visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• I like those boxes a lot.
  • Excellent photos Bill, thanks!

Thay are a top notch detail for sure Bryan.
  • Brett,
    When I see the total # of views for Ken's official build of this kit it seems to have exceeded the previous totals and he's still not completed it yet.
    I would think everyone has to be very pleased with the response and the total amount of creativity being displayed. Ken has been able to take ideas seen in the "O scale" world and adapt it to our HO universe (half O)! All I can say is I am very pleased to have purchased my kit and received the fabulous tutoring in both the manual and this official build. I've copied everything into a Word document, highlighting many of Ken's techniques so I can easily find specifics on my laptop.
    I know that the river front theme ties the trio of kits together but "Perhaps" another machine shop and/ or a power house could join the metal-working theme someday.

Just a fantastic kit!!! Thank you.
  • I couldn’t agree more with Bill’s comments. Like Bill, I keep a record (pdf) file of the many builds as well as an Excel spreadsheet of all teaching topics I think I’ll need at some point in time and want to find a topic easily and quickly
    Terry
  • Hey Bill really appreciate the support here and the kind words. Working hard to wrap things up here in the next week or so. Details, details....

Thanks much Terry.
  • Hey Ken, a great build with a huge viewership is a recognized winner and I think we all need to acknowledge that Brett has an absolute winning combination when you are linked to his kits. The stats point that out. The photos are just fantastic and as many have already said... we don't want this one to end. I just hope that the metal-working theme can continue beyond the riverfront "supply" stage.
    Bill
  • Thanks again Bill. Spent the day today building the Gantry Crane trestles and hoist...this assembly and the Tempering Oven stack are the last two construction projects. Should prove and interesting final photo session as I repurposed two additional pipe assemblies that Brett included in the kit and are just too nice to be junk/clutter!, added a tree, fence, etc...
  • Is it bad that I will be sad when your done with this project... lol
  • won't we all?
  • edited January 2019
    Hey Mike and Kevin, I'm with ya...will miss hanging with you guys during the building of this wonderful kit. So many unique and innovative features Brett developed that made this build so special. Looking forward to posting the completed build hopefully this weekend.
  • are you gonna jump on the O scale truck repair? you know what they say....once ya go O scale you never go back.
  • Not on the radar at this point...admittedly a wonderful and highly detailed O release that should produce some killer build threads...
  • edited January 2019
    Ken will be helping me with The Riverfront pilot model, along with Karl. Joel will be handling the official forum build duties for the Truck Repair.
  • Brett,

Great news on both fronts, truly a win, win for both HO and O scale modelers. We here on the forum have enjoyed the masterful modeling of these gentlemen as well as many other masters who present their work for our enjoyment as well as enlightenment.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • I follow and learn from both O And HO builds....much to learn from this group
    Terry
  • Quite an honor to be involved with The Riverfront pilot model and thrilled at the opportunity! Thanks guys.
  • edited January 2019
    I decided to post a couple of pics of some fun details I came up with for the area under the Gantry Crane Trestle and hoist whilst waiting for the final pics of the finished diorama. This area has various equipment that is scheduled to be loaded and shipped out or being received.

I wanted to highlight these two details before they get harder to spot with the rest of the scene clutter...

IMG_4990

First up is a large engine casting. I mounted it on a pallet covered by a tarp and rope stay. Pallet is a wonderful laser cut detail from the kit. I used painted tissue paper for the tarp and string weathered with chalk.

IMG_4991

Next is a group of three drive wheel castings chained to a pallet. Back to work...Ken
  • Good example here of why photos are a modeling tool. I noticed in the first pic of the large engine casting that the finish was too dull. I had given it a light wash of gray paint since it is suppose to be fairly new. It didn't look right as the gray was dulling down the buffed blackened casting so I re-did it below...better I think.

