "sum of the parts" kind of thing.

Hey Jim, very perceptive on the corner detailing, I knew you had a good eye for that kind of thing. Karl really came through with some great advise here for sure. The diormama base is glued up and painted base color so won't be much longer and things will start coming together.

Very nice thing to say Mike, thanks. I'll be sending you a PM soon...
  • edited June 2017
    You always amaze me. Sweet interpretation and execution. Perfect.

Karl.A
  • Continued great work. I'm really enjoying this build. Phil
  • Karl, back at ya my friend!...great suggestions and glad you approve...

Thanks Phil.
  • Great work. Looking forward to every new post.
  • Thanks Joel...sorry they are so far and few between! Steady she goes...
  • Excuse me. But what has happened to this build? Are you slacking again Ken?????

Hope all is well brother.
  • What's up Wes...despite a pathetic lack of posting I have made some progress on BlueSky, just nothing exciting to show yet. I put in a couple LEDs to illuminate the Dry Goods Store, most visible from the service counter I fashioned. The main structure has been glued down to the diorama base. The stone cookhouse is completed and soon to be glued to the base and the back of the barn. I'll get some pictures of things soon. I should progress at a good pace now that the base is completed. Sounds like a good excuse doesn't it?

That reeks of sarcasim Ed!...and if it wasn't meant that way it should have been...lol.
  • A quick update on BlueSky to get things back on track. As shown previously, the back corner of the barn has water damage from roof run off, outdoor plumbing leaks, etc... I decided to have the ground a bit sunken down and erroded in this corner in keeping with the water damage. I installed some large stone foundation blocks so the foundation could be a bit exposed and then completed the plumbing and drain down into the ground. I will then detail the ground with the rest of the diorama base and add some standing water...just a bit. The stone cookhouse is attached and I'm doing the roof now...more later...Ken

IMG_1747
  • Ed, Are those the love bugs you are talking about? Nice work Ken.
  • Phenomenal as always....
  • Thanks much Ed, appreciate it.

Glad to hear from you Stephen, and thanks...making some progress...

Kind words for sure Mike and nice to have you checking in. This corner of the barn and diorama should turn out interesting...have a few more things planned.
  • Ken,
    Realistic as usual. When I see the coloring of the wood I know it's your work. Your work is unique.
    What is the object on the wall left of the pipes?

Mitch
  • Thanks Mitch. That is whatever someone thinks it is! Just filler do-dad, my thought was a phone line connection box or some such thing?
  • I can get away with that kind of thing in 1:87 scale Ed! Seldom do you see a sterile scene as an example my exterior plumbing. It may have looked fine by itself but more often than not, a corner like that would have all kinds of pipes, wire, cables, etc...that is the look I am creating. Just lots of visual interest...and an occasional "wonder what all that stuff is?"...
  • And you create it so well, even in the beginning stages. Yet we know these are still only the basics and there is still more to come. Mastery.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, for sure just the basic stuff right now. Can't get to far ahead until I see how the diorama evolves.

• The roof has been installed on the stone cook house and the second story stairway for the barn is almost done. I decided to do some experimenting (fiddling) with the stock stove vent pipe for the cook house. I shortened the pipe just a bit and replaced the original cap, which was perfectly good, with a prototypical design I have seen but don't recall seeing modeled before.

The mounting ring is solder wire pressed a bit flat with the handle of my #11 blade and wrapped around the pipe and glued. The support posts are also solder and the cap is a piece of paper. Makes an interesting variation I think....

IMG_1756

IMG_1757
  • love it, awesome detail!