visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• Hey Dave,

Hoist pulleys are set to be hooked up to the gantry crane to load the mill engine drive wheels...
  • Great placement of castings. You really can't tell this is a model, much less an HO model. Phil
  • Phil, you got that right, but hey, this is Ken.
  • edited December 2018
    Stunning work. For the O scale version you pretty much just have to enlarge your model and put it in a box. The detail is beyond what most achieve in O scale. Great work.
  • that's some spectacular modeling ken. i can only hope to emulate your work.
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks Phil. You level a good point here that I'd like to expand on, and that's the importance of a good pilot model and Brett's construction manual and the placement of the castings. Although I often vary the placement of castings and details for my models, having such a wonderful pilot model and the highly detailed pictures of the finished scenes gives me the basis for the scene construction. Brett has done an enormous amount of research into the back story and production flow of all his kits so the key components of each and every scene is there for a reason. So do I move things around a bit and add or subtract minor details to suit my modeling taste and how I want to personalize the scene?...sure, do I pay attention and maintain key components so the overall plan is maintained?...you bet! Here's a good example...

If you refer to my recently posted pictures of the Pattern Shop wood Dock. In the manual Brett states "The wooden barrel contains talc and the drums contain molding oil and kerosene. The small stack of sacks contain lime." So, I am for sure going to maintain these key components in the scene. Is my wood barrel under the window on the left side of the dock like the pilot model?...no, I moved it over to the right side with the stack of sacks casting. On the left side of the dock I have 5 barrels, 2 large and 3 small. Rather than color them all the same or 5 different colors, I colored 2 yellow (molding oil) and 3 blue (kerosene) which maintains the integrity of the overall plan. Then I added various details including the junk accumulation under the dock, etc. to give me the scene I invisioned and personalize it to my taste and things I like to model.

Coming up on my next post will be the Tempering Shed scene which illustrates this concept even more!...this scene is one I'm really having fun with...more later.

Sorry for the long winded response but it's Phil's fault for getting me started!
  • Thanks for the thought there Karl...

Appreciate that Joel, and if I can get close to the detail you O Scale guys are producing here I'll be happy!

Hey Kevin, thanks much my friend!...
  • Outstanding Ken. Love the way you are bringing all the parts together and making it your own.
  • Thanks my good man!...
  • I worked most of the day today detailing the Tempering Shed scene and just finished it up. I'm posting a couple of pictures of the very back of the scene by the tempering oven. This area is a bit hard to see with the rest of the detailing in place. Will post the remainder when I get good photo conditions...

IMG_4512

I decided to put in a concrete pad in front of the tempering oven. This will provide a solid base for my light pole and create a mini-scene by itself for accumulated details.
    Note the rotted area of the lower wall...this was planned from the very beginning as this is one of the few areas of the wall to ground contact visible on the Pattern Shop.

IMG_4511

Note the light pole with the concrete mounting flange at the base and the thicker base portion of the pole.

IMG_4524

I took the light shade included in the kit and "dished it out" with my #11 blade to create a concave shade and then added an Epoxy light globe, not a bulb.

More later...Ken
  • Oh...yup that's the swing up style garage door sitting on top of the repair shop roof...why?...I'll explain later when I post pictures of the finished Tempering Shed scene!
  • Ken, you're modelings so good you blew the doors off?

Karl.A
  • Amazing work, as always. Love the little scene.
  • Nice scene. What do you think about a black mold streak running from the rotted roof to the rotted wall? Wouldn't these be connected?
  • Appreciate that Karl and always look forward to your appreciation of the small details.

Thanks Joel, I have the entire Tempering Shed scene about done with much work going into an area about 4" x 2" !

Good idea Bryan, rookie mistake!
  • edited December 2018
    I finished up the Tempering Shed scene. Had a blast with this little gem of an area that Brett came up with. The production flow allows for the flat bar stock to be brought in and cut to various lengths and then taken into the the shed to be tempered in the oil fuled furnace. I decided to make a hand push cart on channel rail to facilitate the delivery of the cut stock into the shed.

Keep in mind the surrounding details such as the road, etc...is not completed yet. This is just the main scene detail...

IMG_4573

Note the double barrel bench support. I made the bench top a solid piece of steel for strength and rigidity to the cutting bench.

IMG_4582

I played around with the height of the roller stantion so the flat bar stock was level with the vise...

IMG_4576

A view of the laser cut stock support rack. A great innovative detail Brett came up with that just makes the scene!

IMG_4577

Note the scratch built push cart with the repurposed flat bar stock on the front as a bumber when pushed into the tempering shed.

IMG_4581

Overhead shot showing the general layout, foot traffic and production flow...

IMG_4580

Next up will be the front and side of the Repair Shop...
  • A masterpiece, my friend. Jaw dropping!
  • Thanks much Eric...thought a couple of close ups would show a few of the details to advantage...

IMG_4577a

IMG_4581a
  • edited December 2018
    Ken,

A few adjectives come to mind immediately: impressive, creative, artistic and believable.
    One scene that could dominate and be the focus of any diorama for sure just based on its simplicity and and speaking to the purpose of the tempering shed itself. Great photos as well. Could we sneak in a ground level closeup of the bench area from either side of the barrels before more scenery is added?

Speaking for myself and other SierraWest O-Scale modelers this build has us/myself primed and pumped-up for the O-Scale kit version. Bring it on!

Thanks, Later. Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • I keep coming back and looking at these latest few sets of pictures. Just outstanding!
  • Ken. A very great job on everything keep it up. .........Carl...........
  • Hi Ken,

You are the master!!!!!!!!!! All the details and junk piles are just great. Where is the LP?
  • Well thanks Dave and no problem on the additional pictures. I'll work on that here in a bit.

Appreciate that Brett and your development of this scene was masterful!...lent itself to so many wonderful detail ideas. What I love is that despite this scene being worked up by itself, it immediately is tied and flows from the concrete dock scene around to the front of the repair shop. The pile of bar stock up aginst the concrete dock softens the transition into the tempering shed yard area and the stock support rack moves the scene right around to the front of the repair shop...how cool is that...if this quality of a true craftsman fine scale modeling kit doesn't get you guys excited you need to be doing something else!

Thanks Carl and nice hearing from you.

Hey Stephen, thanks man...ahh...you must wait and find the poor little bugger! He will probably not be detectable until the final pictures when the dio is complete.
  • Absolutely stunning stuff Ken. Beautiful modeling from every angle and every aspect. So very very well done.

Karl.A
  • Great heraing from you Karl and thanks much my friend...so much enjoy your critique.
  • You have friends?
  • Ken nice detailing. Great job on the little cart!

Yes Carl he's like you he has friends!!!

Jerry
  • I have one friend and the rest of you goof balls I have to pay to play along!lol
  • Great work on the details but I really can't say enough about the scene composition. The ground cover and the transitions to junk piles... the piles of iron bar and piping are so natural. Amazing work.
  • Thanks Jerry...the cart worked out good.

Here are a few of the closer uppers you asked about Dave...hope they help and let me know if not.

IMG_4604

IMG_4583

IMG_4602

IMG_4596

IMG_4605