visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• Ken,

More outstanding modeling and mini-scenes.

Frank
  • edited December 2018
    IMG_4859

The rusted grate leaning up aginst the side of the Repair Shop in the previous post was left over from the construction of the grated platform (from my scrap box) keeping accumulated saw dust from being underfoot whilst running the table saw, and I added some steps for access to the lower yard (there you go Bill..."on the same page" as they say!).

IMG_4862

IMG_4843

IMG_4861

• Ken, That scene looks fantastic! The grate was just a natural addition as was the wheel barrow. (Perhaps Brett could add a grate and lazar parts to a future parts set)
    If the scene was extended towards the viewer just a couple more inches I'd expect the natural addition to be a container of old fuel oil safely separated from a burn barrel to dispose of the sawdust. (an led lighting opportunity) There was even a chance to insert the legs of a worker behind the segmented garage door and stack of plywood making your "hidden person" more difficult to find. (Thanks for having mercy on those of us with older eyes!)

As always I am in total awe of your level of creativity. It's easy to see why you have built a number of the master builds for Brett. He designs & builds so much flexibility into his kits but you always show us how to find it and express it. Your muted colors are so natural that the metallics lead the eyes. The texture changes accomplish the same thing, and I notice that you're very careful to avoid small signs that haven't been properly weathered. Every photo is a treat for the eyes and that's why "scale designations" seem to fade away in your hands. This entire build has been a joy to watch!!!
    Bill
  • I could repeat the last words Bill wrote. A joy to watch.

Me too am drawn to the roofs. The tarpaper looks like tarpaper. Not just dark grey paper. Well done Ken. (as usual)
  • Very nice Ken. Phil
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks prsdgt65...several more mini scenes to go!

Appreciate your critical eye Bill and kind comments. The frame work for the platform and the design of the platform was Brett's I just added the grated top and stairs. The wheelbarrows are a laser cut assembly Brett provides and they make for a wonderful detail, so hard to accomplish in 1:87! I like that idea of just the legs of a LP peeking from under the garage door opening...I think I could still do it!

Right you are Bill, I'm always kind of lean on my signage, call it a character flaw!

Thanks Robert, and I'm still looking at your build pictures...can't get enough!

Thanks much Phil.
  • Ken that is some beautiful work!!!

Jerry
  • Ken,

This is more of your really outstanding creative standard setting modeling. It seems like every photo you post gets me thinking about ways to improve my own modeling.

I had to laugh out loud when I read Bill's comment (above), "There was even a chance to insert the legs of a worker behind the segmented garage door and stack of plywood making your 'hidden person' more difficult to find." Great idea Ken and Bill. Got me thinking about how to include something like this in my next build.

Hope you realize that once this build is completed we will be in withdrawal until the next build begins. The antidote/remedy for our withdrawal would be for Brett to issue the O-Scale version of this kit so the O-Scale modelers can get started.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Turned out great.
  • Fantastic work Ken. It’s really coming together now.

-Steve
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks much Jerry.

Thanks again Dave. Yeah, Bill's comment cracked me up also. Once the diorama is done and all the details in place, my LP will not be real easy to see and he's already Epoxied down. Also, I hate to waist a nice detailed figure on just feet!lol.

Appreciate that Bryan. I ended up using fine sifted real sawdust on the ground areas and used powder on the table saw top as the sawdust was still too coarse to look right up there.

Hey Steve, nice hearing from you. It is coming together and I'm on the home stretch for sure. Finishing up the detail work on the sand bay and back side of the Foundry building. Only a couple scenes to go but they are significant...back to work...Ken
  • Really a great build, Ken....looking forward to your next
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry...much to do here yet!
  • edited December 2018
    Finished up the sand bay and track side of the Foundry.

IMG_4883

View of the sand bay. Note the metal shelf with the sand riddles that are used to rough sift the sand before shoveling into the foundry through the hinged door.

IMG_4886

Brett included several highly detailed pipe castings for use as parts/clutter for the Office scene. This casting in particular caught my eye and I couldn't just use it for clutter, it was just too nice. So, I made a handle for the valve and installed it on the back side of the Foundry. Its use?....I don't know, just looked good to me!

IMG_4888

Can't have a beautiful stone building without some classic ivy growing up on the somewhat neglected side!

IMG_4890

Another two scenes down and three or so to go...
  • Here's another full side shot and a close up of the pipe casting I mentioned above...