IMG_4999
  • Ken,
    These close-ups of details are fantastic. Adding that tarp is a great visual change and your revision is a winner. The smaller drive wheels are also probably truer to the size of the castings that could be found at a foundry of this size. (along with manhole covers, sash weights, plow points, fire hydrants, and plumbing castings.... whatever small items might be in the parts box) Great work
  • Hi Ken

Just catching up again and Im blown away by your creativity and brilliance to make something so small look so real. Its going to make whatever scene you put them into look beautiful.

Keep it up bud
  • Ken, some how you have forgotten that HO does have an H in it. Without the H it becomes merely O. You really should pay attention to such things because it really annoys the rest of us. [Maine humor, forgive me.]
  • Thanks Bill for your comments and keen eye. Everything here is included in the kit save for the tissue paper tarp and string! Brett's selection of white metal castings in this kit are just amazing. I used three of the pipe castings that were included in the kit for use in clutter scenes, and used them for main details. They were so crisp, clean, and just looked great had to pull them out for main duty work.

Yo Wes, what up?...nice hearing from you as always. Thanks so much my good man...can't wait to start building the scenes around these two pieces...starting tonight when I'm done "chatting" with you boys...

Cracked me up Eric and thanks. Will venture on in HO as long as my eyes and steady hands hold up!
  • Great details, fantastic eye. I have to agree with Bill, you and Brett make a fabulous pair. Never seen a modeller so perfectly matched with a kit manufacturer/creative genius. You guys seem to feed off each other and the results are spectacular. So looking forward to the final pics but that would mean this exciting ride will be over.
  • Joel said:

Great details, fantastic eye. I have to agree with Bill, you and Brett make a fabulous pair. Never seen a modeller so perfectly matched with a kit manufacturer/creative genius. You guys seem to feed off each other and the results are spectacular. So looking forward to the final pics but that would mean this exciting ride will be over.

Couldn't say it better Joel!!

Jerry

• Hey Joel, can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning than sipping a cup of jo and reading your comments here, honored to be in the company of all you guys. I certainly appreciate the thoughts and you bring up a very interesting point. I was fortunate enough to find SierraWest Scale Models very early in my modeling. Brett's Tool Shed was my very first craftsman kit I ever built. In addition to finding the best company I found the best people. The old saying "if you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people" holds true here as well. From the first conversations I had with Brett and Karl Allison I knew I had found the group I wanted to be associated with. And then I was introduced to the forum and you guys which of course sealed the deal! The likes of Brett, Karl A., Bill O., Carl L., and you Joel were some of the premier modelers that I heard about, read about and studied their modeling and am thrilled to now call my friends. The legacy of those I was not fortunate enough to have met in person live on here on the forum.

I mentioned somewhere, very early on, that a SWSM kit brings out the best in a modeler...You just feel the dedication, innovation and commitment to quality when you first open a SWSM kit. The period, style and design of Brett's kits perfectly matches what I enjoy modeling...I don't think I could build a modern structure if I had to...may the grunge never die!
  • Thanks much Jerry!

Snowing here in central Ohio, no pictures today which is OK since I have a few more things to tweak on the build anyway...
  • edited January 2019
    Good morning guys.
    One of the nice things about North Dakota is all those storms keep passing by to the South of us!
    In-between Ken's construction episodes I can spend time exploring the history questions below the surface in Brett's kits. i.e. Ken's use of pallets in the latest photos made me wonder how they were moved about in 1920? I found an 1918 photo of a pallet truck (jack) but I haven't found an early forklift. There was a photo of a warehouse with a comment about the lower stacks in that era because material couldn't be lifted as high by hoists.
    Anyway here's that early photo in case any of you are into details in period models. New Pallet truck photo
  • Pallet Jacks have evolved vey little in a hundred years....but when a design works why change it
    Terry
  • Ken. Thank You for the kind words. ....Carl......
  • That's a great illustration Bill, and a piece that would be wonderful to model...Brett's unmatched skill on the laser details...hmmm.

That stack of whatever that gal is ready to move looks like an accident waiting to happen!

Credit where credit is due Carl...