IMG_4885

IMG_4886A
  • Ken,

You have created another very natural track side scene for us to enjoy. Sometimes less clutter is more....more realistic. In this case it allows the viewer to look more closely at the sand pile and delve into that corner niche and focus on the detail in the stone wall, the natural vegetation along the wall base and the track details.

Looks to me like what you created using Brett's castings is either an above ground supply line with a shut off for water or natural gas.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • You are right about the pipe fitting. Looks much better "in use".
  • Hi there Dr. Grunge,

Merry Christmas! The pictures above are truly fabulous. The scenery is spot on. They say the Devil is in the details and oh my.... The plywood looks very realistic next to the table saw and I really like the cutoffs against the wall as if they are going to be used for patterns. What did you use for this?

I like the jacket hanging on the hook in front of the table saw. Another great detail. All the clutter around the walls simply fantastic.

I really like the vine climbing up the wall as well. I remember you made some vines on your Duluth build. Did you make these or commercially buy something to represent vines?

Fantastic build,

Jim
  • Thanks Dave and sounds good to me.

I agree Bryan.

Merry Christmas to you as well Jim. Appreciate the comments my friend. For the plywood I used left over laserboard from the kit and copied Brett's patterns to same. Weathered with my chalk and my chalk paper to get some simulated grain and color tone variety.
    You are the first to notice the jacket Jim!...thanks for mentioning it as I was hoping it looked a bit like it.
    I'm sending you a PM on the vine material...

Thanks Ed. Appreciate you saying so.

I have decided not to post anymore pics of individual scenes. I will post finished pics when it's done.
  • edited December 2018
    Ken, This build has been fabulous and It's a shame to think that we're getting so close to the end. Please post many closeups of those two areas that were going to be individual scenes so you can receive the praise due! then post more, more, and more still.
  • i'm in complete awe. remarkable work. "museum quality" has nothing on you or sierra west.
  • I agree with Dave, sometimes less is more. It's a simple scene, but equally effective. Those windows!!!! That really makes the scene and I really like the ivy growing up the wall. Phil
  • Thanks guys, will post some pictures when it's wrapped up.
  • edited December 2018
    I’m seriously gonna miss this build ;-((
    Terry
  • Me too Terry!

Wasn't going to post anything until the final pics but just had to highlight a couple of details Brett came up with so they get the attention they deserve!

First is the Coke Cart. This beautiful little cart is made up of both chipboard and laserboard parts. This guy is used to move the coke from the outside storage bin to the inside of the Foundry. I invisioned a galvanized bin/hopper, for both strength and for being light weight, steel wheels to hold up rolling over rough coke and the shop floor.

I spray painted the bin pieces gray and the handles and wheels brown. To get the galvanized look I then weathered with black chalk followed by hand rubbing with 408.10.
    I gave it a round styrene axle and then rusted both the handles and wheels. I made the bottom "feet" from solder wire smushed flat then bent accordingly and Epoxied to the base.

IMG_4930

Finished Coke Cart prior to planting on the diorama.

Second are the old Mold Boxes. These amazing details are made from laser cut chipboard and assemble quick and easily. There are five main styles of boxes and each one can be modified as desired. I spent one day working these mold boxes up and they are such a wonderful detail...

IMG_4948

Finished grouping of various styles of the Mold Boxes...and this isn't all of them, just what would fit on the stage!

Both these brilliantly designed details are first of their kind anywhere and serve to illustrate why SierraWest Scale Model kits are truely the finest kits available.
  • Ken, WOW. Seeing the individual finished details before they appear on the build is a great way to spotlight them. Love the finishing details also as we are seeing them in close-up photos- (what camera are you using?)
    Bill
  • Brilliantly designed details, but equally executed Ken. I like it very much.
  • Thanks Bill...iPhone 6s

Appreciate it Robert.
  • edited December 2018
    Thank you for the pm. I hope you got my response back. If not let me know. The boxes and cart are very well done. Those boxes are begging to be filled with details! I really like the shut off valve on the above picture. Hummm.... the connection between Oneill's and the Foundry?
    Jim
  • Ken, you finished those mould boxes so well that I started searching for more information about their use in that era. Here are a few photos: 1900_foundry training class
    Mountian Iron works-2
    Mountian Iron works-5
    Pour into mould box

Bill